Custom Rule Changes

Ginger_Ale

Lurker
Retired Moderator
Chamnix brought up in the ruleset discussion thread one possible change he'd like to see: moving map trading up to Map Making/Astronomy/some required tech. It is a very valid point, so, I created this thread in case there are other changes you would like to see be made, and then we can create a multiple choice poll for the teams to vote on them. Maybe you want communications trading to go back to Writing, or something like that. Suggest them here. :)

I think the trading of directions should be allowed. You'd still have to drag your own unit all the way over there, and it's another item to spice up the early game trade table.

EDIT: I just realized that you were probably referring to in-game mechanic rule changes, so please disregard this post. :blush: ;)

In my opinion, map trading should be allowed with the discovery of Map Making.
That's pretty early in the game, sure – but what's wrong with that?
It adds an extra level of fun, and something more to barter over/trade with.

Before that – I would even allow discussion of directions with the discovery of writing. If one can establish an embassy, certainly you could say "oh yeah, those hairy Celts are off the North, by the way."

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

Navigation is a pretty long way to wait before being able to swap maps. I don't see anything wrong with MapMaking... or Astronomy, for that matter :)

since it's all humans, I think that's fine. I dunno why map trading was moved to the middle ages, but I assume it was because it gave the human too big an advantage to be able to see the entire world.

Moving map trading to Map Making makes sense to me, as does moving communication trading to Writing. If it were up to me, I'd also switch the Longevity wonder to Sanitation. It's more logical there, and I have great doubts that this game is gonna make it to the Modern Age anyway.

fe3333au said:
Map Making is logical ... if you can draw one, then you should be able to sell it.

Well, wouldn't you need map making and currency to sell it?

No matter what is decided about trading maps (which I consider to be in game map trading and screenshot trading) we should be able to talk about the terrain around us as soon as we meet another civ.

Once you permit giving directions, you might as well permit giving maps. For example, once you can say:

Start on East Mountain tile ... then go E, N, N.
That Tile is a jungle on the coast ... NE, NE is a Whale ... SE is a fish ... W is a Banana.

How is that any different from providing a map?

Chamnix said:

At least it bears much more chances for misunderstandings, is much less convenient and does not support the human imagination too much... :hmm:

Therefor I'd regard that as a whole scientific level less developed. :old:
As if you were missing a crucial tech to commit a task... :D

Chamnix said:
Once you permit giving directions, you might as well permit giving maps. For example, once you can say:

Those are pretty detailed directions, akin to a verbal map. ;) I was thinking directions are more of "go NE until you hit water, and then N", or something like that.

Ginger_Ale said:
Those are pretty detailed directions, akin to a verbal map. ;) I was thinking directions are more of "go NE until you hit water, and then N", or something like that.

Indeed, and yet that quote was copied almost verbatim from something that was apparently legal before Navigation last game. It becomes very difficult to define a "verbal map" compared to just general directions.

Paul#42 said:
At least it bears much more chances for misunderstandings, is much less convenient and does not support the human imagination too much...

Therefor I'd regard that as a whole scientific level less developed.
As if you were missing a crucial tech to commit a task...

So things should be inconvenient and tedious although you get the same result? Maybe CivAssistII should only be permitted after the discovery of Mathematics :hmm:.

I think that Map Trading should only be enabled later on in the game since that is when most of the map making was really made. Perhaps we could change the tech Map Making to Ship Building and have map trades put in Astronomy since Navigation is not a required tech and thus it is useless to most of us.

Chamnix said:
So things should be inconvenient and tedious although you get the same result? Maybe CivAssistII should only be permitted after the discovery of Mathematics :hmm:.
Good call! :lol:

Actually the whole game should start after the development of computers... :crazyeye:

Yes and we will only start playing the game through an internet forum once a team has built the internet wonder. So post your postal addresses below.

:rotfl: And some say Germans don't have a sense of humor. I beg to differ :old:
Even more say I don't have a sense for seriousness... :mischief: :D
This forum however is a good place to learn about other cultures and people and to change one's 100 year old prejudice :old:

Germany has no Kaiser and no Fuehrer, we have fun and like children (well some of us), animals and environment. And we don't like to go to war. :)

It's not different and that's my point. I see no reason why we can't trade screenshots from the git go. This is a game between people and I don't like artificial constraints on what I can talk about when playing the game. Takes alot of the fun away if I have to always worry about what I can and can't say. Look at it this way, aren't we allowed ot discuss back and forth what techs we have and use that to try to figure out what techs a third team has? Why can't we do the same with maps and units we see?

As far as inside the Civ III game isn't trading maps important as far as sea routes between harbors for trading?

EDIT: Verbal directions and screenshots are subject not only to misunderstandings but subterfuge and therefore add an interesting element to the game. :satan:

Top Bottom