[Cutscene] Found Religion (Generic)

Refar

Deity
A gimmick, i made, to be able to give newly added religions different movies (at least somewhat). Other than Wonders the found religion movies are animated nif's - similar to LH, but much simpler - so it is possible to edit those.

I made this one similar to original movies but it contains no religion-specific props and is somewhat customizable, to make re-using it for different religions more feasible.

Database Link

Updated 10.5.08 - v1.1 - Fixed fliped UVW map on the paper; Doublechecked Alpha settings.

The big peace of paper on the desk has it's own texture - simple planar map, for easy repainting/replacement. It is intended to hold a picture/symbols/writing to signify the founded religion - similar to the shrine picture maybe. There are two clean texture backgrounds for the paper in the archive (one new and one somewhat wornout)- the _EMPTY_* files.
Just paste a new picture into one of those, and save it as Paper_Diffuse.dds - Take care not to mess up the Alpha chanel in the worn out version, when editing
The props (books, pencil ant they shadows) are separate meshes, so they can be easily moved or deleted via nif-viewer.

Very nice, Refar.

Awesome. This is exactly what I've been looking for. Thanks a bunch!

Ok, so I've been editing this for various religions, as per your instructions, but I have made the discovery that DXTBmp doesn't work for this purpose (something about how it saves DDS files isn't compatible with the movie or something). Can you recommend a DDS editor that will work?

Awesome. This is exactly what I've been looking for. Thanks a bunch!

me too!!!

Awsome work, now i need to find some cool pics for ideologies in ww2 1939 :)

Ok, so I've been editing this for various religions, as per your instructions, but I have made the discovery that DXTBmp doesn't work for this purpose (something about how it saves DDS files isn't compatible with the movie or something). Can you recommend a DDS editor that will work?

GIMP with dds plug-ins works for me. but i usually copy and paste it into PSP9.0 do my editing there and then paste it back into the original file and save the dds.

I look forward to your new religion graphics!

Here is a movie I had done a while back. I had started to use it with Zoroastrianism, but then had something better. Anyway maybe it would be of use here as well. I thought later to use it as a movie for aka pagan religions, but but probably will not need them now for pagan movies now because the civs start with the religions already.

This is just a screenshot from NIFSkope, but the same deal as above with the DDS but smaller area. I was using only Firaxis stuff so probably should be redone. The fire is animated and has the smoke effect.

Oh and with the DDS files. I always save them as DXT5 ARGB 8 bpp | interpolated alpha. I can not find the thread now, but someone had this same issue when saving for a main menu dds file before.

I don't use DXTBMP myself (Still have my old Photoshop 6). But there is no reason why a specific software will not work. Just make sure you actually do have the Alpha chanel when saving.
(I think DXTBMP will split the Alpha chanel and save it in a separate file - BMP can not have one, so you need to attach it back again, when resaving as DDS)

I use DXT3 / Explicit Alpha for textures. It's a bit smaller file than DXT5 which will work as well.

Here is a movie I had done a while back. I had started to use it with Zoroastrianism, but then had something better.

And you was holding it back all the time ! :run::whipped:

;)

Looks nice - the more different cutscenes, the better. Did you moved the Fire/Smocke effect form a Leaderhead in NifScope ?

I don't use DXTBMP myself (Still have my old Photoshop 6). But there is no reason why a specific software will not work. Just make sure you actually do have the Alpha chanel when saving.
(I think DXTBMP will split the Alpha chanel and save it in a separate file - BMP can not have one, so you need to attach it back again, when resaving as DDS)
I'm not completely sure that's the problem, it seems to manage Alpha channels with other files (like buttons). But there is something different about how it saves. I've attached two files, one is saved in DXTBmp and the other is converted with a different DDS converter I have (but one that doesn't use alpha channels, so I can't use it for the old style paper). The former does not open in the DDS viewer I use (WTV) and also doesn't work in game.

Attachments

• Paper_Diffuse.zip
    259.7 KB · Views: 94
Just a silly question - do my original files work in your game ?

Just a silly question - do my original files work in your game ?
Oh yes. When I first discovered that the files I had changed weren't working, the first thing I did was test an unchanged religion. It works exactly like the screenshot in your OP.

It does not work indeed... the the file looks ok to me. No idea what exactly is wrong, but here's how i just fixed it:

I took your file, loaded it in Dxtbmp. Reattached the Alpha channel from a separate image. Then saved it as dds again (DXT3). It seems to work...

Here's a exported Alpha chanel for the Old Paper version - you will need to import it into the alpha chanel in dxtbmp....

BTW - i see from your texture, that i managed to Flip the UVW map, so you had to mirrot your text. Nuts. Sorry about this. :wallbash:

I think I did everything as you said, opened the file and reattached the alpha channel from the file you posted, but it still doesn't work. It just shows a blank founding screen.

Attachments

• blankfoundingscreen.JPG
    blankfoundingscreen.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 152
Uh... i dont know - either your version of DXTbmp is different than my (brocken ?) - i have 4.00.84 - or you are exporting it with a wrong format/compression... You need to choose DXT3 from the dropdown box.

Right now i am heading to sleep, but if you can't figure it out, make the picture ready without alpha and upload it - i will reattach the Alpha chanel tomorrow.

I don't know what to tell you. I'm doing it exactly like that, my version is 4.00.94 (I originally thought that somehow the functionality was removed in the later version, but when I downloaded 4.00.84 it was no different).

Top Bottom