Culture Term Three: Oxfordian Boot Camp

Stuck_as_a_Mac

Aptenodytes forsteri
Welcome to the Term Three Cultural Consul. Now Drop and give me 20! (scales, that is. And quit your whining! I don't care about anharmonics!)
In this term we are going to make you brush up your Shakespeare, dabble in sculpture, understand the complexity of “A Love Supreme” and turn you unsophisticated maggots into cultured beings. Do I make myself clear?

No? Then explain these numbers to me, maggot!

In the year 190BC, our society has a combined culture of 214. 214! And that’s from one city. What, numbers upset you? Then go home and cry to your mommy! In one term, we gained only 112 culture points. Not one city had a single cultural improvement established. That is wrong! W-R-O-N-G! Drop and give me money for season tickets to Lincoln Center. I feel like hearing some opera.

In this term, you maggots are going to get cultured. In my campaign, I promised to put a temple in every city and a library in many as I could. I don’t see any dovening. Where’s the joyous music coming from our pre-renaissance composers?

We’ve got work to do, maggots! Get your boots on. I want to see people reciting Japanese philosophy by the time we’re done here.

DIS-MISSED!

Dean/Beatrice: SaaM
Potato Peeler: vikingruler
Toothbrush Cleaner: Kentharu

Oxford Bulletin, 90 BC

ELECTION

In electoral news, Dean SaaM is now the Culture Consul, meaning Oxford is the Culture Capitol (by Consulian Decree). To celebrate his victory, CC-Dean SaaM cut the ribbon to the new Oxford Temple and announced plans for the Oxford Library.

STATE OF THE CITY

In the years since the founding of Oxford, the city has made considerable strides. The city stands as the nations fourth most populous city, the sixth greatest shield producer and the fifth greatest producer of commerce. Citizens, we should be proud of the achievements of our fair city.

THE WAR

The war continues on. On one front, the Dutch cities of Amsterdam and Arnhem still stand, but that is only one front. The nation of Fanatannia is now at war with the Persians and the Byzantines. We refused to cave to either nations cowardly threats, and because of this they declared war on us. Fortunately, we are always the clever ones, as we have set about a plan to entangle the world in alliances that will slow our enemies to a halt, allowing us to fling ourselves forewords.

New Section: Nationwide Culture

Good evening. My fellow Fanatannians, we have reached a new day for our culture department. With my election as CC, I pledged to increase this nations culture. I want to see either a temple or a library in every city, preferably the library, as these give us multiple benefits. Regardless of which one is built, we must act to increase our culture before it is too late. As mentioned earlier, we have a series of wars going on. These wars can hopefully slow down the worlds cultural race, allowing us to climb up. Our top rival for culture, France, has six times as much culture as we do (1353 points). By the end of this term, I want us to be the top dog in this aspect. This is my real goal for the term; to put us on top. I encourage all citizens to post in the Consul thread- that’s what its there for.

i would like to help out the culture consul this term(since i work with the external consul in the last term)first id like to say i am still new to this thing so forgive my noobish comments and question any advice you can give me to make a better "culture" person then feel free so i guess i am your first volunteer for term 3 lol

Stuck_as_a_Mac said:
Welcome to the Term Three Cultural Consul. Now Drop and give me 20! (scales, that is).
Where’s the joyous music coming from our pre-renaissance composers?
I can give you 24, sir! I could come up with an ode to Fanatania.

I see we need culture. Before you start, have a drink, on the house, (of course,) at my restaurant, The Legitimate Businessman's Social Club. :beer: We offer a lot of services there. I'm sure you could think of great culture while there. Soon you will be the envy of every other leader.

Regards, Classica Musica. Culture's best friend. :)

Consul,

You may be aware that I am currently building the FP in Oxford. However, I think that the people should have a say in whether this actually happens or not. The site of the FP may or may not eventually be in Fanashire. So I think it would be good if you could lead the discussion. If the FP is relocated then the current building in Oxford will be switched to Marketplace.

mad-bax said:
Consul,

You may be aware that I am currently building the FP in Oxford. However, I think that the people should have a say in whether this actually happens or not. The site of the FP may or may not eventually be in Fanashire. So I think it would be good if you could lead the discussion. If the FP is relocated then the current building in Oxford will be switched to Marketplace.
Why don't you replace it with a builing of cultural significance?

Indirectly that is exactly what I am asking the Consul to decide. :)

Consul SaaM

I notice that in many of the discussions that there are citizens who do not understand our policy towards accumulating culture ie: to have lots (200+) cities to build culture in which requires that we quickly expand up to (or near) the domination limit so that we have the land to build cities in. Perhaps a thread laying out this policy, allowing discussion around it and how we start to feed in cultural buildings during this expansion phase would be useful.

President Furiey

i got SaaM's message in the TCIt and that i will run the office of Culture Consul while SaaM is away.

vikingruler,

as consul in SaaM's absence you may wish to look at the Wonder situation. Both Leonado's Workshop and Sistine Chapel are now available and could be build in donsignia (from memory) in 35 turns! These are both Wonders that people expressed an interest in when discussing Sir Issac. But time is short, perhaps a discussion would be useful, but there is not much time before the next chat and if we wait a further 10 turns, the Byzantines will have a further 10 turns lead on us so you may need to discuss the situation with Governor Noldodan to see what could be done to not lose the shields we accumulate in the meantime.

Top Bottom