1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Custom House and other ideas

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - Age of Discovery II' started by pjdodd, Apr 8, 2009.

1. pjdodd

pjdodd Chieftain

Hello

Thank-you for a great mod that turns a dog-poo game into something very enjoyable.

I have the following suggestions based on limited gameplay.

1) Aggressive Indians
    At the moment I have never had them attack me for all the rampant settling I do. They don't fight back and it's too easy.

2) Custom House
    The return of the Custom House building please, but make it available with a Founding Father (as original Col) or after several key buildings are built, and as it's bonus it will flog the goods to Europe at the current price and current tax rate.

3) Static Leaderheads
    The current build 1.09 is very stable but as I'm still having problems with movies. Could you include a set of static leaderheads.

4) Balanced resources
    All the maps I play seem to be either a chain smoker's paradise, a drunk's paradise or a fashionista's dream. The result being a natural crash in Europe prices too soon. Any chance of introducing a more balanced map that has the resources spread around a bit more?

5) More resources
    Yes I'm greedy for asking this but how about adding some of the resources in Civ such as Horses (confer a bonus for the ranch) or Gold (confers a lower tax rate for Custom House) or Gunpowder (confers a conversion bonus from tools to muskets)? What about Uranium (confers a glowing bonus on all units)? [joke]

6) Clearer icons
    This is a major pain in the rear for me...those existing resource icons at the bottom of the screen and on the Governor trade option bit are crap. Really crap. Indistinguishable. Fowl. Too many goods are in crates so they all look the same. I'll help design some if you want as at the moment setting up and managing the economy is a pain.

7) Keyboard short cuts.
    Please oh please swop the automated explore shortcut (E) with the goto Europe (Ctrl-E) short cut. Please please please. What moron thought you would spend more time setting units on auto-explore than sending ships to Europe? Damn stupid!

8) Education
    Ability to train veteran soldiers is required. Essential. Vital. Much wanted. Ability to train up/reform criminals and ind servants also much needed. Indians should refuse colonists a lot more often when angered or you don't trade with them.

9) Economy
    Europe trade prices could be subject to fads i.e. prices suddenly lifting for 20 turns as Cloth is the in-thing, then crashing for the next 20 turns as it's sooooo last season! Obviously muskets, horses, tools and food shouldn't be subject to such whims. Also, can trade goods be removed and replaced with something you can actually build and trade with Europe? Another resource to exploit?

10) Opening screen.
    Too pixelly (on my 1900x1200 screen). Too washed out scanned-from-a-dodgy-book looking. Need help with a new one?

I'm sure I had more thoughts but lost them while thrashing Portugal.

2. PrinzMyshkin

PrinzMyshkin Chieftain

1. Indians are weak. They are not non-aggressive. I actually have huge problems reversing their mood.

The computer does not attack stuff, when it is a 99.9% loss.

The main problem with them is they cannot develop their colonies, the near lands, and make efficient troops. Indian villages should also be able to develop the near lands.

Let's say build a hunting post for +1 food, and something to produce culture (totem?).

They could also be able to build warriors with +1 combat (3 strength). They could also have a native scout moving 2 squares with strength 2.

Soldiers and Dragoons may want to go at 4 and 5.

So instead of 2:3 (40%), and 2:4 (33%) combat odds, it will be 3:4 (43%) and 3:5 (37.5%), which favours the Indians a bit more.

2. I think Dale will up warehouse expansion at some point.

3. Check the download section there is a mod-pack.

4. Play FairWeather or A_New_World? FairWeather is supposed to generate realistic maps.

5. Sounds cool. Prime timber was awesome... Horses did not exist in the new world, hence it would be a bit unhistorical.

8. You can train VSs, since v1.01 is out.

9. I think, it is not realistic to have values to jump sky high in a turn. New europe prices are much more stable now.

Trade goods suck, you are right. What about boosting them, so they can yield a more steady profit?

3. Zuul

Zuul Mod lister!

