cultural win

drcool

Chieftain
I'm new to CIII and trying to achieve my first win through cultural victory. Please give me some advice for the following:

1) My total cultural point is now 10800 on the domestic adviser screen. But how do I find out my current cultural point/turn (overall and in each city)?

2) In ancient era, should I concentrate on building wonders or on buliding city's infrastructure (temple, library, etc)?

3) Any good example of a cultural win that someone can provide?

Thanks.

So, I played as the Babylonians for the religious and scientific bonuses. In all my cities I built a temple, library, cathedral, university, colloseum in that order as soon as possible (you may need to build other things in the meantime). Before I tried to build a wonder, I would make sure either I needed it or it gave a lot of culture points. I had a lot of big cities because I was careful about placing them. Finally, I made sure to place my Forbidden City wonder in a good location.

I don't think trying to achieve a cultural victory is a good idea. However, you still need cultural structures. The first thing I build in my cities (except for the defender unit) is the temple. This increases the borders and makes citizens happy - an important thing if I don't have access to luxuries yet. If the city gets at least 10 commerce points I build a library and a university as soon as possible. Cathedral is the last cultural structure I build. If your city is rich, you can also build a market (it gives commerce and happiness), instead of colloseum (too expensive to maintain a colloseum in all cities).

I was trying for a diplomatic win, but five turns before I would have had the UN built, I hit the cultural win. Most unexpected. All I did was randomly set up cities where they look good, assimilate every city I can, never, EVER raze a city, and beat everyone else to every wonder. Each and every wonder. No matter how worthless, build them all.

I'm still a bit miffed about that UN thing, though....

I was trying for a diplomatic win, but five turns before I would have had the UN built, I hit the cultural win. Most unexpected. All I did was randomly set up cities where they look good, assimilate every city I can, never, EVER raze a city, and beat everyone else to every wonder. Each and every wonder. No matter how worthless, build them all.

I'm still a bit miffed about that UN thing, though....

Yeah, I'm almost tempted not to choose that option as a victory condition. On Huge maps it's too easy for me to get a cultural victory (100,000 cp) . I try to build all the wonders, on the harder levels you have to give up on the early ones, then start building the wonders when you know your ahead in tech. I don't randomly put my cities anywhere, but I hate deciding where to put them so they aren't too close, and not too far away. So I set up a pattern that I place my cities, regardless of resources, etc. I place all cities three squares away on the diagonal. This leaves just one expty square in between four cities and there is on average of four squares per city that are given up to another city when it's up to it's 21 square potential. Easily enough to support 16-20+citizens. The only thing that screws up my pattern is water squares and mountains :mad: . But this would probably only work on Pangea maps, because Island maps you would want to make sure there were more cities on the coast.

I don't think trying to achieve a cultural victory is a good idea. However, you still need cultural structures. The first thing I build in my cities (except for the defender unit) is the temple. This increases the borders and makes citizens happy - an important thing if I don't have access to luxuries yet. If the city gets at least 10 commerce points I build a library and a university as soon as possible. Cathedral is the last cultural structure I build. If your city is rich, you can also build a market (it gives commerce and happiness), instead of colloseum (too expensive to maintain a colloseum in all cities).

I build all the improvements in all cities (by the time you get all the way to building a collesuem, your city should be near size 12, and should be making enough money to easily support it, especially if you are in Republic or Democracy). My usual production order: (aquadects, courthouses varies by city, so I won't put those in)

1. Temple
2. Library
3. Marketplace (for the commerce and happiness bonuses)
4. University
5. Bank
6. Colleseum
7. Cathedral (If I have the Sistine Chapel, then I'll move this up the list)

I suppose you could put number 4 ahead of 3 if your not worried about cash reserves, same with number 5, it could go lower on the list.

1) My total cultural point is now 10800 on the domestic adviser screen. But how do I find out my current cultural point/turn (overall and in each city)?

On the cultural advisor screen (F5), it tells you your total of all cities at the top, then it will also list each city, just select the city, and it will say when each improvement was built, and how many culture points (cp) it has added to your civ total. You need 20,000 in one city or 100,000 in your entire civ to win.

2) In ancient era, should I concentrate on building wonders or on buliding city's infrastructure (temple, library, etc)?

If a cultural building has been completed for more than 1000 years the culture from it doubles (Temples would produce 4 cp instead of 2 every turn), so if you can build these quickly it helps because it doesn't take long before those 1000 years are up in the early game. I focus on expanding first, you want as many cities as you can before the AI claims all the land, then immediatley build those cultural improvements. More cities = more cp /turn (as long as they can support the improvements)

What I do on the Huge maps is have my capital build something like this to start (depending on situation):warrior, warrior, settler, warrior, settler, temple, wonders. The settlers it built will be your next settler/warrior factory until your done with your expansion, and hopefully that temple will keep your citizens happy until you can get some luxuries connected to it. This works great if your capital is built on a river, or if not, if a nearby city is I'll have that one build the first wonders (free aqueduct, so hopefully you'll reach 12 citizens fast, and have enough production to build the wonders quickly). With this stategy, you shouldn't have a problem on Chieftain building all the wonders in your capital (except the coastal ones, unless you are on the coast). Having most, if not all the wonders, plus all the cultural city improvements in all your cities, and the AI doesn't stand a chance. So he'll get mad at you and try to squash your culture crusade with his military, so make sure you are well defended.

For a cultural win, isn't it 100,000 cp AND having at least double the culture of any other civ?

So on a huge map, other civs will also produce lots of culture, so it might easy to get 100,000 cp but not double the culture of any civ.

In my current game I am estimating that I'll hit 100,000 points in about 50 turns, but no way will I have double the culture points of any other civs. My nearest competitors are only 'impressed' with my culture.

