1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Currency

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Ramesses-Rules, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Ramesses-Rules

Ramesses-Rules Chieftain

I am wondering where you guys normally fit Currency into your tech sequence. Many of us research Alphabet and get Math in trade. From there, do you then usually tech Currency immediately (or soon) or research something else and hope to trade it for Currency? I have been experimenting around with this lately. Thanks!:)

2. Sian

Sian Chieftain

I usually tech Currency directly after Alphabet, usually theres only 1 (if any) other AI's that have it when i get there, and barring Zealots sharing religion, they aren't friendly's with anyone yet, so its a monopol tech which i can trade around at will

3. Ramesses-Rules

Ramesses-Rules Chieftain

I have always done Currency as soon as I get Math unless I have a ton of cash crops, and then I go Calendar and let the workers build plantations while I research Currency.

The experiment I tried lately is to go directly from Alpha to Literature to get a jump on NE and possibly Great Library, then use the extra Scientists to research Currency faster because I will have more beakers to throw at it, and it will cost less because more AIs will have it by then, and perhaps even be more willing to trade for it after I teched it a few turns. That's the theory.

I was just wondering whether anybody has other non-traditional routes to Currency. Thanks.

4. lasombra1984

lasombra1984 Chieftain

Worker techs->Polytheism-> Priesthood->Writing->Alphabeth->Currency.

5. Ramesses-Rules

Ramesses-Rules Chieftain

Interesting. I only tech Priesthood that early if a have religion (to build Temples) or plan to make a run at Oracle. Otherwise, I get it much later around the time I finally get religion, and then it often comes via trade rather than reseearch:).

6. xenex

xenex Chieftain

Why got poly>priesthood then writing, seems like a long way for no realy gain, the only thing I can see from this tech path is cheaper writing, but even so the turns shaved off of writing won't make up for the 2 techs you learned.

It's much better to just go worker techs>writing>alpha>currency
    or how I often end up doing it, worker techs>writing>maths>currency and get alpha from a trade usually by teching Aestethics to trade away, before or after maths depending on the situation.

7. Sisiutil

Sisiutil All Leader Challenger

In my latest games (Immortal difficulty), I will usually research Aesthetics before Alphabet then research part of Alphabet until one of the AI leaders will trade it to me for Aesthetics. I then research Literature and go after the Great Library.

This would be a natural time to research Currency, however I find on the higher levels that Mathematics, Currency, and Calendar are very popular tech targets for the AI. I try to make it a rule not to duplicate the AI's research, so I'll usually pursue something else. Thus I'll usually research Metal Casting next. It's a useful tech on its own (enables Triremes and forges, pre-req for Machinery, Optics, and depending on the map the Colossus can be handy). The AI usually avoids it because of its high cost, so I can then usually trade it for techs like Currency, Calendar, and even Construction, among other things (I'll usually have obtained Mathematics through a trade as well--probably by trading Aesthetics again). I sometimes have to throw in a little gold or another cheaper tech to get what I'm after (Literature is perfect for this once the GL is done).

8. TheMulattoMaker

TheMulattoMaker Dictator of RF

Why research part of a tech that you're going to trade for? Is the AI more willing to trade if they know you're already halfway to the tech?

9. Ataxerxes

Ataxerxes Chieftain

Yes. The AI knows how much the tech will cost you and changes it's cost accordingly. I don't know if the human can see this info on the trade screen or not.

10. TheMulattoMaker

TheMulattoMaker Dictator of RF

Eeenteresting. And no, I've never seen the AI's info, not even on BUG- but if my EPs are decent I can see how many turns until they tech, which gives me a pretty good idea.

11. Sisiutil

On top of that, remember that the AI always wants the better part of the deal. They'll never do a straight one-for-one swap when it comes to tech trading. Thus, even though Alphabet and Aesthetics have the same research cost, they will not do a straight trade of one for the other. You either have to throw in another tech or research a good chunk (something like 1/4 to 1/3) of the one you want.

And yet, Gandhi is perfectly willing to pay me all his available GPT plus two other resources in return for copper. When he has iron. :crazyeye: Sometimes the AI is a hard bargainer, and sometimes they're total rubes.

12. xenex

xenex Chieftain

Yeah the AI are thiefs when it comes to fair trade,I dont think they'll ever trade Aest straight up for Alpha.Their the same cost, but obviously Alpha is the better tech, but even so I never tried trading Aest straigh up for Alpha but im sure the AI won't go for it even thought they would be getting the better part of the deal.

The AI's will almost always want you to tech 1 or 2 turns into alpha before they'll trade it for Aest.

Maybe Ghandi was building the Colossus?I don't know just fishing for possible reasons, then again the AI is sometimes just weird so who knows.

13. da_Vinci

da_Vinci Gypsy Prince

Maybe he wants to build Colossus? Or internet? :mischief:

(Probably Gandhi's just a rube ... :rolleyes:)

dV

14. Mechanicalsalvation

Mechanicalsalvation Universal aristocracy of the proletariat

I do pretty much the same on immortal. Quite often I can get to currecy through G.Merchant which is to likely pop up after I build T.o.Artemis

15. Sisiutil

I was using Gandhi as an example. The AI is programmed to highly value any and all strategic resources, such that they will pay exorbitantly high prices for them even if they don't really need them. Thus, you can charge the AI GPT and one or two resources in exchange for copper even if they have iron, and even if the Colossus has already been built and the Statue of Liberty is many, many, many turns away. The AI will also pay through the nose for iron. Other highly-valued resources are horses, ivory, marble and stone (in the early through mid-game) and later in the game, oil, coal, aluminum, and uranium.

Of course, this goes both ways; the AI will, in turn, charge you a lot for a strategic resource. Thus, for most of the game, they'll set a very high price for Ivory, for example. You will not be able to swing a single-resource-for-Ivory exchange until fairly late in the game, shortly before it becomes obsolete.

16. Ataxerxes

Ataxerxes Chieftain

The AI can be cheated the other way as well. They will pay a high price for a resource they won't be able to use for a long time. Long before they can use it, you can sell them Aluminum. You reap the benefits and then cancel the trade when they discover Rocketry. The AI just isn't programmed to "think" about how useful the resource is, they just have a value for a strategic resource. People have a tendency to believe the AI has some sort of method to what it does. It just leads a turn to turn existence.

17. Ramesses-Rules

Ramesses-Rules Chieftain

I find this very interesting because (A) I have never tried it, (B) it makes sense at Immortal, and (C) it is especially good for Ramesses since I can build Forges faster than other civs. I am definitely going to try this. Sometimes Shaka also goes for MC early,but he won't trade anyway, so that is not critical. Thanks!:D

18. xenex

xenex Chieftain

Yeah the AI's seem to really not want to trade away metal casting, I cant blame them though.

19. Manfred Belheim

Manfred Belheim Chieftain

In my current game I had an AI do a fair trade on techs. I was surprised he didn't ask for a bit of gold in addition, but he accepted a straight swap. And then another AI traded two techs for two of my techs when BOTH of his were higher value. So, unless something very weird was going on, it does happen.

... or do they take into account how much you've researched towards the tech they give you, and consequently value it lower? Not that I can remember now if that was the case for either of the two situations above.

20. ParadigmShifter

ParadigmShifter Random Nonsense Generator

Is that below noble? Techs for the AI cost more than for the human then, maybe this is factored into the beaker values for them?