Current (SVN) development discussion thread

In the loading screen it specifies that "Colonize" means to found a certain number of cities and not conquer. However, the British victory condition says colonize, but conquering suffices.
I think right now in game "colonize" simply means to have a certain number of cities, in contrast to "control".

Yeah, I had this hint too, recently, which kind of contradicts my intention for the British UHV.

Sometimes it's very hard to formulate a goal in a concise and unambiguous way without filling 3+ lines in the civ selection screen. The problem I had with that English goal is that "colonize" works even with "all continents" as object, while "settle or conquer" kind of makes no sense without mentioning cities, which again begs the question of how many, which isn't easily stated because the numbers are different for different continents. I hope you get my problem here. Now this mod has the advantage of the sub-goal tracking, which means that the main goal description doesn't have to cover every detail, so I guess this is fine in most cases (the other new English goal has a similar problem by the way, because strictly speaking it implies that you have to sink 50 ships in the turn of 1800 AD, but I trust your common sense here).

Now I think that Rhye was wrong with his "definition" of colonizing. Britain didn't colonize India by founding Plymouth-like colonies on the Indian subcontinent, but by subjugating polities that were already there. So I guess I'll remove that hint and change all existing mentions of colonize in the sense of "settle only" to "found ...".

Yeah, I had this hint too, recently, which kind of contradicts my intention for the British UHV.

Sometimes it's very hard to formulate a goal in a concise and unambiguous way without filling 3+ lines in the civ selection screen. The problem I had with that English goal is that "colonize" works even with "all continents" as object, while "settle or conquer" kind of makes no sense without mentioning cities, which again begs the question of how many, which isn't easily stated because the numbers are different for different continents. I hope you get my problem here. Now this mod has the advantage of the sub-goal tracking, which means that the main goal description doesn't have to cover every detail, so I guess this is fine in most cases (the other new English goal has a similar problem by the way, because strictly speaking it implies that you have to sink 50 ships in the turn of 1800 AD, but I trust your common sense here).

Now I think that Rhye was wrong with his "definition" of colonizing. Britain didn't colonize India by founding Plymouth-like colonies on the Indian subcontinent, but by subjugating polities that were already there. So I guess I'll remove that hint and change all existing mentions of colonize in the sense of "settle only" to "found ...".

Can you make a counter for the Russian historical goal "settle 7 cities in Siberia"? Like the one with Rome. I was sometimes not sure which tiles were counted as Siberian and had to WB cities to find out.

Is there any way for Privateers to count towards the 25 ships goal? You can change it to 32 ships if you count Privateers. I really like Privateers.

Or something more ambiguous, like:

"Have a more powerful navy than the rest of the world combined in 1800."

You can achieve this by building ships, sinking ships, or fast teching to Combustion. More flexibility.

I have not seen any mentions of this besides in the hint; I think it's the only thing that needs to be changed. And yes, I completely agree with you about the india thing.

Is there any way for Privateers to count towards the 25 ships goal? You can change it to 32 ships if you count Privateers. I really like Privateers.

You can achieve this by building ships, sinking ships, or fast teching to Combustion. More flexibility.

I think this better reflects the English policy toward the navy. It seems like this could represent the two-power Standard. (The policy that stated that Britain could have a navy the size of the next two navies combined)

Can you make a counter for the Russian historical goal "settle 7 cities in Siberia"? Like the one with Rome. I was sometimes not sure which tiles were counted as Siberian and had to WB cities to find out.
Sure.

I'm excluding Privateers because they're a) too cheap and b) are not really part of your official navy and therefore don't fit with the "show the world you have a great navy" goal.

We already had a ships goal relative to other navies, the problem with it is that you sometimes can't rely on the AI to make it challenging.

Sure.

I'm excluding Privateers because they're a) too cheap
Like I said, you can make the ship numbers goal proportionally higher.

Anyways, Privateer costs 80, while Frigate costs 90. I don't see that much of a difference honestly.

and b) are not really part of your official navy and therefore don't fit with the "show the world you have a great navy" goal.
They have the Letters of Marque, yes?

Sir Francis Drake is also voted the 49th (underrated here IMO) Greatest Briton of all time - I'd say the British regard him a national hero in the same class as Horatio Nelson or the Duke of Wellington. He certainly impressed upon the world the naval power of England. And I'd bet Phillip II of Spain regarded Drake as a very official part of the Royal Navy.

We already had a ships goal relative to other navies, the problem with it is that you sometimes can't rely on the AI to make it challenging.
Yes we had a two-power standard UHV in Synthesis back then but I found the goal to be much more challenging than 25 ships.

Anyways, even if you don't implement the 2-power standard, please consider including Privateers in the ship number UHV. Everybody here likes Pirates, no?

What will be the focus of 1.9 SVN? Will it be decolonization?

Just done UHV as Vietnam. More fun, IMO than being Khmer :)

Some thing to notes...
- I think the Seljuk should be playable, or at least vassal-able by the Arabian.
- Italy still do not spawn at the proper time...?
- IIRC I still saw Musketeer in the WB.. CMIIW, though.
- I had a screenshot where I choose to play as Italy from 3000BC Scenario; Rome is my neighbor..

Some thing to notes...
- I think the Seljuk should be playable, or at least vassal-able by the Arabian.
I knew this would come up sooner or later. Won't happen :)

- Italy still do not spawn at the proper time...?
Italy still needs at least one independent city in its core to spawn.

- IIRC I still saw Musketeer in the WB.. CMIIW, though.
Yes, Musketeers are still in the game, but nobody can build them.

- I had a screenshot where I choose to play as Italy from 3000BC Scenario; Rome is my neighbor..
Yes, AI Italy won't spawn with Rome still alive, I think I will force a collapse for AI Rome during the Italian autoplay.

Italy still needs at least one independent city in its core to spawn.

Isn't that a little bit too harsh, Leoreth? I think 'one independent city in Italy' would allow for more regular Italian spawns.

Another thing,
would you please remove the Diplomatic Victory? It's not fair - at least for the Arabian ;)

Isn't that a little bit too harsh, Leoreth? I think 'one independent city in Italy' would allow for more regular Italian spawns.
Probably better, yes.

Another thing,
would you please remove the Diplomatic Victory? It's not fair - at least for the Arabian ;)
Why? Or do you mean the AP diplomatic victory?

Why dont you just turn on custom scenarios, so you can pick the possible victories to go for, and other game options, in each game? :)

how do you turn on custom scenarios?

Leoreth, I know that you want to ensure that Russia is Orthodox, that's why they start with Orthodoxy, but it is very strange to start as Orthodox without a single Missionary and a single Orthodox city. Russian Prince Vladimir was considering different religions before he opted for Eastern Christianity, so here we have a case when the civ or human player needs to convert, rather than being forced to start as Orthodox. Just give them a better probability to chose Orthodoxy! 8 out of 10 times Orthodoxy will spread to one of the Southern city and Russia will convert to Orthodoxy, as it was in the real life... Please let the player see "Russia converts to Orthodoxy" message :).

Also Pagan Temples must be buildable when you run Animism and Pantheon ONLY. When you build something in a city as a ruler it means that this building is erected by your direct order (as opposed to private initiatives not reflected in the game). So when you start as a Orthodox civ you, the leader, are Orthodox and cannot order building a Pagan Temple! Things need to make sense, wouldn't you agree?

how do you turn on custom scenarios?

In the mod folder, find a file called "RFC Dawn of Civilization" with the size of 1kb. Halfway down, change the 1 to 0 in the following line "No Custom Scenario option in main menu, NoCustomScenario = 1"

You are a diamond Sir!

Top Bottom