[RD] curing aging

It's hard to overstate how obsessed I am with this. I turn 30 this year and absolutely dread it. I hate the idea of my body gradually decaying from its optimal performance. I hate it so much. I am 100% serious. What are the odds that we will find a cure for aging, and even be able to reverse a persons aging until their body was like when they were in their early 20's?

edit: if it were possible to freeze a living person (while not killing them) which would prevent them from aging, I would want to do it. 100% serious.

Completely stopping aging, or even reversing it, it quite an ask. Slowing it, treating age as an illness to be managed, is a possibility in the shorter term. Are you aware of caloric restriction? The one technique that can extent lifespan in all animal species when it has been tried, and the effect is beyond that of preventing obesity. I have not read it, but a couple of studies have just come out about how restriction of certain types of amino acid may be sufficient to get the effect.

Completely stopping aging, or even reversing it, it quite an ask. Slowing it, treating age as an illness to be managed, is a possibility in the shorter term. Are you aware of caloric restriction? The one technique that can extent lifespan in all animal species when it has been tried, and the effect is beyond that of preventing obesity. I have not read it, but a couple of studies have just come out about how restriction of certain types of amino acid may be sufficient to get the effect.

Sign me up. What foods would I have to stop eating? I'm ready to quit them all cold turkey, regardless of my enjoyment of them.

edit: the article is long and I don't understand a lot of it, sorry.

Sign me up. What foods would I have to stop eating? I'm ready to quit them all cold turkey, regardless of my enjoyment of them.

edit: the article is long and I don't understand a lot of it, sorry.
If I get a chance, I shall try and summarize it, but not right now. The short answer is probably a vegetarian diet that leaves you a little bit hungry.

what about drinks?

what about drinks?
Should be fine. This is saying the effect of caloric restriction can be gained by just stopping certain amino acids. If this is right, they you would not need to be hungry, but you would not want to eat much animal protein, as that is high in these amino acids.

accepting it will happen gives relaxation . Control on diet and exercise and a little care provides support , but still it will happen . Accepting it then allows you to save money , for the day you will really need doctors and stuff , because you will still be living at 50 , like very much you were at 30 , though the distance you will dare to walk or weights you will dare to lift will be less . (Poster being there , like almost) . Only thing to say it will happen ; and none of those bodies frozen or heads cut off even in the 1970s are like sustainable , it won't happen in 2070s either . Born ? Will die sometime .

Oh, I will die even if aging is cured. There are tons of ways a person can die without age related issues, something would happen eventually.

Thus, it's not death I fear, so much as getting older, slower, weaker, less energetic etc. Suicide isn't an option though.

Yeah, you're going to be alright. I hear they can cryogenically freeze you (I hope that's the correct term), then wakey wakey in two hundred years when the science caught up. So, make sure you make 100 million bucks at the very least before you go in, I have a hunch the cost on this kind of endeavor might spiral out of control.

EDIT: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryonics

Vegan diet, no drugs, no alcohol, no tobacco, lots of exercise, and most importantly, no video games, no television, especially watching sports, (opt for playing sports rather than watching them) ... no recreational internet and no discussing politics.

Do that... and you will virtually stop the aging process in its tracks.

Do it not... and, well... you pays your money, you takes your chances.

Last edited:
Vegan diet, no drugs, no alcohol, no tobacco, lots of exercise, and most importantly, no video games, no television, especially watching sports, (opt for playing sports rather than watching them) ... no recreational internet and no discussing politics.
Or you could have just written "No fun"... ;)

Oh, I will die even if aging is cured. There are tons of ways a person can die without age related issues, something would happen eventually.

Thus, it's not death I fear, so much as getting older, slower, weaker, less energetic etc. Suicide isn't an option though.

It doesn't happen fast enough for you to notice.
So if you take the attitude you expressed you will always be dreading the future but never feeling you've arrived at the point you fear. At least due to ageing alone.

Don't forget to win the genetic lottery! Anti-oxidants and wu can't stop a genetic predisposition to many forms of cancer. :)

I've learned 33 years plus 10,000 lifetimes the first time I ate an edible.

having passed through the age , ı will readily claim that depending on what you have done with your life , losing percentages here and there will make no difference . Was a loser at 30 , a loser at almost 50 .

There is only one way to defeat aging at the personal level, and that's to have a viable intervention before you need it. Usually the goal is to extend healthy lifespan, but the mathematical limit of that effort is a cure for aging.

There are some lifestyle things that you can do, but these are all obvious. The benefits of doing the 'obvious' things completely overwhelm the benefits of doing all the fine-tuning. There is literally no amount of kale (or whatever) that will get you to the goal. Sure, quitting smoking can add years to your life. Trimming obesity will do the same. Sleep, meditating, etc. all have benefits. But if you live your life like a fine-tuning mechanic, you're barely budging the needle. And, it's not the best use of your resources.

So, you need a viable intervention in time. That means that it needs to be invented and that you need to be able to afford it. Since any intervention will be on a Moore's Law type curve, bringing the discovery forward it time is the same as making it cheaper before you need it.

If you want it invented, you either need to reward investors for figuring it out or you need to literally assist the research. There's no amount of wealth accumulation that you can do that will increase Consumer Demand for success, because not only is that wealth zero-sum but also there is already a maximized customer base that will spend on any viable intervention. So, the only way that 'being rich' helps is if the intervention is invented in time, but you need it before it comes down in price.

