1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Custom "autolog" mod? What needs to be logged?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Demo Game: Citizens' started by DaveShack, Dec 26, 2005.

1. DaveShack

DaveShack Inventor Retired Moderator

Two questions, do we want a custom DemoGame autolog mod, and if so what do you think needs to be logged? There are a lot of events which can be logged, it will be easier to ask for it and find out what can't be done than it would be to list them all.

2. Octavian X

Octavian X is not a pipe.

I think that using the autolog mod should be the choice of the DP. While I think we're best off if just about every single detail of a game is logged, it's just not a good precedent to require modifications to the game in order to be allowed to play it.

3. BCLG100

BCLG100 Music Master

totally agree with what you just said. :)

4. ravensfire

ravensfire Member of the Opposition

As we've done in the past, set the expectations for the log. How the DP get there is entirely up to them.

-- Ravensfire

5. DaveShack

Time to bump this.

We had a pretty good battle over no-cheat mode vs autolog. In one of the poll threads, it was revealed that the Hall of Fame folks have a special mod which must be installed to open a save, but it allows both the autolog function to be actived, and the no-cheat mode to be enabled.

So this brings us to discussion of another potential option. Now we have:

1. Play with no-cheat OFF, allow optional installation of autolog type functions. This was chosen in a previous poll.
    2. Play with no-cheat ON and a custom DemoGame mod (based on HoF mod) which would have to be installed by everyone who wants to open the save. I would update (or lead a team to update) the HoF mod with any and all things the DemoGame wants to use.
    3. Play with no-cheat ON and no mods. This was discarded in a previous poll.
    I am perfectly fine with either option 1 or 2. I'm ok with making changes to the mod for option 2, but you would need to choose it and tell me (us) what to change.

Once we decide between #1 and #2, we're stuck with that choice. Well, someone could come up with a save game editor which would "undo" the need to load the mod before loading the game, but it probably wouldn't be me.

6. ravensfire

My sole objection to "no-cheat" was eliminating the auto-log utility. Something that allows logging, but locks off everything else is fine with me.

-- Ravensfire

7. Bengeance

Bengeance Civ Retributioner

If someone does develop the "autolog" mod that doesn't allow cheating I would love to have it. Sounds like a fine option to me.

8. DaveShack

I got a PM from Dianthus that "no-cheat" has a bug that makes saves unusable on systems which sort the file list in a different order than the system where the save was created. Given that using it would have a good chance of making the save unusable for some citizens, I guess we'd better drop the idea of enabling it.

Details available upon request. :)

9. ravensfire

Whelp, that about kills me being DP. Alt-Tab takes far too long on my system.

Nuts.

-- Ravensfire

10. DaveShack

Whoa, don't read too much into that...

We voted that autolog is allowed, with no-cheat off, and that hasn't changed. This just means that a custom mod shouldn't be combined with no-cheat.

11. ravensfire

*smack* Sheesh - too many details in my brain.

You are, of course, correct, DS. Ignore the previous - I've got too many tests on my head!

-- Ravensfire

12. Ginger_Ale

Ginger_Ale Lurker Retired Moderator

Guys, let's stick with what we have. I can easily still think of ways to cheat, unfortunately, even bypassing "No Cheat":

1) Just edit the XML file in your original install file / add a custom python script there (ie; add a line saying map is visible in a certain year, and then you'll see the whole map).
    2) Simply playing out the game (after a DP plays it) to explore the map for spoilers.

Those are some basic ones. Even No Cheat won't stop those - I think it's advisable we trust the citizens and go with No Cheat off, autolog on.

13. I am the Future

I am the Future Oi Oi Oi !!!

on a slightly off note, I would say that we should include the chosen flag into our mod for our nation AND add our motto into the diplomatics text.

14. DaveShack

Yes, that's what we're doing. :) Except that I'm suggesting we customize autolog to be DG-autolog...