V1.10 includes my version of the custom house. It's not as good as in original Col, but it's better than the warehouse expansion.

4. PrinzMyshkin

PrinzMyshkin Chieftain

Saying that what is the level of building required to train Elder Statesmen? Leve 3 is now college, is there any conflict?

5. Dale

Dale Chieftain

College is still level 2 education. Only a Uni is level 3 education.

6. PrinzMyshkin

PrinzMyshkin Chieftain

Guys, why don't we replace the custom house building upgrade from the BTS version?

We could also use some other stuff like stables, ironworks etc.

Does anyone know, if the buildings in the city pannel use the same files with the 3D glove view?

7. Wheldrake

Wheldrake Chieftain

Perhaps you are playing on too low a difficulty setting, or else you just naturally do all the right things to avoid the natives getting restless. Because in my experience, it's very hard to avoid having the natives attack; and if they do attack and it's too early, meaning that you haven't yet had time to place defenders in all your cities and you don't have a strike force of dragoons ready, a war with natives around your cities can be a real disaster, as they burn your unprotected settlements to the ground and destroy any units you inadvertently leave outside.

I don't get this - the 2nd warehouse improvement sells off excess goods automatically. Why would you need a custom house in addition to that? Or are we just griping about getting paid at half price? The way round that is to ship those goods yourself, and watch the tax rate skyrocket, or else sell them to natives for whatever they'll give.

Often I find I have two key resources near my starting cities (say, sugar and tobacco) but I have to build a more distant city to get access to a third (say, cotton). This is a good design feature, IMHO, since it makes you go and build that distant harvesting city, and work out the logistics of making it profitable for you. I mean, otherwise, you might as well just plop down all the right resources through the Worldbuilder cheat screen. Being forced to use and work with the terrain may feel inconvenient at times, but it seems to me that it adds something to the game.

IMHO there is no need for additional resources. Any of the things suggested here would just make the game easier, instead of making you work at getting your economy running in a profitable fashion. There are already ways to increase horse, gun or gold production.
    I don't see the logic behind the first part about veteran soldiers. You can already have your soldiers gain bonuses to combat of various sorts, through the experience system. If what you mean is it's too hard to fight the REF without the added bonus of veterans, well, perhaps you just need to build more guns, horses, soldiers and dragoons. On the second point, I would agree that having more varied responses from natives than just peace vs war would be a good thing. I used to dread the semi-random attacks from natives on my settlements, wagon trains and isolated settlers.

I agree it could be good to have more variation in trading, more chances to trade with natives or other competing colonial powers, and more variations in trading with Europe. Currently, it's really just a one-way-street to less advantageous prices, kind of ho-hum.

But that's all a question of advanced scripting, isn't it? --- Wheldrake

8. PrinzMyshkin

PrinzMyshkin Chieftain

Hi Wheldrake well said,

Just a quick comment:

It is extremely hard to sell and micromanage 15+ colonies. Hence, the custom house building helps a lot (yes, it offers an improved sell off penalty). I don't know if you had the chance to play col. in 1994, but custom house is missing a lot!

As I said before: Why don't we replace the custom house building graphic upgrade from the BTS version?

9. Aerion

Aerion Chieftain

I have to agree with the OP. The one thing I miss most from the original game is the Custom House. Having the Warehouse Expansion selling off surplus a few at a time and at half price isn't a worthy substitute in my opinion.

10. Wheldrake

Wheldrake Chieftain

IMHO *this* is the major problem. the warehouse sells just a few of the item per turn, meaning that stockpiles can really build up!

In fact, if you're producing faster than the sell-off rate, it means you can effectively stockpile *unlimited* numbers of such goods, having hundreds or even thousands of units of tobacco, sugar, or whatever, and the excess just gets sold little by little.

However, I feel the half-price hit is a fair trade-off for not having to manage the transport of all those myriad goods.

YMMV, --- Wheldrake

11. Zuul

Zuul Mod lister!

