1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

cultural winning in civ 5 is plain stupid

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Jim Bro, Mar 6, 2011.

1. gingerbill

gingerbill Prince

I like cultural victories , in the middle of one at the moment , something diffrent . I love being surrounded by huge armies while trying to remain peaceful .

2. Stuie

Stuie Laudir Agus Mir

Uncheck the box if you don't like it. You only have to play with the victory conditions you like. Seems simple enough. :)

3. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

Doesn't seem any more or less stupid than taking over the entire world. Because, you know, that's happened so many times in history. Takes less time and repetition too, at least in my experience.

4. Venger

Venger Give it a tumble, sport

Word up.

I am playing an OCC on emperor now as Greece on a large map with 24 city states and am well positioned for either a cultural (the active path), diplomatic (plan B), or tech (plan C, not a very good one) victory.

It's as valid a victory path as any other, and like any condition you make a lot of sacrifices to get it. If you are OCC or you end up being stuck as a small backwater, it's a way to achieve victory.

And I say this as someone who in Civ4 unchecked EVERY victory condition box but Conquest/Domination.

5. Strategist83

Strategist83 King

OP, I completely concur with you, I too find the cultural victory idiotic and a plain 'just for the win' option. IMO social policies should cost a lot less and cultural victory should be much easier to attain.

And, like others have noted, the 'Economic Victory' is horrendous, as well. That is mostly because the AI is so poor, however, and has less to do with the victory condition itself.

6. norpo

norpo Chieftain

I honestly think on the victory conditions option bit they should put a notation 'for sissies' beside everything but military victory.

7. cccv

cccv King

Unless the OP wants to explain what exactly he thinks is wrong with a culture victory, this is just a "my style of playing civ is the only right way to play civ" thread.

8. Bandobras Took

Bandobras Took Emperor

People have been complaining about cultural victory being stupid ever since the concept was introduced, and have sounded just as silly since Civ 3. :)

9. _hero_

_hero_ King

I sort of agree that Cultural victories are kind of lame. Any victory which punishes you for expanding your empire is anti-Civ to me. I mean, I like social policies and have won my fair share of cultural victories pretty quickly, but it involves lame puppeting and never building a settler.

10. Civsassin

Civsassin Immortal

Representation was changed to address this. If you get to it early in the game - prior to expanding - you can expand and still keep a cultural victory within reach.

11. vexing

vexing knows

getting a victory is easy, and really if you're just going for the "win" there's no reason to do science either. economic victory is easier and can occur a lot sooner.

going for a cultural victory from the start has created some of my most satisfying games... it is separate from other victory conditions in that you really want to choose it as your goal from the beginning.

12. thallin

thallin Chieftain

Getting a culture victory is on par with simply using a cheat code that wins you the game: stupid and pointless.

13. Civsassin

Civsassin Immortal

What pray tell is an economic victory?

14. Bandobras Took

Bandobras Took Emperor

I thought that was conquest/domination in any version of Civ. ;)

15. vexing

vexing knows

the game is bugged and calls it a diplomatic victory.

16. JoeBas

JoeBas Warlord

I get the distinct impression that some of the Armchair General W.R. Mongers in this thread had one of their games "Ruined" by one of the crappy little civs they hadn't gotten around to devouring yet sneaking up and winning... wah. :mischief:

17. vexing

vexing knows

haha... are you implying an AI has won a cultural victory? i'm pretty sure that has never happened

18. Guardian_PL

Guardian_PL Emperor

This. A hundred times this. I've switched diplo victory off that's how stupid and cheesy it is.

19. _hero_

_hero_ King

I haven't tested the math out yet to see if a bigger empire with representation can actually out-pace a single city empire for culture victory yet. Representation helps now, but are you still better off staying small?

20. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

I have found cultural victories in Civilization 5 to be extremely dull. It's really just a variation of the Science victory. (Purple spaceship versus Blue spaceship)

However, with Polynesia it's become much more interesting.

Just fooling around but I'm onto my 8th social policy tree in 1913. Had the 5 trees finished by 1750 and could have won before 1800 with only one museum built, no hermitage or broadcast towers. 5 cities built. Moai are ridiculous. :D

Mind you, this is only on Prince level. Still fun though.

I have the 4000 BC save still. I'm sure people could do much, much better. :)