1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Cut The Enemy's Legs

Discussion in 'Civ3 Strategy Articles' started by Sashie VII, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Sashie VII

Sashie VII Balance of Power

I've tested this only on Emperor and Monarch, so don't ask me about DG or Deity ;)

Are you the player who doesn't like to conquer more land after a certain point, but likes to hurt the AI nonetheless? :evil:

Are you the player who loves to be ages ahead in tech, without leaving each and every AI as OCC? :lol:

Do you enjoy technological and military superiority without actually growing too big that AI's no longer pose any threat? :crazyeye:

Then this is for you!

Feel free to rip me and the thread apart :D

EDIT: Please note that this strategy is by no means intended to be *the best* option, or that it is foolproof. It's purpose is to add variety and dimension to one's gameplay, and FUN. :)

2. Aceman101

Aceman101 Chieftain

Very good strategy Sashie. However Instead of 3-4 dozen I use about 70 artillery and about 30-40 bombers. Since you don't intend to kill units, bombers might be innapropriate though. That's all ;).

3. gmaharriet

gmaharriet Ancient Crone

Um, I sure hope you aren't shooting for a diplo victory. :p

4. eldar

eldar ChiefTank

You have to be very careful with WW using this strategy. Dozens of units slowly picking their way around an AI's territory is going to get people crazy, quickly.

5. Sashie VII

War weariness is an issue, as eldar pointed out. Thank you :)

That is the reason to use as many artilleries as possible; do your damage as quickly as possible then get out. Since I play mostly continents, I tend to use lots of ships to ferry them around so I guess that should be considered too.

As for diplomatic victory, of course not :p Since you'll slow the AIs down, you'll get to build UN yourself :lol:

6. Aceman101

Aceman101 Chieftain

^ Simple answer Switch to MONARCHY and become a king that rules everyone, controll your army around the world happily without WW affecting your tactical decisions. Rule your civ with mighty power and make a revolution to MONARCHY!!!

Who needs Republic? :p

7. Sashie VII

Actually, I've only tried this with Republic and the WW has never got out of hand.

:p

8. Aceman101

Aceman101 Chieftain

Well in Monarchy you have 0 WW. 0% unhappy citizens from WW. 0% riots from WW. 0% loss of productivety from WW. Larger army, no war weariness.

I am a warmonger and Monarchy is the best IMVVHO :D.

9. Sashie VII

I'm more of a builder than warmonger btw.

However, the use of this strategy is actually to slow everyone down while you yourself run ahead and take the lead/magnify it. In Monarchy, you get slower than you would in Republic.

Please note that this strategy is by no means intended to be *the best* option, or that it is foolproof. It's purpose is to add variety and dimension to one's gameplay, and FUN. :)

10. Aceman101

Aceman101 Chieftain

Umm, your a builder??? :confused:.

11. Sashie VII

:lol:

Yes indeed I am.

If I warmonger that much,imagine how much I like to build ;)

And I'd post scoutsout's as well, but I'm too lazy to find it :p

12. Aceman101

Aceman101 Chieftain

So you like to build and conquer? It seems like that anyway.

btw your actually so lazy you don't want to look for an article on the computer? Just when I think i'm lazy.

j/k :p.

13. Sashie VII

In my defense, I'm revising for final exams. But anyway;

I love civ-warfare, and I like to wage war on the AIs. However once my continent is mine, I don't have that drive to really conquer anything anymore. Although I still like to fight.

I build a lot. In fact, I conquer my continent to build! Since I get all the lux on my continent, my citizens are happy and I can save money on lux tax. Since I've no one to fight or really threaten me (IOW can get to me via land), I can focus on building. I go for space nowadays only to see how far I can push my empire's power with all those fancy buildings in the Modern Age, and that was what lead to this strategy.

14. Ringo Kid

Ringo Kid Chieftain

Do you attack the strongest AI civ, or the closest, or which? How do you decide? Do you wait for artillery,or start earlier with cats-cannons and such?

15. Sashie VII

The one with coastal lux, so that I can have a beachhead and gain a resource. I usually pick the strongest first to slow them down, and then move to whoever's closest.

I begin mass building cannons, and then upgrade them to artillery. I find that artillery, having bombardment range of two tiles away, is more effective. Cats and cannons need to move around more in enemy territory, increasing war weariness. Furthermore, I'm usually still warring on my home continent during the Ancient to mid-Middle Ages. After that I consolidate, and by the end of the Middle Ages/Early Industrial my empire should be ready to take on the world with this strat. :)

16. psweetman1590

psweetman1590 Chieftain

Just a thought.... If the AI has bombers, you might be in trouble. Armies are bomber magnets, and they'll eventually be killed. It would help to bring along a group of four flak or SAM to shoot down planes, but this is only a partial solution, as they will not stop all, or even most of the planes. To compound this, your army has to keep moving and so cannot heal.

Other than that, yup, this works. Perfect way to bring a civ from hero to zero status in a matter of two score turns. :D

17. Aceman101

Aceman101 Chieftain

I know the solution to that problem... :p

With the 30-40 bombers I bring I bring about 10-15 fighters for air superiority. They're pretty good for intercepting. And as you said, bring a few SAM's. Nothing better than seeing AI planes falling out of the sky. :D

18. Sashie VII

Urm, part of the timing for this strat is to stop the AIs from getting planes...ever :evil:

19. Aceman101

Aceman101 Chieftain

No AI planes. Which probably means no new industrial age units. I'l grant the AI's planes and new units, so long as I am still in charge of the world. :D

20. Ringo Kid

Ringo Kid Chieftain

By that point in the game, you could switch to commie to lose the war weariness,and lessen overall corruption. Science rate would still be much stronger than the cratered and improvement starved AI. Would that be a good idea?