Better bang-for-the-buck is to literally fund the necessary research. Not only is this the noble thing to do, but it also allows synergy. Keep in mind, you were willing to spend a bazillion dollars on kale, so the willingness to 'spend to win' was already present. The only difference is that it benefits from the synergy in my own efforts. If you and I both decide to just spend too much on kale, the cure doesn't come forward in time. If you and I spend the same amount on R&D, the cure comes forward in time. And if you figure out how to earn more money, your ability to fund the research grows. In many ways, 'making money then donating' is going to be more efficient than trying to do the research yourself. And in some ways, your donation is the same as you putting in hours to figure out the problem. If I donate an hours' wages, then there's a grad student who can work on it for an hour. Given that they have a Master's degree (I don't) and are surrounded by scientific (I am not), then getting them to do the work is the best way to do it. And all I needed to do was to work an hour to pay them to work an hour.
Extra benefit if you earn more than a grad student, which I assure you, is easy.

Keep in mind, in science we are always building on previous research. The goal is to get biologists spending IQ points on inventing new ways to extend healthy lifespan. There are ways to directly fund the efforts, but people usually balk. Imo, Huntington's Disease, Parkinson's Disease, Cystic Fibrosis, and Type 1 Diabetes are all fields where the feedforward benefits are large and obvious and where we under-invest. Very worst case, you're helping other people. Best case, you're increasing the odds that you'll make it over the finish line.

Keep in mind, the average person is not swayed by this, or even cares very much about funding any type of medical research, so canvassing can be better than personal donations. I have zero charisma and good earning power, so my donations are important to me. I have a charming and beautiful friend that regularly brings in 10x more money into medical research than I do, even if it's not targeted as carefully.

If you think that your quest is better done with effort than money, I can assure you that you're wrong. There's no amount of kale that will get you success. And if I join you in eating kale, there's no synergy.

Last edited:
There is only one way to defeat aging at the personal level, and that's to have a viable intervention before you need it. Usually the goal is to extend healthy lifespan, but the mathematical limit of that effort is a cure for aging.

There are some lifestyle things that you can do, but these are all obvious. The benefits of doing the 'obvious' things completely overwhelm the benefits of doing all the fine-tuning. There is literally no amount of kale (or whatever) that will get you to the goal. Sure, quitting smoking can add years to your life. Trimming obesity will do the same. Sleep, meditating, etc. all have benefits. But if you live your life like a fine-tuning mechanic, you're barely budging the needle. And, it's not the best use of your resources.

So, you need a viable intervention in time. That means that it needs to be invented and that you need to be able to afford it. Since any intervention will be on a Moore's Law type curve, bringing the discovery forward it time is the same as making it cheaper before you need it.

If you want it invented, you either need to reward investors for figuring it out or you need to literally assist the research. There's no amount of wealth accumulation that you can do that will increase Consumer Demand for success, because not only is that wealth zero-sum but also there is already a maximized customer base that will spend on any viable intervention. So, the only way that 'being rich' helps is if the intervention is invented in time, but you need it before it comes down in price.

Better bang-for-the-buck is to literally fund the necessary research. Not only is this the noble thing to do, but it also allows synergy. Keep in mind, you were willing to spend a bazillion dollars on kale, so the willingness to 'spend to win' was already present. The only difference is that it benefits from the synergy in my own efforts. If you and I both decide to just spend too much on kale, the cure doesn't come forward in time. If you and I spend the same amount on R&D, the cure comes forward in time. And if you figure out how to earn more money, your ability to fund the research grows. In many ways, 'making money then donating' is going to be more efficient than trying to do the research yourself. And in some ways, your donation is the same as you putting in hours to figure out the problem. If I donate an hours' wages, then there's a grad student who can work on it for an hour. Given that they have a Master's degree (I don't) and are surrounded by scientific (I am not), then getting them to do the work is the best way to do it. And all I needed to do was to work an hour to pay them to work an hour.
Extra benefit if you earn more than a grad student, which I assure you, is easy.

Keep in mind, in science we are always building on previous research. The goal is to get biologists spending IQ points on inventing new ways to extend healthy lifespan. There are ways to directly fund the efforts, but people usually balk. Imo, Huntington's Disease, Parkinson's Disease, Cystic Fibrosis, and Type 1 Diabetes are all fields where the feedforward benefits are large and obvious and where we under-invest. Very worst case, you're helping other people. Best case, you're increasing the odds that you'll make it over the finish line.

Keep in mind, the average person is not swayed by this, or even cares very much about funding any type of medical research, so canvassing can be better than personal donations. I have zero charisma and good earning power, so my donations are important to me. I have a charming and beautiful friend that regularly brings in 10x more money into medical research than I do, even if it's not targeted as carefully.

If you think that your quest is better done with effort than money, I can assure you that you're wrong. There's no amount of kale that will get you success. And if I join you in eating kale, there's no synergy.
I agree with almost all this point. I do not get your problem with kale, it is really cattle fodder and you have to work hard to make it palatable, but there is nothing wrong with it is there? Eating more fruit and vegetables is one of the "'obvious' things"?

I am not sure I get your list of diseases. Huntington's Disease in the top 4, with an incidence of 2.71 per 100,000? Did you mean T1D not T2D? Malaria research gets my charity money, novel antibiotics is what I would research if I cared more about myself.

Top Bottom