Cumulative General Science/Technology Quiz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catharsis

catch u on the flip scythe
Who knows, this might work. Might not. :hmm: This will use similar rules to the History Quiz, and those rules are copied below, along with Knight-Dragon's questionable formatting. :mischief: I've added a bit, too - the bits in bold are new.

Procedures :-
1) A asks a question, the rest will try to answer.
2) A must confirm which answer is correct.
3) Person (say B) with confirmed correct answer then asks the next question.
4) A cannot play again until B's turn is over (to prevent the thread turning into a 2 person spam party).
5) Repeat.
6) If person asking question doesn't login to confirm answers within 72 hrs of his question being posted, any one can ask a new question.
7) If no one can answer question within 72 hrs or can't get the right one, questioner can ask again.
8) Definitely no Net or book searches. The answers would be too easy to find if you were allowed to use Google and the like.
9) If answer has been confirmed and the new questioner hasn't set a question in 72 hours, anyone can ask the new question.
10) You can ask questions on any aspect of science (including the history of science and scientists) but let's try not to resort to 'm=3kg a=2ms-2 please work out F'. Come on, guys. ;) Technology questions are also allowed and encouraged.
11) Mathematics is also allowed, but take heed of rule 10).

Right, first question. Match the fundamental force to its relevant mediating elementary particle.

Gravitation
W and Z bosons​
Electromagnetic
photon​
Strong
graviton (hypothetical particle, I know)​
Weak
gluon​

Gravitation
graviton

Electromagnetic
photon

Strong
W and Z bosons

Weak
gluon

Alright, lemme see how good I manage without Google on this one. ;)

Gravitation - graviton
Electromagnetic - photon
Strong - gluon
Weak - W and Z bosons

:woohoo:

Alright, name the five nucleobases, and specify which of them that doesn't appear in DNA and RNA respectively.

Not quite.

EDIT: That was to Falcon. Niklas is correct. You're up.

Thought I might have strong and weak reversed, never really took any quantum physics.

Edit: Answering Niklas' question.

A G C T U (don't remember the names, dammit)

T appears in DNA, U in RNA.

Since I specifically asked for names though... :mischief:

I can name A, C, T and G (I think! Only a vague recollection), but not U.

But I'm not allowed to answer this question. :coffee:

For comic relief, for some reason I keep thinking C should be Cyanide. :crazyeye:

Spelling counts?

Uracile, Adenine, Cystine, Thyamin, Guanine?

U is the RNA one

A-G
A-T
A-U

U for Uracil, A for Adenine, C for Cystine, T for Thymine, and G for Guanine

Uracil is found in RNA, while Thymine (?) is its counterpart in DNA.

Cloooooose but not quite. Abbadon has the right idea, though SS-18 ICBM has corrected his mis-naming of Thymine. However, both give the same incorrect answer for C. It's not just a matter of spelling either.

Also Abbadon, good work on the pairings, though you've made an error that I think is a simple miswrite. It should be C-G on the first line, which I think you were aware.

Whoever first posts the correct name for C gets to go!

Now I remember. It's Cytosine.

Yup, your go! :goodjob:

Name the steps of cellular respiration.

As in, all the steps of the Krebs cycle? Gylcolysis? Or just the electron transport chain?

All the major steps of cellular respiration, not including the individual steps of each part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom