1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

CV seems to tedious to compete

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by Blicero, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Blicero

Blicero Chieftain

Hey guys

Just posting my thoughts on the CV after "exploring" it with a OCC as India. Now I may have been handicapped because I was trying to unlock the OCC achievement, so purposefully could not invade others cities, but after it all I find that the CV mechanic is 1) too tedious, 2) too difficult in some cases, and 3) too late in the game given all the work required.

By tedious I mean you have to line up 3-4 things in the perfect order at right about the same time or else you're screwed.

By too difficult, I mean some runaway civs just have so much culture built up it would take you to T400 to overcome them.

And by so late in the game, I mean that you could have DV, DV, or SV two times over by the time you actually get to your final rock concert.

Now don't get me wrong, I love the idea behind it, as what they were trying to do was open up the last third of the tech tree. However, that last third is sometimes never really penetrated before the game is over, or it goes lightning fast (i.e. 6 GS popped in a row) and you don't have time or need to build any of the buildings or wonders (eg Sydney Opera House, CN Tower).

Also my feeling is the techs around CV are poorly structured. Thinking of a couple of real life CVs (rightly or wrongly, this ain't a debate)... What did it for the US? Well 5 things come to mind: jazz music, Broadway, Hollywood, rock'n'roll, and television. What did it for Italy? Architecture, art, cuisine, Roman ruins. Both instances were light years ahead of the Internet (in Civ years), and also if you ask me the Internet kind of kills culture, certainly doesn't enhance it.

Anyway, wondering what others think about it. For now I prefer good old fashioned :deadhorse:.

2. glory7

glory7 Chieftain

well, if you don't play OCC, then none of 1,2,3 holds...

3. DaveMcW

DaveMcW Chieftain

You would be even more frustrated if you tried to do Domination in an OCC. :p

4. joshua43214

joshua43214 Chieftain

Domination in OCC is a ton of fun. Even caps get insta-razed so you never have to worry about them getting retaken :)

5. Blicero

Blicero Chieftain

Why? And your sacred sites plan does not apply. ;)

6. Blicero

Blicero Chieftain

EDIT: Sorry - re-reading my OP I don't think I was clear. I have won several CVs, so this instance was not my first. I simply went on an exploratory mission to discover / fine-tune the best strategy for it. So I rolled on Warlord difficulty and just so happened to also make it a OCC for the achievement. Despite the OCC, I was able to get pretty much any wonder I wanted. Because of that I wasn't wont for GW slots. I may have had 1 or 2 GP that I could not use, but the writer allowed another SP and the artist was burnt on a GA, so it's not like I was missing out on more base tourism from being limited to one city. Also my point on the Internet is mis-stated. I get that it boosts tourism and tourism is the mechanic used to measure the success of the culture. But this is where the finishing strategy starts - i.e. get the Internet, get World Religion, win International Games, and then pop your GM (and all of these things seem to be required, unless maybe you're Brazil). My impression is that you can do it without some or all of these things, but that involves squashing people, and if you're squashing people, you might as well just completely squash them.

I am just arguing that this all happens very, very late game, by which time all the other VCs are possible (and most likely quicker). It just seems a bit like Indonesia for me. i.e. Interesting but don't see me rolling that way again.

7. duende29

duende29 Loud Brat

Tedious is knowing you already won DV but you still gotta take the other half of the world, including the single tile island cities the AI loves to spam.

8. adwcta

adwcta Chieftain

Culture victory is harder and slower than science victories if you're playing 100% peaceful.

But, if you're going to be able to assemble a strike team to take out a civ or two in the mid-late game.... Culture victory becomes faster than all the other victory types.

OCC everything is frustratingly slow and awful except for diplo. Diplo is still awful, but not for tedium, just for that feeling of cheapness.

9. Calouste

Calouste Chieftain

Or if you want to play a 100% peaceful culture victory, you pay some of the neighborhood bullies (hi Shaka!) to do the dirty work for you.