Cumulative Computer Quiz #1

starlifter

Deity
General "rules"

0. This is a fun quiz....

1. This thread is similar to all the other Cumulative quizzes, except all questions need to be related to computers.

2. The first person to answer the current question correctly, when confimed by the question's author may post the next question.

3. If you're the current questioner, try and visit daily to check replies; you can give hints if necessary.

4. The basic idea is that you ask and reply based on what you know and have learned... it's not a battle of databases and reference books ;).

5. Some examples of questions topics might be hardware, software, internet, prgramming, computer history...

6. Be considerate and merciful.... if no one gets the answer after about 5 days max, let us in on the answer and ask a new question :).

7. If the question ages about 5 days with no reply from the author, then the 1st one who posted the "right" answer can post the next question; if that is ambigious, then the person who replied immediately after the author's original question can go next & get the quiz back on track. :)

8. Extra info: After people give their answer and a topic is disposed of, people may feel free to consult search engines & reference material to clarify & post minor details, since very few people including me can remember everything 100%.... Hopefully, we'll all learn tidbits as we go along, and post-question references can help make sure final answers are complete... so no one get annoyed if someone else adds some more details or makes minor corrections after the fact ;). Naturally, question makers should know the main details (correct answers) to their question before hand, LOL....

rev 1.00, 15Jun02... the 1st day of the Forum, and the 3rd thread :)

rev 1.01 15Jun02, added #8.

I'll go first....

What was the name of the first Electronic computer?

Bonus: What was the fate of this first machine?

Bonus #2: In what nation was it built it and why?

Hint: I'm not talking about the Abacus, or adding machines, etc... I'm talking about a massive electrical/electronic machine, LOL...

You're on the right track, Philippe! But the details are still not right ;)....

Very close Phillippe!
The first electronic computer was ENAIC(Electronic Numerical Integrator And Computer)

Bonus#2:Built for the United States military to calculate the paths of artillery shells. It was later used to make calculations for nuclear weapons research, weather prediction, and wind tunnel design.

Source: Microsoft(I said the evil word, God have mercy!:lol:) Encarta

If you count this as right starlifter then you are wrong I hate to say.(I am guessing since you said phillippe was close) Exact quote from article:"Although it was the first large-scale machine to do routine calculations in a production environment, the ENIAC was not the first electronic computer. Between 1939 and 1942, John Atanasoff, a physics and mathematics professor at Iowa State University, and his graduate student Clifford Berry, assembled the Atanasoff-Berry Computer, which incorporated many digital circuit design innovations. Their system used the binary arithmetic system of 1s and 0s commonly used in today's computers as well as a memory drum that stored data in a method similar to the storage technique used in modern memory chips.

Good explanation, King of Camelot!

There is some debate as to the first useful electronic computer, but I would have taken Colossus as well. It was built no later than Dec 1943, and used by the British to decode German Enigma messages. Only a few photos still remain of the Colossus machines; the British destroyed the machines and plans, and to this day, have never released the algorithms it employed. Its computation speed was set by the speed of the sprocket drive of the long paper code containing a message to be decrypted... the paper wizzed at 30 miles per hour. The Colossus actually figured, by brute force, the correct wheel settings for the British cypher machines to use to actually decrypt an entire German message. It did not translate the code itself.... the Colossus was kept in such secrecy that it did not really influence modern computer design, like ENIAC did....

The Atanasoff machine was a special purpose electromechanical machine for solving simultaneous equations... it could not be altered, and most people classify it into the other similar machines developed in several places in the 1930's... the basis for the claim some make for the first modern electronic computer is on the fact that some of the ENIAC patents were reversed in US court in the early 1970's because the ENIAC's inventor (can't recall his name) had briefly seen the Atanasoff device before the ENIAC was operational.

But the ENIAC is the most widely acknowledged 1st modern electronic computer, barring further revelations from the British gov't about Colossus. Colossus was, BTW, the first Turing machine... the logic basis for digital computers of today.

PS, Philippe had a mix of the ENIAC and the Colossus description, which is why I said he was on the right track...

Nice job... your question!

I will post my question tomorrow because right now I need some sleep. Got to think of a good one. And thanks starlifter for starting the tech forum off with a great thread. This is what the tech forum is made for, interesting threads that really teach you about computers and their history.

Yeah, we should do like Pellaken, take CFC and SL to court! :lol:

Anyway, to KoC and SL, didn´t the rules state that this is a quiz of KNOWLEDGE, not of who can search the fastest on the web or in this case MS encarta??
:D

Hehe... HTML, DHTML, XML... bring it on!! Yeah, ask anything about computers you'd like when you get control of the question!! :D

didn´t the rules state that this is a quiz of KNOWLEDGE, not of who can search the fastest on the web or in this case MS encarta
Yes, people should answer as best they can from knowledge & school & experience. Questions should come from knowledge & experience, too.

BTW, once a question is asked, answered (and the questioner provides a final statement), then anyone (including the questioner) may feel free to look it up and make a new post wth minor detail corrections, add useful info, etc. (I'm going to search my question later today to fill in the gaps [dates, names, etc.], if I get the time).

PS, I'm looking over your shoulder again, Lucky, but I had some coffee in my hand and you beat me to the message this time.... hehe... and you thought I was only kidding about the camera I have that is watching you :).

Also, Lucky, you might have some ideas about general "HOWTOs" that could help, e.g, similar to the HOWTOs that I've been writing & putting up this morning (feel free to write/contribute any new HOWTOs you think can help with "typical" problems of CFC-ers!).

I told you I am only feeding you what I want you to see! :p

But I´m nowhere as good as you in writting neverending essays with so much information. ;)
But you shouldn´t forget your quiz question at GC, just like you stated in the rules here, check in often.
:D

My question is about the aquiring of MS-DOS by Microsoft. Just thought it would be interesting to see if any one knows that much about it.:D And it is computer history.

1.When did Bill Gates buy MS-DOS?(year)
BonusA.What month?
BonusB.What day?

2.Where did he buy it?(State and City)

3.What was the name of the company he bought it from?

Good luck! Sorry to the people who hate microsoft but its a interresting question.

P.S. Didn't see rule 4 there...:D

Close but needs some refining. Also num 3 is bought from not sold to.

I'll wait on that one to give someone else a chance. Bill Gates and M$ are my specialty. More bonus if you know who the original author of the OS that Bill Gates and Paul Allen bought, and what happened to the real author of that OS.... e.g., how much money did he get and how rich did he get. Hint. Bill Gates has not changed in 28 years, going back to pre-Altair days.

The year was right..or was it a year off? AHHH! Senior moment! Can't remeber!

Ok, I remember it was right.

Top Bottom