Culture bugs/issues

BlueGenie

Emperor
Might as well start a new thread though I only have one Culture issue to point out currently.

Culture Notka.
Requires American and Whales(??) and grants a Str 4 Clubman Unique Unit.
Whales in most cases come so late that a Str 4 Clubman isn't nearly enough of an incentive to build the culture of Notka.

Cheers

Might as well start a new thread though I only have one Culture issue to point out currently.

Culture Notka.
Requires American and Whales(??) and grants a Str 4 Clubman Unique Unit.
Whales in most cases come so late that a Str 4 Clubman isn't nearly enough of an incentive to build the culture of Notka.

Cheers

Yes, whales require boat fishing, there are much better units available then.

My problem is that if you play on random maps it is rare that I can build any cultures. It is usually an all or nothing case when I start as Egyptians and end up near one pole or the other.

I too am finding it harder to "get" Cultures. There seems to be too many prereqs. I've yet too get a single European Culture. What I do seem to get most of is the Native American and Central American cultures.

As for whaling, it been coming too late for a long time. And when you do get to use it it is generally short lived. For the most part whale resource is too far from the coast to be of any real use in the game.

JosEPh

The African Aka culture requires Bananas and gives the Pygmy Warrior unit. Aka is available with Gathering, and the Pygmy is available with Scavenging. The Clubman is the normal unit for Scavenging, but the Pygmy is 1/3 the cost, and a 25% stronger in Jungle. Perfect for an early game rush - hordes of cheap Pygmies overrunning my nearest neighbour!

But Aka requires Bananas, which are not enabled until Calendar. And the Pygmies are obsolete by then. They'll still be sort of useful as cheap builds to immediately upgrade to Axemen, but it sure would be cool to see a Pygmy rush!

Suggestion is to have Bananas enabled at Herbalism. This allows the Pygmy as the early game unit it's intended to be. Wikipedia says banana cultivation started around 5,000 BCE and possibly to 8,000 BCE.

Ok so I better just break down when map resources get enabled ...

Spoiler :
Gathering
- Corn
- Potatoes
- Rice
- Wheat

Scavenging
- Bison
- Deer
- Elephants
- Mammoth
- Rabbit
- Seals
- Walrus

Herbalism
- Dye

Weaving
- Flax
- Papyrus

Stone Tools
- Marble
- Obsidian
- Stone

Natural Pigments
- Fine Clay

Trapping
- Furs

Wood Working
- Prime Timber
- Resin

Boat Fishing
- Clams
- Crab
- Fish
- Lobster
- Shrimp
- Whale

Naturopathy
- Apples

Canine Domestication
- Pigs
- Sheep

Livestock Domestication
- Cows

Poultry Domestication
- Poultry

Agriculture
- Cotton

Equine Domestication
- Donkey
- Horse

Camel Riding
- Camels
- Llamas

Irrigation
- Melons
- Pumpkins
- Squash

Orchards
- Almonds
- Barley ?
- Figs
- Lemons
- Mango
- Papaya

Mining
- Amber
- Diamonds
- Gold
- Jade
- Rubies
- Sapphires
- Silver

Sericulture
- Silk

Trade
- Pearls

Fermentation
- Wine

Copper Working
- Copper

Bronze Working
- Olives ?
- Tin

Lead Working
- Lead

Iron Working
- Iron
- Platinum

Salt Processing
- Salt

Ancient Ballistics
- Sulphur

Calendar
- Bananas
- Hemp
- Incense
- Spices
- Sugar
- Tea
- Tobacco

Spice Trade
- Coffee

Chemistry
- Rubber

Steam Power
- Coal

Industrialism
- Bauxite Ore

Refining
- Oil

Quantum Physics
- Uranium

Advanced Metallurgy
- Titanium

Super Strong Alloys
- Methane Ice

Ecological Engineering
- Geothermal Energy

I think I got them all but I think some should be changed such as Barley to Gathering.

Hittite culture chariots, ( goes for all most civs UU) require a hefty investment in extra culture/buildings, but are no better than stock chariots.

Changed Culture requirements on the SVN ...
- Aka = Potatoes
- Cherokee = Pumpkin
- Huron = Deer
- Incan = Potatoes
- Nootka = Fish
- Tupi = Squash

Note all have early enabled resources either enabled in prehistoric or early ancient. Note that it dosn't really matter for the Cherokee since the unique unit comes at Rifling.

Hittite culture chariots, ( goes for all most civs UU) require a hefty investment in extra culture/buildings, but are no better than stock chariots.

I have said before that I have some stuff I want to do to improve the chariots. I just have not gotten around to doing it yet. Thus it will influence the UU chariots too.

Why does not a civs palace come with the associated resource for that civ?.

Why does not a civs palace come with the associated resource for that civ?.

Because the civ you pick is no longer linked to any particular culture other than the general home region (ex African, Asian, Oceanian, etc).