Tell me if I read the manual incorrectly and you only need 100,000 cp with no other conditions!

To sgrig, you need at least 100,000 AND double that of the next biggest culture, so you could go over 200k to get CV!

Wonders add to culture, a lot of cultural improvements in most of your cities add much more! Building temples and marketplaces will give you a lot of happiness and reasonable culture building early in the game, but the main focus should be on expansion. Once in industrial age you can start building the other cultural buildings in the abundance of cities you should then have and from there, if you choose so, cultural victory is at hand! :) :) :)

I've recently submitted a game following exactly this pattern to the HOF as monarch and hopefully the Duke will submit the new HOF today! Did 8700+ points btw.

Is it not better to build a library before building a temple? Library is cheaper in the shields and gives three cultural points, while a temple is more expensive in shields than libraries and gives only two cultural points. Your comments please.

Kalkas

kalkas, the shield cost of city improvements depends upon the civ you're playing. Religious civs, for example, need less shields to produce temples, while scientific civs need less for libraries and universities. It's true that libraries are higher in cultural points, but for quick border expansion a temple might be a quicker build than other improvements. :)

peso79

Originally posted by sgrig
For a cultural win, isn't it 100,000 cp AND having at least double the culture of any other civ?

So on a huge map, other civs will also produce lots of culture, so it might easy to get 100,000 cp but not double the culture of any civ.

In my current game I am estimating that I'll hit 100,000 points in about 50 turns, but no way will I have double the culture points of any other civs. My nearest competitors are only 'impressed' with my culture.

Tell me if I read the manual incorrectly and you only need 100,000 cp with no other conditions!

I played a game on warlord with 6 civs other than myself. I think I got my culture points up to 240k (abouts) before I won via cultural victory. Which is a good thing considering it was 2010 and I was third from the top on the histograph.

I thought you needed at least 80000 cultural points AND have at least double the points of the number two on the cultural ladder.

The question about the cultural points of temples: I have noticed that in the first cities where temples are built, their cultural points are four instead of two. Have you also noticed this curious thing?
Kalkas

Originally posted by peso79
kalkas, the shield cost of city improvements depends upon the civ you're playing. Religious civs, for example, need less shields to produce temples, while scientific civs need less for libraries and universities. It's true that libraries are higher in cultural points, but for quick border expansion a temple might be a quicker build than other improvements. :)

peso79

Thanks peso79 for the clarification. I will follow your advice.:)
Kalkas

Originally posted by kalkas
The question about the cultural points of temples: I have noticed that in the first cities where temples are built, their cultural points are four instead of two. Have you also noticed this curious thing?
Kalkas

read above posts. The culture doubles for a structure that has been around for 1000+ years.

it seems others turn order wa smore militaristic than i thought. the first thing i build in any city, including my first is a temple.
if im the aztecs il start puting out jaguars if its early in the game and i wont even bother with settlers because i can take over ciies faster than make them.

if i have cathedrals they are the second thing i make. they are cheaper than similar units if you are rel and are better if you get sistine chapel. i dont always bother with defensive units.

my pattern of culture is usually similar. i boom out after about 20 turns and usually have a bout 80% of world culture at the beginning and then gradually fade downwards. i have found no ways to stop this. any ideas?

my pattern of culture is usually similar. i boom out after about 20 turns and usually have a bout 80% of world culture at the beginning and then gradually fade downwards. i have found no ways to stop this. any ideas?

Wow, 80% is impressive. But this isn't too hard to do I guess since the AI usually doesn't build many culture buildings very early in the game. There really isn't a way to keep that 80% dominance though, since there are only so many culture producing buildings you can build. The only other way is to get more cities and put improvements in all of them. Also consider that the AI will eventually put all the culture improvements in his cities, too, so in order to have 80% of the world's culture, you would probably need close to 80% of the world's cities.

It is 80,000 cp, not 100,000, but that DOES have to be at least twice the amount of the next highest civ. So to win a CV with 80,000 cp, all the other civs would have to have less than 40,000 cp, which would never happen unless you are playing with like 2-3 opponents or something.

Also, the 2:1 ratio you are looking for on the trade advisor or foreign advisor screen is "admirers." Every other civ must be at least "admirers" of your culture, Just impressed doesnt cut it. :(

I am a major pacifist in all my games usually (unless someone really pisses me off -- Bismarck and Shaka mostly) so I almost always win either diplomatically or culturally. Cultural victories seem to be a little easier if you can build up your culture quick. Diplomatic victories are tricky because you never know who the AI is actually gonna vote for until you call the vote, and if you lose, you lost the game.

Little off topic here (not much), has anybody managed to win a culture victory on deity level (if so, you're a civ stud in my book)? Seems almost impossible (unless you kill everbody I suppose).

Almost every game I have had on deity level, at least one civ was slightly or way ahead of me in culture for most the game.

On the assumption you can win on Diety by conquest, I think your only chance is to kill all civs with the exception of one, and leave that civ with a single land-locked city. Surround that city with lots of defensive units, and then populate the rest of the world, knowing that you only need enough military units to defend yourself from barbarians.

It's possible, but not too much fun IMHO.

Here's an interesting question:

When going for a cultural victory, is it better to choose a Civ that is Scientific/Religious for the bonuses in producing the cultural structures? The quick answer is yes; however, let's say you choose an Industrious and Commercial civ. You will spend twice as many shields on those improvements, but you won't have to waste population and shields on as many workers, and you'll have better produciton due to lower corruption throughout the empire.

I'm just throwing this out there. Ultimately, the better players will do well with whatever type of civ they choose. I've noticed the French tend to have a very high culture as an AI civ; then again, so do the Babylonians. Ultimately, the AI civs that avoid war do the best culturally. (One solution, by the way? Entangling alliances and large world wars.)

And hi Peso79.

Top Bottom