Culture flipping away from border

solarjetman

Chieftain
I just had a city culture flip that was not on the border with any other civilization. It had many units in it, but most of them were bombers and artillery, and I'd gotten a temple built in it, but it culture flipped anyway. I was under the impression that this wasn't supposed to happen, that for a city to culture flip it had to have another civ's culture boundary within its borders. Anyone else had this happen?

My guess is this city was an annex from another, still surviving civ, and was their, ie more of their citizens than yourss for a long time beforehand. Have had it happen.

i've had this happen as well. for instance, i've driven civs entirely off of a continent (and onto single space islands) when, for no very good reason, and often dozens of turns later, an interior city on the large continent will revert.

it's incredibly lame in my opinion. it's right up there with magic unsinkable AI galleys...

Yeah, I get that all the time. I had just crushed India in my last game and they were relegated to two cities on some po-dunk little island off the coast. While I was waiting for my transports to arrive I must have had four or so of their cities revert back to them. It wasn't a big deal untill the one with all my air units (which were bombing the remaining cities every turn) reverted back. My whole southern Air Corps was lost by that crap. I was so mad when I retook the city I just razed the whole thing to the ground.

...A people should know when they are defeated.

culture flipping isn't really that bad, what sucks is the fact your units just simply die and dont try to escape or something. If a culture flip occures in the middle of my continent, fine, i think i would be more than capable to deal with the rebels but i shouldn't lose 30 or 40 arlillery regiments they should simply retreat to the closest friendly city. If not all of them atleast 60% to 70% should get away.

Well since culture fliping calculate the distance from your palace and the other civ palace yeah it's normal if that happen

Originally posted by RouTaran
culture flipping isn't really that bad, what sucks is the fact your units just simply die and dont try to escape or something.

exactly!

that's why I hate culture flipping in times of war! I learned the hard way not to garrison my entire conquering army inside a newly conquered city, so I fortify them right outside the city in case it flips back. Of course, that strategy leaves my units open to attack.. I guess it's a lose/lose situation?

Originally posted by Badluck
Well since culture fliping calculate the distance from your palace and the other civ palace yeah it's normal if that happen

Which is why Culture Flipping is an absolute braindead crock - just like the AI.

I once was crushing the Aztecs. They had nothing left but their capital (which automatically moves when captured - another crock) on an off shore island. I had 23 cities they had that 1.

So what happens? Yep, the nearest city to their capital flipped, despite my gigantic army a few tiles away, and despite my huge lead in everything. So I razed the city - yet a third crock.

The bean-counting idiot AI just calculates what you said - distance from capital - which is why culture flipping is unadulterated garbage.

I always go to autosave and go back a turn to try to prevent it, or I evacuate the disappearing garrison (vanishing garrisons are a fourth crock).

Culture Flipping? :vomit:

zouave you always sound so bitter :p

i tend to save every turn in late-stage games also -- i'm 100% with zouave on the lameness of flips, so even though i can't really prevent the flip i at least get a chance to destroy the buildings and remove my troops from that city.

actually this wouldn't bother me so much if it ever worked in the player's favor. when it actually works on my behalf, it sort of makes sense -- i'll have 3 cities on a small island with huge culture and a size 1 enemy city will throw in the towel and join me. when the computer does it it can be a size 20 interior city with the freaking new york city philharmonic giving free concerts every day.

my beef is that the players have one ruleset and the AI has one which is completely different. i don't mind that they produce faster, and i wouldn't mind if they had a slight combat advantage. i *** DO *** mind the magic flying galleys, the flips which don't make sense (some do, but most don't), and i REALLY REALLY hate when the AI skips ahead entire generations of technologies -- like going straight from swordsman to riflemen, skipping musketeers altogether even though no civ on the planet was anywhere near that advanced...

A few culture flipping reminders:

1) When you are in a war, you have war weariness and more unhappiness. This increases the chance of a culture flip.

2) Use the governor to handle unhappiness. This will usually result in starvation which in game terms means less unhappiness (fewer people to be unhappy. I guess they don't pay much attention to starving.).

I had a cultural flip of a large city on a remote island which was much closer to my palace or FP. This was during a war with that country. I was developing the city and had turned off the governor managing unhappiness. I don't know if leaving the governor on would have helped, but the cultural flip perplexed me.

Top Bottom