Cumulative PM-based History Quiz III

Taliesin

Puttin' on the Ritz
It is my great pleasure to initiate the third incarnation of this forum's most popular history quiz.

The rules:
1) Send your answers to the questioner using a private message. Do not post in the thread.
2) The highest scorer gets to set the next round of questions, unless he also set the previous quiz.
3) No research of the questions is permitted. However, answers discovered incidentally, for example in the course of unrelated reading, are admissible.
4) The awarding of points, as well as the setting and any extension of the deadline, are at the sole discretion of the quiz-setter.
5) The quiz-setter's responsibility is to provide a running scoreboard of current point totals, excepting those submissions which earn no points at all, and to provide his answers when the quiz is completed.

Quiz II.

Currently my quiz is in progress, and I will set a final deadline of June 19. That gives two more weeks for everyone to try for more points and for new competitors to submit. I'll copy the quiz and scoreboard posts from the previous thread.

1. What is the name, according to some official sources, of history's most famous Dalmatian? (4 points)

2. For 4 points, relate the circumstances of the last person to be convicted under British witchcraft legislation.

3. It has been said of a certain great man that, at some point in his life, "he became 'good,' abandoned his daughter, adopted correct principles, and wrote bad poetry." Name him (3 points) and the author of this quotation (2 points). You can get another 2 points by identifying the most important political event with which he is associated, and a further 1 point for his basic opinion of it. For 3 bonus points, say what he had in common with these fellows:

4. Name the first American President. (3 points)

5. In what country did the Terrace Mutiny occur (2 points), and what was its primary cause (2 points)?

6. Two roughly contemporary authors of immensely famous and well-loved children's books share something quite specific in common, something which began the literary career of one and ended the other's. Name the authors for 2 points each, and earn 3 points for briefly describing the thing they have in common.

7. Who was the first man who could officially call himself Prime Minister of the United Kingdom (3 points), and what was unique about his death (2 points)?

8. Use the pictures as clues to find the name I'm looking for:

4 points for the name; 1 point for each person pictured; 3 points for the painter of the fourth picture; 2 points for an explanation of each clue's connection to the answer; and 2 points for giving the name of the person most closely connected with the answer. Since I'm feeling generous, take another 2 points if you can say how one of the persons in this question was responsible for the deaths of several young men. 22 points in total are available for this question!

9. A certain cobbler (as he might be called), in the course of a storied life, was taken prisoner of war, collected for three years a daily gallon of wine from his king, and personally witnessed one of his country's most famous insurrections. Identify the man, the battle at which he was captured, the royal booze-pusher, and the insurrection in question, for 1 point each. He was also an author, and you can earn more points by identifying his two most important textual influences (2 points for each). Interestingly, the first recorded reference to a certain object in the natural world occurs in one of his writings, and you'll get 3 points if you can name it. (11 points in total.)

10. During which decade did the last veteran of the Crimean War die? (3 points.) Give the veteran's name to earn another 2 points.

11. What fact about the Earth was Ferdinand Magellan instrumental in conclusively demonstrating? (1 point.)

12. Among many rather curious preoccupations with his posterior, a very important historical figure reports doing much of his thinking, and even writing, while seated on his garderobe. Name him for 3 points.

The maximum score available is 80 points. As always, you are permitted to attempt any question more than once, but research is not allowed. :)

4. The fellow whose name I'm looking for held the office of President in what is now the United States, but predates Washington.

5. The Terrace Mutiny took place during the twentieth century.

6. The link is of a violent nature and, broadly speaking, took place within the same historical event as the Terrace Mutiny.

8. The name in question is legendary.

Questions 3, 8, and 9 are all literary questions, but of course they are also of considerable historical importance.

Catharsis 19
Adler17 15
Atticus 14
Dragonlord 12
sydhe 10
scienide09 6
dutchfire 2

Adler17 has added two points to edge into the lead.

Catharsis has stepped in with 12 points, and nice chances of increasing it. He's also the first to get question 1.

We have a new leader: Catharsis has upped his total to 17. The rest of you have only 5 days to catch him.

I'll accept answers until about 10 pm GMT on the 19th.

Catharsis is pulling away, with 19 points to his credit.

There are two last-minute submissions: sydhe adds 5 to his score, and luceafarul has utterly demolished the quiz with a 59-point effort that included at least part marks for every question save the first. However, neither submission knocks the present leader off the lead, so the winner of this quiz is Catharsis. Congratulations! :goodjob:

Final tally:

*luceafarul 59
Catharsis 19
sydhe 15
Adler17 15
Atticus 14
Dragonlord 12
scienide09 6
dutchfire 2

Thank you to all participants, and I hope we'll see you all back next time. I'm working a 70-hour week at the moment, so I'm not sure I'll get the answers up with any speed, but you'll see them within the next two or three weeks.

8th ain't bad, thanks for this quiz Taliesin :thumbsup:

Drat, I thought someone would be able to beat my score. Does that mean I have to host it now? :sad:

I'm not a history bod, I just dropped in because I knew a few of the answers. This is the problem: considering the ease with which luceafarul obliterated the quiz of Taliesin (whom I do not know, but I'd chance my opposable thumbs on being a more knowledgable historian than me) I shudder to think what he and the rest of you would do to any meagre offering I could create.

I'll give it a shot, but apologies in advance for it being too easy. ;) It'll probably be up within the week.

Sorry, everyone, I'm not going to be able to do this. I have time to post at CFC, but not to undertake a project like this. Apologies for being so long; my computer's been broken for much of it.

I suspect this means sydhe has it, if he wants it.

4. The fellow whose name I'm looking for held the office of President in what is now the United States, but predates Washington.

I assume you mean the President of the Continental Congress, however I don't think you could call him the first President, ahead of Washington.

I don't want this competition to die so I will be willing to make the next quiz if not anybody else volunteer.
I realize that it is against the rules, but rules should be bendable once in a while.
In case my offer is acceptable to the community, a new quiz will be up in a couple of weeks.

It's very hard to imagine that somebody would want to object. After all, the rules weren't made to kill the thread ;)

edit: I wonder has Taliesin forgotten us, or is he still busy. If he doesn't have time, we could try to gather the right answers to his questions.

I don't want this competition to die so I will be willing to make the next quiz if not anybody else volunteer.
I realize that it is against the rules, but rules should be bendabe once in a while.
In case my offer is acceptable to the community, a new quiz will be up in a couple of weeks.

Fine by me. I'm trying to come up with a single question for the other quiz.

Also fine by me. BTW in law there is a method called teleological reduction: If an event is under a specific law, although the law then is used against the intention, the law has to be reduced.
I wonder if that methodic is existing in other law systems, too.

Adler

I had a half-made quiz still lying about, and was thinking of completing and posting that in order to revive this good old quiz. However, I shall be going to China for a holiday next week, and so the time wouldn't have sufficed anyway. Therefore thanks to luc for his offer, and I expect another high-grade quiz from him!

Well, judging from the fedback it seems like I can just go ahead, so I will have one ready before the end of the month.
And nice to see that you are still around Ciceronian. Have a nice trip to China.

Top Bottom