1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

current lybian situation in civ5 terms

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Nicol.Bolas, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Kamamura

Kamamura Warlord

No need to sigh. USA has slightly more than 21 billions of barrels of proven reserves of oil (Wikipedia). Considering current consumption of 20 millions of barrels/day, These reserves would under ideal conditions be sufficient for roughly 3 years. There is of course the question of EROI, because you would have to invest in infrastructure to tap these reserves - because most of them are hard/dangerous to get, as the Gulf spill demonstrated.

So that's it, 3 years. Is that "plenty of oil"?

2. Isikien

Isikien WHOA

So by that merit you'd prefer to try and jump down people's throats in order to get them to rally to a cause that is so congested in terms of politics it would be impossible for normal people to intervene? White knighting for the sake of white knighting yeah? Give me a break, ostracising people on this forum for their ignorance is so stupidly vain, it's patronising and you shouldn't do it, unless you are involved and invested in the Lybian crisis PERSONALLY and unless this forum is PERSONALLY involved as well.

I know I'll get yellow carded and modded out for this attitude and yes, I understand this is a bit of a knee jerk reaction, but I just plain 100% disagree with your reasoning.

Face it, this is a difficult situation, charity, though it has a short term gain, would cause such long term complications. There is nothing that normal people can do short of going to the warzone themselves and getting their hands dirty. This is a fight those people have to fight.

3. Truthy

Truthy Chatbot

They also got really mad at Edinburgh and supported blowing up a passenger aircraft over Scotland.

4. Roller123

Roller123 Prince

The gulf spill happened because BP disregarded even the most basic safety precautions. Like those guys at the Chernobyl power plant. And got the same result.

5. skallben

skallben Diplomat

Well, it is rather odd that a thread about Libya ended up being a discussion about US oil reserves and some opinions winded here are rather dismissive of the situation in Libya. And I disagree that charity is pointless here, supplies are getting scarce and there is allready aid going into the country. What to do after hostilies are over is a completely different subject. However, you are right that being able to joke about the situation and being aware of the seriousness of the rebels struggle are in no way mutually exclusive concepts.