1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Culture

Discussion in 'Communitas Expansion Pack' started by Thalassicus, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Lissindiel

Lissindiel Chieftain

Uh...
    Thal, are you sure about this? In my last Egypt game everything was pwned at 1920~1930 by my tourism.

2. griffer13524

griffer13524 Chieftain

I'm definitely going to second this. I'm not entirely sure why everyone is so concerned about getting more tourism--Tourism is easy to acquire, we don't need more. If anything, there needs to be more culture, in order to make this victory condition harder to achieve. There's a lot of talk about balancing culture this or balancing tourism that in order to make buildings feel worthwhile--but we need to remember that first and foremost Culture and Tourism need to be balanced against each other.

3. Thalassicus

Thalassicus Bytes and Nibblers

That item in the patch notes is a typo showing old plans. I changed my mind after the discussion here. I've corrected the patch notes now. :)

4. Delekhan

Delekhan Prince

Can we please, please, pretty please include updates to the Liberty, Tradition, and Piety social policy trees in the next update?

For Liberty and Tradition, we can mostly just import the GEM versions.

For Piety, I'd love to see Religious Tolerance boosted, transformed, or at the very least removed as a prerequisite to Reformation.

I liked the old GEM opener for Piety of +5 National Happiness and +50 One-time Faith. It has something for everyone, but not OP.

5. mystikx21

mystikx21 Deity

Tradition in the GEM version is largely in other trees now. It's not as simple as just porting it over.

6. mystikx21

mystikx21 Deity

50 one time faith on piety when it's now an ancient era tree is also likely to be OP (but I share a desire to see the policy trees get some help soon. I'd rather have the leaders in first, but it's a pretty close second).

7. Delekhan

Delekhan Prince

You're right, forgot about that. It might be worth considering moving Piety back to the Classical Era.

As long as Liberty gets some improvements I'll be happy. I really liked the way Liberty was done in GEM.

8. EricB

EricB Prince

I second moving Piety back to the Classical Era, primarily for better AI play. Many AIs go straight into Piety as their first tree. Most of the policies in that tree aren't going to help you in the ancient era. It's a waste. They could be making better choices by picking Honor, Tradition, or Liberty.

Another issue I'd like to point out related to buildings are the military production buildings: barracks, armory, military academy. These buildings should be the type of buildings that you really only build in a city that you want to build units. I find that I build them in every city, especially the cheap barracks and armory. The raw production bonus for building them that gets multiplied by other buildings and policies for such a minimal maintenance cost makes it too tempting to build everywhere.

I like city specialization. Only a handful of buildings should be built everywhere. I'd propose removing the production bonus off the barracks line. If you're worried that that will make the barracks too weak, then maybe add a production bonus for building units.

So, make the barracks give experience for units plus a small production bonus for building units. Similar for the armory, etc. That would make it the type of building you build in only some cities, but very useful and powerful in those cities.

9. mystikx21

mystikx21 Deity

I think it's fine in the ancient era as you can use to pop a prophet fast (of course Liberty can do that also).

The problem is that the tree doesn't do much for you on the way to getting that religion up and running, not that it is available too soon. If the picks it offered had some more short-term over long-term advantages it might not be such a waste if the AI uses it early.

10. Thalassicus

I wish it were that simple, but many of the policy changes required the advanced tools I created for civup. I expect it to take at least a week to import all those tools and adapt them for the expansion.

11. Gothic_Empire

Gothic_Empire AKA, Ramen Empire

The GP tile improvements are quite powerful with a filled out piety tree. Especially in the capital, where you are potentially getting larger percentages off of your gold from the Commerce opener.

12. Delekhan

Delekhan Prince

No problem, I didn't realize changing Social Policies and Tech Trees involved advanced coding and custom toolkits.

Hope you're holding up in this crazy Dallas heat we're having, Thal! :cool:

13. Seek

Seek Deity Supporter

Reducing the Opera House maintenance means the building has no maintenance at all - is this intended?

Also, there is redundant code on the Amphitheater and Museum giving them 1 maintenance, which is what BNW already has them at - will this cause bugs?

14. Thalassicus

@Delekhan
    A hot August in Texas, nothing new here. :lol:

@Seek
    The big difference is we no longer need operas for museums, so we don't need unfilled operas anymore. In most cities operas cost 360:c5production: for 1:c5culture: per turn. This is 11 times worse than a Monument, so people will probably stop building empty operas. The maintenance change will mainly helps AIs who build them anyway.

Setting maintenance to 1 in buildings that have maintenance of 1 doesn't change anything. Those lines were from when I was thinking about changing the maintenance of other buildings. I often leave unused fragments in the mod in case they're useful later.

15. Ahriman

Ahriman Tyrant

Not in BNW it can't IIRC. Which is a good, good thing. I think you should be able to get a prophet by finishing up Piety, but not from Liberty. If you want good early religion then you should want to take Piety, getting the early Great Prophet from Liberty is a strong disincentive to bother with Piety.

16. Thalassicus

I wish the "free object" effect was a list of possible objects. We could use that for a lot of policies: do you want free warriors or archers? Free aqueducts or workshops? Each of these "free X" policies is very hardcoded in a way that doesn't allow much flexibility. "Free great person" is a simple yes/no thing in policies... the actual list is done in the game core where it's harder to modify.

17. Wichtel

Wichtel Chieftain

How did they do the bonus believe Byzantium gets?

18. Seek

Seek Deity Supporter

Just tested it, and yes, you can get a Great Prophet from the Liberty finisher.

@Thal- Wow, that is annoying!

19. Ahriman

Ahriman Tyrant

Did you test it in the mod or vanilla BNW?
    Do these use the same code?

I could have sworn that it wasn't in the list when I was playing BNW.... but I'm not 100% sure, I might have just missed it.

20. Seek

Seek Deity Supporter

It was in vanilla BNW. I had already gotten a Pantheon - maybe it doesn't show up if you don't have one?