1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Culture and Nukes

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Turquoiside, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Turquoiside

Turquoiside Emperor

Right now I am playing a Japan game where victory is in my grasp. However, bloody Capac is running of with a culture win. I'm about five turns until nukes, but will they help? He is one or two cities away from victory. If I nuke one of the cities pass the threshold, will its culture go down? Plus, will it matter since it once qualified? If I nuke his third city, what are the odds he has a fourth? Capac is my closest neighbor, but my military would last two turns on his.

2. CCRunner

CCRunner Deity

I don't think Nukes will directly decrease his culture in any city. They will though destroy some culture buildings in the city. I don't think it's possible to lose culture in a city without it being captured. Odds are that he most likely doesn't have a fourth major city.

Is one of his three big cities located on the coast anywhere? A quick amphibious assault could raze his city and prevent him from winning. Just give him a tech or two for peace afterwords.

3. nNemethon

nNemethon Chieftain

Same thoughts as CCRunner.
    Nukes won't affect the culture per-se but may destroy some culture buildings.
    On the nuke side, I believe that for a culture win, you need to currently hold the cities for the win so if you nuke him as heavily as possible or just one of his main culture cites, it will make it easier for you to walk in and raze it. Do it to multiple cities if possible and then you should be able to bribe him for peace. Start pumping out/whipping/drafting/buying military to bolster you numbers NOW so that when you have your first nuke ready to fly, you will be able to hold him off that little bit longer.
    Just my 5 cents worth (3 cents being made up of taxes and GST...)

Cheers, nNem.

4. hecubus

hecubus General Specific

How's your espionage ratio? You may be able to buy some time by sending in spies to sabotage culture-producing buildings.

5. Emiliano

Emiliano Chieftain

IMHO, I think your only possibility here is to decalre war and take those cities... and then declare peace again!

You dont need a war, you just need time.

6. Onionsoilder

Onionsoilder Reaver

If one of those culture cities in coastal, you could build 2-3 nukes, nuke that city, then move in with troops. Most people overlook how much damage nukes do to a stack of units. Those 2-3 will reduce a stack of around 20 to around 4 with 10% health.