We even debated if we should just make every civ generic and name them after colors or letters. See this thread.

Changed Culture requirements on the SVN ...
- Aka = Potatoes
Note all have early enabled resources either enabled in prehistoric or early ancient. Note that it dosn't really matter for the Cherokee since the unique unit comes at Rifling.

YYAAAAYYY!!! Thank you! The Pygmy RUSH is gonna' happen! Be afraid, be very afraid.... :eek:

Nootka are not so worthless anymore. *chuckle* But they still have base Str 4 units to contend with.

Cheers

Ok so I better just break down when map resources get enabled ...

Spoiler :
Gathering
- Corn
- Potatoes
- Rice
- Wheat

Scavenging
- Bison
- Deer
- Elephants
- Mammoth
- Rabbit
- Seals
- Walrus

Herbalism
- Dye

Weaving
- Flax
- Papyrus

Stone Tools
- Marble
- Obsidian
- Stone

Natural Pigments
- Fine Clay

Trapping
- Furs

Wood Working
- Prime Timber
- Resin

Boat Fishing
- Clams
- Crab
- Fish
- Lobster
- Shrimp
- Whale

Naturopathy
- Apples

Canine Domestication
- Pigs
- Sheep

Livestock Domestication
- Cows

Poultry Domestication
- Poultry

Agriculture
- Cotton

Equine Domestication
- Donkey
- Horse

Camel Riding
- Camels
- Llamas

Irrigation
- Melons
- Pumpkins
- Squash

Orchards
- Almonds
- Barley ?
- Figs
- Lemons
- Mango
- Papaya

Mining
- Amber
- Diamonds
- Gold
- Jade
- Rubies
- Sapphires
- Silver

Sericulture
- Silk

Trade
- Pearls

Fermentation
- Wine

Copper Working
- Copper

Bronze Working
- Olives ?
- Tin

Lead Working
- Lead

Iron Working
- Iron
- Platinum

Salt Processing
- Salt

Ancient Ballistics
- Sulphur

Calendar
- Bananas
- Hemp
- Incense
- Spices
- Sugar
- Tea
- Tobacco

Spice Trade
- Coffee

Chemistry
- Rubber

Steam Power
- Coal

Industrialism
- Bauxite Ore

Refining
- Oil

Quantum Physics
- Uranium

Advanced Metallurgy
- Titanium

Super Strong Alloys
- Methane Ice

Ecological Engineering
- Geothermal Energy

I think I got them all but I think some should be changed such as Barley to Gathering.

I think you should make all the fruit available at Naturopathy (rather than orchards), but only via the fruit gathering camp at that stage (so the resource is avaialble, but tghe tile bonuses largely not)

I think you should make all the fruit available at Naturopathy (rather than orchards), but only via the fruit gathering camp at that stage (so the resource is avaialble, but tghe tile bonuses largely not)

That's not a bad idea. I also want to move the Plantation improvement to Orchards since calendar is much too late now.

Because the civ you pick is no longer linked to any particular culture other than the general home region (ex African, Asian, Oceanian, etc).

Well you have a lot of work to acomplish then, because the civ you pick has its leader already associated with it, just as all its units with flags are already associated with it, as are all its city names, the only thing you dont have is the culture tech advance, which requires pre set resourcs, which in a random map you may not get aceess to ever, or ina histocrical correct world map require a civ to move to a locations very far away if its s GEM map.

We even debated if we should just make every civ generic and name them after colors or letters. See this thread.

It seems your currently caught between haveing civs that start out as generic, (band of Sapiens) and move during the game to represent specific ones ( French who would mhave been gallic/celtic before becomming French etc), but being hindered by having the specifici civs already being able to be chosen in 12000.

Mmm, Hanny, Right now you don't actually choose what civilization to play, you choose your Nations name. What cultures you then gain serves to identify and flesh out your nation, regardless of what name you chose back in 12000BC. It's not Historical, it's playing the History you create.

Cheers

Mmm, Hanny, Right now you don't actually choose what civilization to play, you choose your Nations name. What cultures you then gain serves to identify and flesh out your nation, regardless of what name you chose back in 12000BC. It's not Historical, it's playing the History you create.

Cheers

No thats incorrect, no one picks any nations, the civ you chose, your civ leader, the names of your cities, the flag, and its units are all done before any cultures are aquired. You can start as English and never get english culture, if the resource is not to be found, untill very late in game. As i already pointed out.

No thats incorrect, no one picks any nations, the civ you chose, your civ leader, the names of your cities, the flag, and its units are all done before any cultures are aquired. You can start as English and never get english culture, if the resource is not to be found, untill very late in game. As i already pointed out.

Do you understand the concept of a work in progress? We are working towards a time when you won't pick English with all its preset city names et al. It takes time and discussion to get there. We will get there, just not in the next few versions or more.

Top Bottom