1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Culture (Unit + Quarter) Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Humankind by Amplitude' started by Matthias Corvinus, Feb 12, 2020.

?

Who will you play first?

1. Assyrians

1 vote(s)
    3.8%
  2. Babylonians

1 vote(s)
    3.8%
  3. Egyptians

1 vote(s)
    3.8%
  4. Harappans

6 vote(s)
    23.1%
  5. Hittites

1 vote(s)
    3.8%
  6. Mycenaeans

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
  7. Nubians

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
  8. Olmecs

4 vote(s)
    15.4%
  9. Phoenicians

3 vote(s)
    11.5%
  10. Zhou

1 vote(s)
    3.8%
  11. Random

4 vote(s)
    15.4%
  1. Matthias Corvinus

Matthias Corvinus Chieftain

HEAR YE HEAR YE

As the first ‘new’ thread on this subforum, I would like to hear some discussion about the new upcoming quarters. What culture and what quarters/units do you want to be in Humankind?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    Hawke9 and CaptainUnknown like this.
  2. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

This is much harder than I first thought. Multiple incarnations and not focusing of leaders gives so many opportunities.
    The geographical representation is not good, as Africa and South East Asia are severely lacking.
    I might update this with guesses for uniques or classifications if I have time to do so.

Edit: I read somewhere that China will only be represented by Zhou, Ming and PRC, so I exchanged Han and Qing with Ghana and Morocco. Not sure if that would rule out Tibet as well for Amplitude... hopefully not!

II. Classical 1000 BC-500 AD

Achaemenids
    Armenia
    Axum
    Celts
    Greece
    Han Ghana
    Maya
    Maurya
    Rome
    Seleucids

III. Medieval 500-1492
    Abbasids
    Aztecs
    Holy Roman Empire
    Korea
    Mali
    Mongols
    Pueblo
    Tibet
    Venice
    Vikings

IV. Renaissance 1492-1700
    Florence
    Inca
    Japan
    Ming
    Mughals
    Portugal
    Ottomans
    Safavids
    Spain
    Sweden

V. Industrial 1700-1918
    Austria
    France
    Germany
    Haida
    Iroquois
    Netherlands
    Oman
    Qing Morocco
    Russia
    United Kingdom

VI. Modern
    Australia
    Brazil
    European Union
    Sovjet Union
    Iran
    People’s Republic of China
    Singapore
    South Africa
    Switzerland
    United States of America

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    Hawke9 likes this.
  3. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

An interesting list, but don't forget Southeast Asia. I'd be very surprised if there isn't at least some representative Faction from Vietnam, Burma, Thailand/Siam, Cambodia/Khmer, and/or Indonesia between the Medieval and Modern Eras.

Also, I'd be very surprised if Britain and France are limited to just one Faction each in one Era. 1700 - 1918 CE (Industrial) was certainly when the British Empire ballooned and France in the form of Napoleon dominated Europe (and could be said to dominate it in Culture for most of the 18th and 19th centuries) but they were two of the most important States in Europe throughout much of the Medieval and Renaissance Eras as well.

But I have no idea what to leave out to stuff either or both of them in! There are, as you say, just Too Many Possibilities. Especially when you try to include any possibility of having more than one of the same Faction for successive Eras: you run out of space almost instantly . . .

Siptah and WillowBrook like this.
  4. Matthias Corvinus

I hope that the Maya are able to make it in as a scientific culture with some type of temple-based quarter. Civ 5’s portrayal of the Maya made faith/science civs look so fluid that I doubt Amplitude will go with a combination of both and try to match civ. The only type of civilization that I don’t want the Maya to be represented as is militaristic due to personal choices. I prefer to play defensive and beat the other civs through tactical planning and city builsing as opposed to brute force.

5. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

Well... if the game is successful, there will probably be DLCs with new civs ;-) Civs probably will not differ as drastically as in EL, hence might come more plentiful later on.
    But due to the different combinations throughout the ages, gameplay-wise there won't be a pressing need for more civs even after vanilla if done right.

I think having England (Medieval) and the United Kingdom (Industrial) is certainly plausible, even with a limit of 10 civs per era. They would also be completely different in their focus. I don't think we'll see France in two incarnations in vanilla - except maybe if we get the Franks and count them as an incarnation of France. iirc celts are already confirmed, so I doubt we'll se Gauls.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    Hawke9 likes this.
  6. jddods

jddods Prince

Parthians

7. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

No question that the game will spawn Mods and DLCs, especially since without the animated Leader requirements, it should be much cheaper and easier to whip out new Factions with reskinned 'Emblematic' Units. I foresee, if they are successful at all, that this game could have more Modded Civs/Factions than any of the recent Civ games.

Given that Amplitude is based in Paris, if for no other reason I'd bet on there being at least two 'French' Factions. If nothing else, bet you anything that the 'Celts' are Continental Celts rather than the more northern and Scots/Irish variety. And, like many other Civs, France has potential in every Era after the Classical:
    Medieval: Franks, Capetians
    Renaissance: Bourbon
    Industrial: French Empire
    Modern: French Republic

I certainly don't think the basic game will see every Era represented, or even most of them. But with all the possibilities available I'd be really, really surprised if at least 2 of them aren't in.

