culture question

deadedwest

Chieftain
Hello, there is something that I have always wanted to know about culture. In a game I am playing one of the computers cities which is 5 spaces away from my capital has it's culture pushed all the way up to the edge of my capital. Now my capital is not a culture haven or anything, but I'm at the time of riflemen and make ~325 culture a turn. I believe I'm at level 5 culture (~32000 culture needed for the next culture level). What I am wondering is how is it possible for the computer to have it's culture pushed out 5 spaces from it's city, when my capital can't even push back 1 space? Is there something that I am missing in this equation?

Apparently the other AI cities have a higher culture level than your capital. Probably you are about to lose due to an AI cultural victory. Check the F8 screen and see if the adjacent AI cities are listed and their cultural levels

So what your saying is the computer is really making that much culture then. I'm not missing anything, just I'm at level 5 and he is at level 8 or something like that.

New question then, how come when my borders expand then it does not push the borders back toward him in all spaces? is this purely just based upon the percentage of culture in the hexs between us?

It is based on the percentage of culture accumulated in the tiles between you. Also, the AI may have multiple cities accumulating culture in the tiles between you which will make it even harder to push your borders back.

For a good discussion of the mechanics of culture check the article 'Culture Mechanics Disassembled' in the War Academy:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=225927

BTW, welcome to CFC :goodjob:

Top Bottom