Curated List of Vox Populi Tips

balparmak

Prince
I'll be adding tips on loading screens soon, here are the suggestions made by the community so far:

"Great Person yields are fixed at the moment they are created.",
"Unhappiness from needs caps at city population.",
"A large standing army costs less than losing half your empire to an opportunistic neighbor. The AI knows exactly how big your military is, so make sure it's never small.",
"Roads and forts can help immensely in both offensive and defensive wars, but be wary of the maintenance cost.",
"To deal with a snowballing civilization, isolate it diplomatically and weaken it one step at a time. Light a thousand fires.",
"Against an aggressive warmonger, value defensive positions for your frontier cities instead of good economic output: a lost city will grant you no reward.",
"Tourism is more than a victory condition: it also helps your trade routes and preserves the buildings and population of conquered cities.",
"Internal trade routes can be reliable ways to preserve your economy when barbarians and aggressive neighbors roam around.",
"Never let a settler or great person unguarded.",
"Your recon units are most vulnerable near coastal or mountainous tiles, where barbarians can often surprise and trap them.",
"Founding a religion isn't crucial if you know you can take the Holy City of your neighbor.",
"Even if you aren't aiming for a diplomatic victory, Great Diplomats are critical to not to be left at the mercy of more influential civilizations after the World Congress is founded.",
"Offense is often the best defense, particularly against warmongers whose power spikes later in the game.",
"Combat strength allows you to win battles, healing allows you to win wars.",
"If you don't have any gold and have negative income, your science will be reduced, and some units will be disbanded.",
"Technologies have their cost lowered when other players have researched them.",
"Always check your faith and gold stockpile before clicking 'Next Turn.' It's easy to forget you were saving them for a unit.",
"Units suffer a 0.3% combat strength penalty in melee combat and when attacking for every 1 damage taken. Soften your enemy's units with ranged attacks before attacking with your melee units.",
"Melee units garrisoning a city, fort, or citadel don't move to the tile of the unit they kill when ordered to attack. You can use those to keep your units from overextending.",
"Unhappiness from needs grows rather exponentially with the number of non-puppeted cities you own. Don't expand your empire without sizable surplus happiness.",
"Cities, forts, and citadels on a coastal tile count as a canal for your naval units and sea trade routes.",
"Missionaries lose strength if they end a turn on a tile belonging to another civilization that you do not have Open Borders. Try to end their turn just outside their borders.",
"When you expend a Great Writer, make sure you do it in a city where you want to grab new tiles from border growth.",
"Issue move orders with SHIFT+RCLICK to create waypoints.",
"CTRL+RCLICK issues a 'Move and Act' order. 'Act' depends on the unit: Workers repair tiles and improve resources, missionaries spread religion, diplomatic units spread influence, archaeologists dig, and combat units go into fortify or alert mode.",
"When voting for resolutions, right-click to assign all delegates and middle click to assign ten."

What do you think about these, any suggestions, objections or corrections? I think specific tips about VP mechanics (or areas where VP diverge from Civ5) would help the beginners most. All feedback and additional tips are welcome.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 185
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
Some tips are joke. Like: "Prepare roads and forts whenever possible. Sweat saves blood." - These are not always top priority, so not "whenever possible", I guess.
Or: "Never put all your eggs in one basket : every yield is important in the long term." - You can safely ignore gold if GPT is not negative. Faith is very optional if you don't found a religion and tourism can be ignored if you don't pursue cultural victory.
"Seize the moment : attacking a civilization which is struggling or without available unique component is the most efficient path to victory." - Not necessarily. Sometimes it's better to just play tall to rush SV or CV.

Last edited:
"Tourism is more than a victory condition : it also helps your trade routes and preserves the buildings and population of conquered cities."
I didn't even know that one, so that's why sometimes a city barely loses any population after being taken. That's very good to know.

One suggestion for a tip:

"Sometimes it's wiser to be merciful. Let the poor souls at the front of the enemy army live, so that they can slow down the advance of their comrades behind them"

What it means is for example a greatly injured knight right next to your city is unlikely to attack it on the next turn and sometimes the difficult terrain will make sure that he gets in the way of a full health enemy knight that would otherwise be able to attack your city and your units.

Last edited:
Or: "Never put all your eggs in one basket : every yield is important in the long term." - You can safely ignore gold if GPT is not negative. Faith is very optional if you don't found a religion and tourism can be ignored if you don't pursue cultural victory.

I don't think this tip is bad at all. While gold, faith and tourism are certainly less important than some other yields, every yield has dimishing returns at a certain point. For example, how much more science do you need to get as Pacal if you have tons of Kuna everywhere? At that point trying to get more gold is certainly relevant if you already optimize production. There is even such a thing as getting too much science. As your number of techs increases, so do your happiness needs and your military supply will also decreases too. So if you really get insane amounts of science but don't keep up with production and gold to rush buildings, you unlock things faster than you can build them or upgrade them. And with Morocco I used to get the reverse problem, which is I could buy and upgrade everything as soon as I get something new but I was falling behind in science because I was going full Industry and ignoring Rationalism. That's why I no longer complete either policy tree anymore and I usually get the opener and 2 policies of each of those trees.

Even if you don't found a religion, you can still get a lot from faith buying, especially once you can get unlocked Great People in the Industrial era. As for tourism, if you get ideological pressure, iirc you get less of it once your tourism with the relevant civ(s) reach a certain threshold, from unknown to exotic for example (correct me if I'm wrong).

