1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] cumulative builder lag killing game

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by zazazuzu, Mar 13, 2019 at 9:52 PM.

1. zazazuzu

zazazuzu Chieftain

It's really, really bad. I'm surprised there isn't more discussion about it. My googling of the issue found some comments that it isn't mod related. Are there any known solutions out there?

2. Pietato

Pietato Warlord

You need to explain what it is...

3. RealAntithesis

RealAntithesis Chieftain

Not sure about the OP, but the problem I've noticed is that moving builders takes more and more time as the game progresses. Ie it takes a significant delay (a second or so) from using a move command to the builder actually moving, and when it does, it skips frames as if there are momentous calculations going on in the background to perform the action.

I do have a bunch of mods though, including More Lenses etc. Not sure if they're having an effect.

4. Nigel_Tufnel2

Nigel_Tufnel2 Chieftain

I started having it today as well, after about t160. I hear the Builder select sound but it takes a while for the animation and camera move to catch up. It's driving me nuts!

5. Troy Bruckner

Troy Bruckner Chieftain

The biggest issue is when we are forced out of Monumentalism and workers go from costing ~700 Faith to 2500+ gold AND they move at half the speed. It's the same with settlers and Districts. Things are scaled up on almost every additional build to hold a player back. Instead of better game and Ai design the Civ developers have consistently taken short cuts in every single expansion. To be honest I am surprised they put Monumentalism in the game.

6. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Warlord

Is this with quick movement turned on? I haven't noticed any issue.

7. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

I use quick movement and see nothing.
    I suspect this is all part of the vanilla patch particle modifications they did, many have complained of their fan going berserk and this seems like the main area of issue. I have turned off all graphics I can but still getting the fan going crazy, that implies lots of effort and likely as more visuals happen as the game goes on (apparently even rendered when off screen) then issue occurs.

8. Bitterman

Bitterman Chieftain

I don't recall any issues on this matter either and I also have quick movement deactivated.

Could that have something to do?

EDIT: seems like not.

9. Pietato

Pietato Warlord

Maybe this is related to the strange bug I am getting where the music cuts out and the screen jumps when you rapidly move the screen, late game. A reload seems to fix it.

comatosedragon likes this.
  10. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

Wild guess, based on one of the comments in the Terra Mirabilis section on steam, but maybe they forgot (or didn't expected to need) to cache some values for the UI in relation to modifiers and adjacency bonuses applied on the map's plots.

I mean IIRC that's why they've originally separated the game core and UI context in Lua, the UI works on cached value so that it doesn't have to ask the game engine to (re)calculate everything every time the local player select something.

Could be why some UI mods before GS could create lag in late game when they were doing global calculations on larger map to display some information.

Now imagine if, when selecting the builder, the UI, instead of taking the cached values, is calculating again the yields on each plots on the map to display the best improvement for each location.

679x, bbbt, Elhoim and 1 other person like this.
  11. iammaxhailme

iammaxhailme Chieftain

I do think this is related to Terra Mirabilis or YNAMP; I was playing totally unmodded for about 10 GS games with no issue. Then I put both of those on and started getting the builder issue.

12. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

YnAMP can worsen the issue if you use bigger than huge size, but can not create it.

13. Mojo85

Mojo85 Chieftain

I get it as well and it’s terrible. I also use terra mirrabilis too so possibly a reason

14. BenitoChavez

BenitoChavez Whispering Walrus

Mods can definitely cause lag issues. I used a mod for an improved build queue but it caused the whole game to lag, not just builders. I removed it and the game runs a lot smoother. It's kind of a shame I either have to put up with lag or a crappy build queue.

I haven't noticed the builder lag or lag of any kind since I removed that mod.

15. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

I can confirm I use no mods and have no issue

Builderphile and Karmah like this.
  16. Bob the Bruce

Bob the Bruce Chieftain

For me, the problem was caused by Terra Mirabilis turning itself on after being marked as compatible with Gathering Storm. I wish mods wouldn't automatically activate this way but oh well. See if that mod is the culprit for your problem.

Stilgar08 likes this.
  17. Deliverator

Deliverator Graphical Hackificator

If this is the case, how would we fix it? We're not doing anything with custom Lua in TM. Shouldn't the caching be built in? TM just uses the Modifiers system the same as the base game.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019 at 5:52 AM
  18. Deliverator

And why would Terra Mirabilis NWs start causing a lag with Gathering Storm and not before?

Infixo likes this.
  19. Deliverator

Can anyone who gets the lag issue should give as much information as they can about their game? Posting a savegame file might help too.

20. TomKQT

TomKQT Chieftain

Hm, so is it caused by mods? From the posts in this thread it seems like it is, but the first post mentions that it shouldn't.

Btw, I've never used any mod in Civ6 and I don't have this bug.