8. jddods

jddods Prince

Love to play Gaul's through to French Republic, or similar with China or Iran

9. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

So, what we need now are two things:
    • more people handing in a list with speculations for the 50 civs
    • @Catoninetales_Amplitude telling us how many of the guesses are correct :D

Hawke9 likes this.
  10. Catoninetales_Amplitude

Catoninetales_Amplitude Chieftain

Hawke9, Jkchart, conorbebe and 5 others like this.
  11. Matthias Corvinus

Can you tell us what your favorite culture type to play with is and why? Also, will some cultures not have quarters?

Hawke9 likes this.
  12. Catoninetales_Amplitude

Catoninetales_Amplitude Chieftain

I can't, beause I haven't really found a favorite yet. They all have their advantages and I generally try to pick something appropriate for the situation (except maybe in the bronze age, where sometimes I pick something with a mindset of "I am going to try to achieve X this time.)
    I really can't tell you why I enjoy any of the "culture types" though, as that involves information that is so far unrevealed.

I don't see any harm in confirming that all cultures have an Emblematic Quarter and an Emblematic unit, though, in addition to some as-of-yet unrevealed aspects.

Hawke9, Jkchart, conorbebe and 5 others like this.
  13. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

I believe the Khmer were already talked about in like an article interview.

Also a Dutch fluyt was seen as probably an emblematic unit on a tech tree so we can assume the Dutch will be a Renaissance representation.

Hunnic Horde was also seen in the Classical and neither one were connected to any other techs. The same tech tree showed a Mongol Horde, which leads me to believe that the Mongols might be some sort of minor barbarian faction in the Medieval, which I admit would be strange.

I expect Canada to be one of the modern ones.

Hawke9 likes this.
  14. Giskler

Giskler +1 Sleuthing

Based on screenshots, the Maya are very likely included.

15. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Deity

I think I'm going to wait for the later eras until I know how they'll handle non-Western cultures: i.e. will the likes of the Zulu or the Sioux be included as cultures, and if so will they be presented as Industrial era cultures?

My predictions/wishlist

Classical
    1. Aksumites
    2. Carthaginians
    3. Gauls
    4. Han
    5. Hellenes
    6. Huns
    7. Mauryans
    8. Mayans
    9. Persians
    10. Romans
    Medieval
    1. Abbasids
    2. Aztecs
    3. Byzantines
    4. Franks
    5. Japanese
    6. Khmer
    7. Malians
    8. Mongols
    9. Norse
    10. Sassanids
    Renaissance
    1. Dutch
    2. Haudenosaunee
    3. Inca
    4. Italians
    5. Joseon
    6. Kongo
    7. Majapahit
    8. Mughals
    9. Ottomans
    10. Spanish

Siptah likes this.
  16. mitsho

mitsho Deity

Oh fun, let me play as well:

(Bronze Era: Assyrians, Babylonians, Egyptians, Harrapans, Hittites, Mycenaeans, Nubians, Olmecs, Phoenicians, Zhou)

Classical Era: Carthage, Celts, Goguryeo (Korea 1), Greeks, Huns, Macedonia, Maurya, Maya, Persia, Rome

Feudal Era: Arabs, Aztecs, Byzantium, Franks, Inca, Khmer, Mali, Mongols, Saxons, Vikings

"Renaissance" Era: Dutch, English, France, Iroquois, Joseon (Korea 2), Ming, Portuguese, Russia, Spanish, Ottomans

Industrial Era: Cherokee, Ethiopia, Japan, Germany, Great Britain, Napoleonic Empire, Moghuls, Sweden, Thirteen Colonies, Zulu

Modern Era: Australia, India, Iran, Italy, PRC, Nazis, Turkey, USA, Soviets, Vietnam

The ones I am unsure about are in italic. For example, there kinda has to be colonial and modern United States, but you can't call them both the same...

What is visible, there will always be cultures that can go into two eras, and thus ones that are more to the end and others more to the beginning. So you will get weird coincidences. But then, not all civs will chose their era culture at the same time and some will stick. So the Spanish-Aztec encounter makes sense if one is renaissance (seriously, we need a better name, enlightenment? exploration?) and the other feudal. But I chose Saxons as the name for the medieval Germans since they can be English as well, but it makes it weird if they stay in the renaissance era. Maybe switch out the Portuguese there for Prussia?

The modern era stays strange, but this is the one where I hope it pays the most to stay in a civ from the previous era.

And they will probably leave a few spots for later additions regardless. For example, have Japan as Edo and Meiji, so you can't call them Japan here only.

17. FinalDoomsday

FinalDoomsday Chieftain

Hawke9 and Eagle Pursuit like this.
  18. Matthias Corvinus

Did your studio mean to use the word ‘aesthetic’ instead of ‘aesthete’ to describe cultures like the Zhou? I know aesthete is a word in the English language, but it tends to imply something singular so I assumed there might have been a translation error from French to English.

19. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Google says the definition is a person who has or claims to have a special appreciation for art and beauty. I think you just need to replace person with culture.

20. Giskler

Giskler +1 Sleuthing

Yea, I find "aesthete" very odd as well. The defining traits should be altered to militaristic, agrarian, industrialistic, scientific, expansionistic, mercantile, aesthetic/cultural.

Elhoim likes this.