Custom Civlilzations?

Buildkirbyus

Trainee Modder
I, like a lot of people, probably wonder how the modding structure for Custom Civilizations are. Is it different, but very familiar to Civ5 modding veterans? How are the new mechanics like Agendas coded? What makes up a leader scene? How can one make custom districts?
I'm sure we'll know these questions soon enough but I wanted to ask to see if the modding giants of Civ5 already know some things.

From what I can tell, it is very similar to Civ 5 modding, with obvious differences. The easiest way to see how a good part of it works is to navigate to D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\DLC\Aztec_Montezuma . The Aztec DLC is actually structured quite like a mod, and all of the files regarding the leader and civilization are neatly organized and separate from the game. Saying that though, a lot of the misc files such as text, art assets, and music are all defined elsewhere in the base game's files located at D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Base\Assets . Hope this helps

Slowly, I've been piecing an alternative leader together in Nicholas II. I've been successful, except obviously with adding new art (this will have to wait until the SDK). Modifiers and the lot are a bit daunting atm, but in the long-run will be more flexible. But yes, the basic logic of making a leader (at least) is the same, except there are more intricate parts to it.

JFD, does your leader replace one of the existing ones, or does it add a new one entirely. So far I've achieved getting everything to show up in pre game screen (choosing leaders) but upon loading a game with the custom leader in it the game crashes. Any thoughts?

Entirely new. I did have this crashing issue, and it is because there are two databases: a configuration one (pre-game), and a gameplay one (in-game), and when the latter is empty of what the former refers to, the game will CTD. You need to load these differently in the modinfo file.

Check what I've currently got here; easier to see what you're missing.

Thanks a lot JFD, I'll let you know if I can get it working and if I can just find anything else out about the modding process.

Nevermind, I've manged to get everything working. Thanks for your help

Last edited:
Top Bottom