In 1.10 warehouse sells of at 10%, warehouse expansion at 40%, and custom house at 60%.

But maybe there should be a overflow system too, like if it has more than double they are just discarded instead. Dale could you add something like that?

12. PrinzMyshkin

PrinzMyshkin Chieftain

Prices in Europe will fall. That' the natural process. :)

As I said before, why don't we replace gfx for the custom house from Civ4:BTS?

13. ExtraCrispy

ExtraCrispy Chieftain

Will the custom house be able to sell boycotted goods?

14. PrinzMyshkin

PrinzMyshkin Chieftain

No, I also find the 60% too much underpowered. If and only if custom houses affect prices in Europe - else it is probably fine!

The main problem is the following.

What is the best way to sell stuff in Europe? Fill up a whole galleon with 600 tons of the same product!

Why on earth should I do it?

Simply because, if you sell 300 tons, and later another 300 tons the price will fall. If you sell 600 at once, the price will be the same, and then it will drop a lot.

Custom houses sell every turn a small quantity. Making them awful bad for selling at optimum price in Europe. Let alone why on earth should a half decent player sell in a 40% smaller price? I could accept a 5 or 10% fee, but no more. Seems it's one the things I will manually edit. ;)

Do custom houses affect prices in Europe?

EDIT:

Just realized the following by checking \ CIV4BuildingInfos.xml.

Storage house:
    < iOverflowSellPercent >0< /iOverflowSellPercent >
    < bImpactEuropePrice>0</bImpactEuropePrice >

Warehouse
    < iOverflowSellPercent >10</iOverflowSellPercent >
    < bImpactEuropePrice >1< /bImpactEuropePrice >

Warehouse Expansion
    < iOverflowSellPercent >40< /iOverflowSellPercent >
    < bImpactEuropePrice >1< /bImpactEuropePrice >

Custom House
    < iOverflowSellPercent >60< /iOverflowSellPercent >
    <bImpactEuropePrice>1</bImpactEuropePrice>

This probably means:
    Warehouse sells 10% overflow products and ( <bImpactEuropePrice>1</bImpactEuropePrice> ?)
    Warehouse expansion sells 40% overflow
    Custom House sells 60% overflow

There is no other difference between these buildings, other than storage capacity. The bImpactEuropePrice is always unity. I am not so sure what affects the selling value is it the overflow selling at overflow % or bImpactEuropePrice?

15. DodgyDave

DodgyDave Chieftain

if the overflow effects prices in europa, so that a few units per turn will do as much harm on prices as hundreds of units, then i dont want to trade, so there should be a yes or no on selling the surpluss, as i would rather stockpile it and then ship it myself...

on the point of taxes, will overflow not also cause taxes to come in faster? because right now, i dont move ships at varies times to europa to trade, becaues that does cause taxes faster, but rather make or buy ships, move them to europa with goods and wait for all ships to be ready at natives and/or in europa and then sell it all and buy new stuff, then do it all over again, perhaps a bit slower for the trade, but it will limit the tax increases to a level one can manage... Dont want the overflow to ruin this, then i would rather turn off overflow, if that was possible...

16. PrinzMyshkin

PrinzMyshkin Chieftain

I agree! It seems to harm more than use.

I would prefer to stockpile it, or even lose a few surpluss, rather than modify the price. I think is one the things, I am gonna mod myself.

Does anyone know what is that: <bImpactEuropePrice>1</bImpactEuropePrice> ?

17. Dale

Dale Chieftain

That's one of my tags. ;)

Basically it asks if trading in that good affects the price in Europe.

18. PrinzMyshkin

PrinzMyshkin Chieftain

Cheers, Dale.

Does iOverflowSellPercent determines both the selling value and the % of the overflow goods which are sold?

I don't think I there is any other variable...

19. Aerion

Aerion Chieftain

Actually, the one thing I've always wished for was the ability to trade with more than on European power. Granted that England, through the East India Trading Company, forced all the colonies to trade only though London, but surely the other colonies were not so rigid.