"Protect your luxury and strategic resources from being pillaged."

"Have units patrolling any remote area in which your caravans go through"

"Capturing a Holy City resets faith accumulation??" edited: may not be true anymore

"A Great General from a neighbor at peace with you and moving toward your border is likely to plant a citadel which will steal a part of your territory."

Last edited:
"Capturing a Holy City resets faith accumulation"
A truth with modification. If you have a religion it doesn't. It you didn't have one it used to do it, I'm not sure if that is fixed or not. But it doesn't happen anymore if you have a religion already.

In general a lot of them a fairly good advice tho. But some of them come with big caveats such as the road building. It's great to have war-roads. But they all also cost a gold per turn so you don't want to go crazy and you want to remove them when you don't need them anymore. Sort of like you don't want to keep a lot of missionaries and workers around as they all costs gpt and the cost of them go up with era. Normally it's not a big issue but you care about your gold then it does matter or if you have a lot of them.

Fair points, I certainly ruined my economy a few times with early roadbuilding. I think more objective tips are the best, like the first two, the one abot G Diplos, tourism etc. I'll add a few about key combinations too

Perhaps a tip about being able to edit some of the files yourself for custom game experiences?

For example, turning off victory aggression creates more of a roll playing game where the AI won't dislike you because you might win before they will.

Personally, my biggest concern with this idea is actually the UI - I'm pretty sure that there isn't any room for tips in the smaller resolutions.

Here are some of my own totally not biased suggestions:

* The AI is not your friend. The AI will never be your friend.
* The only good AI is a dead AI.
* Do you trust your allies? Try disbanding half your army- and think again.
* Is the AI annoying you with trade deals? Remember, dead men make no offers.
* Vassals can be loyal- until they decide they're not, and threaten you with war at your worst moment.
* Destroying an enemy together is a great bonding activity. You might want to make new friends after though.
* Other civilisations can't stab you in the back if they don't exist.
* Thinking that an AI with the friendly attitude secretly wants to destroy you isn't being paranoid. It's the truth.
* Sometimes, no amount of wooing will stop an AI from hating you. Removing them from existence will.

Last edited:
Personally, my biggest concern with this idea is actually the UI - I'm pretty sure that there isn't any room for tips in the smaller resolutions.

Here are some of my own totally not biased suggestions:

* The AI is not your friend. The AI will never be your friend.
* The only good AI is a dead AI.
* Do you trust your allies? Try disbanding half your army- and think again.
* Is the AI annoying you with trade deals? Remember, dead men make no offers.
* Vassals can be loyal- until they decide they're not, and threaten you with war at your worst moment.
* Destroying an enemy together is a great bonding activity. You might want to make new friends after though.
* Other civilisations can't stab you in the back if they don't exist.
* Thinking that an AI with the friendly attitude secretly wants to destroy you isn't being paranoid. It's the truth.
* Sometimes, no amount of wooing will stop an AI from hating you. Removing them from existence will.

Clearly your tips are not biaised toward warmongering at all. I would vote for having them since they are so funny and true at the same time. The only one I disagree with is "The only good AI is a dead AI.", but that's probably because I play Morocco too much and I have research agreements enabled.

* The AI is not your friend. The AI will never be your friend. - False. It's easy to make friendships.
* Vassals can be loyal- until they decide they're not, and threaten you with war at your worst moment. - That literally never happened to me even with maximum taxes.
* Destroying an enemy together is a great bonding activity. You might want to make new friends after though. - That's actually a good tip

The rest is too obvious and isn't helpful at all. Like, sure, dead AI cannot trade or betray you. It cannot do anything.

I'd go with:
"If you don't have any gold and have negative income, your science will be reduced and some units will disband"

I think some of the tips proposed are meant to be a bit humorous, especially the ones which seem too obvious. It will be up to the people working on the loading screens to decide for themselves if they want any of the tips to be that way or only serious stuff.

"The AI is not your friend. The AI will never be your friend." "Do you trust your allies? Try disbanding half your army and think again." Declarations of friendship are made only if they are convenient, and neglecting your army will have severe consequences including a powerful vassal rebelling and attacking you while your army is on the other side of your empire. It did happen to me even though it is a rare occurence.

Perhaps a tip about being able to edit some of the files yourself for custom game experiences?

For example, turning off victory aggression creates more of a roll playing game where the AI won't dislike you because you might win before they will.
That is a really great suggestion and I would love to play around with it. Is there documentation about where values like this are and what changing them will do?

Some tips are joke. Like: "Prepare roads and forts whenever possible. Sweat saves blood." - These are not always top priority, so not "whenever possible", I guess.
"Seize the moment : attacking a civilization which is struggling or without available unique component is the most efficient path to victory." - Not necessarily. Sometimes it's better to just play tall to rush SV or CV.
I disagree, those tips are fine. They don't have to be interpreted so absolutely. As for roads... if you know there will be a war, key border roads are worth prioritising over most things.

When playing Authority, you want to settle a rush of cities (usually 2-3 new ones including the free settler) right as you get the third policy, for the 40:c5science: 40:c5culture: and then the 20:c5production: 20:c5gold: from the first border grow, it's an immense amount of yields. Usually I don't have any expos before then and found 2-3 in that burst, but if there's a really tasty spot maybe you want to rush getting it. I also never play Pyramids with Authority because units in the first critical turns are too dear after monument/shrine.

Top Bottom