1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Culture victory help

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by crouchy, Dec 2, 2018.

1. crouchy

crouchy Chieftain

Hi all,

Trying to get a culture victory for the first time on King difficulty. I'm Persia, and I am currently leading in culture. Most culture per turn and the most tourists. The problem is, I am not gaining tourists fast enough to win the game.

The second best is Australia. They are also gaining tourists relatively quickly. Australia are my neighbours on the map. We're friends, and have been in various alliances.

I think at the current stage of the game my goose is cooked, Australia are likely to hit a science victory (or else a score victory) before I get to the required tourist number, but I am curious how this works for next time.

Is there any way to target tourists from a specific Civ without declaring war? If I could increase my foreign tourists from Australia I'd have been in a better position to win.

2. AriochIV

AriochIV Analyst

Having a Trade Route to a civilization increases the effect of tourism on that civ, and there is a Social Policy that amplifies this effect. But other than that, I don't think there's a peaceful way to target a particular civilization.

3. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

Open borders also help, as does a shared religion.

Researching computers early is good.

Spam seaside resorts and build Eiffel Tower + Cristo Redentor to maximize their output.

You can use spy missions to sabotage enemy space ports or steal great works.

4. Icicle

Icicle Chieftain

Not sure what your tech is, but there are few to rush for that will help a lot.

Flight will convert all of those delicious culture improvements that you hopefully have a lot of to tourism, and Computers will double your tourism output.

You also want to use your spies to shut down a science victory. Run the policies that make your spies better and faster to max out your chance. Failing that, there's always the good old fashioned nuclear option!

Good luck! :)

5. Cedbird77

Cedbird77 Chieftain

Until you get really good at it. It can be a slow grind getting it. Which is ok to me. It should be challenging

6. Midgardsormr

Midgardsormr Chieftain

There is also a penalty for having different governments. Even though Fascism is a lousy government type for a CV, if all the other leaders are fascists, then making yourself one, too, will speed things up. It does mean that you'll have to sacrifice all of your Trade and Misc Policy slots for tourism bonus cards. Mouse over the big suitcase in the Victory Conditions screen for each civ to see what your Tourism bonuses and penalties are.

You can buy Great Works from the AI in addition to stealing them. In my most recent game I bought several relics and sculptures for 14 gpt + an amenity for each (though I should point out that I also lost that game, so maybe my advice isn't the best!) Usually the prices are higher, but even at 50 gpt it's a good deal since it not only boosts your tourism but also slows the growth of enemy tourists.

7. bbbt

bbbt Warlord

Even with a good tourism base, you might only see what looks like a slow increase until you run all the late game tourism 'modifiers' which increase it significantly. Computers is the biggest, doubling output. Run all the tourism boosting policy cards - including the one from social media boosting trade routes (and make sure you have a trade route to each civ).

Persia is especially great for Seaside Resort based tourism victory. Get Christo Redentor (which doubles seaside resort tourism) and the Eiffel Tower (+1 appeal to all tiles). Then Persia UI -Pairidaeza - provide + 2 appeal to surrounding tiles (Seaside Resorts tourism are based on appeal). So plant your Pairidaeza a tile inland (and you'll get tourism from the culture output with flight) and your seaside resorts on the coast!

8. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

It's not about as much tourism you have as opposed to how fast you can get it. Once the civs start piling on the culture and inspirations, it's going to take much longer.

Also kill civs with lots of domestic tourists.

9. crouchy

crouchy Chieftain

So my tourism from my nearest neighbour and the biggest challenger to my victory is saying -50% for enlightenment.

I thought I saw something, somewhere, that lets you counter this, but I can't find it now. Is there a way to counter the -50%?

10. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

You do not need to worry about other peoples tourism at all really, just their culture output (domestic Toursists). Your tourism needs at to be oughly at least 3 times their culture to start winning.

Find the person with the highest domestic tourism, open borders (+25%) if you can, send a trade route (+25%) as already mentioned... and also change government to theirs (roughly +15%)
    On top of this there is 2 great merchants (moden and atomic) that give +25% to your trade routes.... so quite powerful, all this extra makes a bog difference because every foreign tourism from them reduces their domestic tourism.(not cumulative to every civ)

11. crouchy

crouchy Chieftain

Thanks Victoria, that makes sense.

In the below graph I am Cyrus. I was leading in Culture until Australia had a massive spike in culture output. Until this point, my tourism was over 3x his, after this point it wasn't even 2x. Any idea what he could have built or done at this stage of the game to have such a huge effect? I'm guessing there's a wonder or something?

(On a side note, unfortunately Australia won via science victory in the end. Just couldn't get the tourists in fast enough.).

12. Victoria

The wonder of Collective Activism is the only likely cause, either that or already having it and spamming/killing envoys. I often get such spikes from killing envoys in a second culture state, but not as big so probably just getting it. Your dip looks like part of it.
    You can check this in the log files, file AI_govtPolicies.csv. If you have excel, filter on action "slot Policy" for "Collective Activism". The player number you get from Player_stats.csv. On each turn the first civ listed is #1, the second #2
    Kilwa is smaller and earlier
    Moon landing is spikier and one-off rather than per turn.

CS is one of the most important parts of the game and no good player will underrate this fact, nor let Aus get that far up the tree and have all those suzes... Start trainng up assassins, they are fun and make a BIG difference.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  13. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

Is Antananarivo in the game? It can make a huge difference for a builder civ with lots of districts. But it seems unlikely since no one else is loosing culture at the same time. The change seems to be too big for Kumasi. It's too late for bonuses from any tech I think and the raise is too big for double theatre square adjacency or something like that. Collective Activism could be it though.

14. Victoria

I've seen this spike bigger than this for Collective activism with Pericles but thyats only coz he is earning more culture I guess.

15. crouchy

crouchy Chieftain

I can see in the logs that on turn 350 Australia's culture went from 329 to 593.

Australia are 6th in player list, but there's no stats for player #6. I guess they must be #7.

I can see on turn 350 that Slot Policy Collective Activism appears, it wasn't there on turn 349, so I guess that is the reason. Thanks all.

16. Victoria

If you have the logs for a period over when this happened ... zip em and gimme a link and I'll gladly have a look. Doubling your culture per turn value in a turn at that late level... would be nice to know what else can do it.

17. crouchy

crouchy Chieftain

I edited my previous post, think I figured it out.

I never used CA. :(

That's my first attempt trying culture victory, I have to say it's much harder work than science victory.

18. Victoria

Every week there is something someone else spots I did not know and can find incredibly useful.
    Its a great site.

Suggest:. Play a game and try to get 100 envoys by T200. It teaches you a lot about being envoy aware and the value of scouting, quests ... and the double envoy cards.

19. crouchy

crouchy Chieftain

Yea it's great.

I don't think it would have made a difference in the end though. I had both Australia and Korea in the game and they were flying up the science tree. To make matters worse, I was geographically sandwiched in between Australia and Korea, both of which had much more territory and cities than I, and also pretty reliant on Australia for trade.