Culture mechanics when a civ gets destroyed

gamboy

Chieftain
I dug out a good old NC49. Now I'm puzzled by the culture mechanics. Few turns ago I conquered Dur-Kurigalzu, it is now still in revolt for another 6 turns, and is 0% English (me), 96% Babylonian (Hammy gets hammered), and 3% Sumerian (two tiles from a Sumerian city with 'Developing' culture). I take now Hammurabi's last city, and what's puzzling me is that Dur-Kurigalzu now changes to 0% English and 99% Sumerian :confused:. The other former Babylonian cities all become 100% English as I would have expected. Can somebody explain me how this detail in the culture mechanics does work or hint me to a reference? I attached the civ save (BAT) for this scenario, look at Dur-Kurigalzu, then grab a horse on Akkad's gate and finish Hammy off and see the effect I describe.

So far I has the assumption that when a civ gets destroyed all its city population from the conquered cities turns to the nationality of the conqueror.

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• NC 49 Churchill AD-1150.CivBeyondSwordSave
    312.2 KB · Views: 35
Doesn't culture from destroyed civ just vanish and populatuon nationality represents culture ratios of remaining culture influences?

In your case former 3% Sumerian becomes 99% when Babylonian culture vanishes.

Thanks for the answer. This calls then on cramped maps like this for an earlier rush when culture isn't that far yet, or razing with a new settler in the back.

Razing with a new settler won't help, since the culture belongs to the square not to the city. In fact, it will probably not be possible: if you don't own a city there the square will become the property of whatever civilization has the majority culture. (Unless for some reason it's no longer in the cultural radius of a city they control.)

Top Bottom