1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

cyclic redundancy check?????

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Bug Reports' started by cecirdr, Oct 29, 2005.

1. cecirdr

cecirdr Chieftain

I can't even get the game installed. I have a laptop that well exceeds the specs, but the install fails every time at about 99% complete. DirectX installs fine, so does disc 1 and disc 2 chugs along fine until....it just stops spinning. I get an error dialog box (after a really long wait) that says "Feature Transfer Error", "data error (cyclic redundancy check)" The point it stops at is installing:

c:\..\Assets\sounds\soundtrack\Renaissance\MozartRomance.mp3

I just bought my game at the local walmart. Is there a way around this install error? Will walmart accept a return? I can't belive this...the install was almost done! Thre are no scratches on the disc, nor any dirt/smear to clean off FWIW.

Sigh...

2. k5aphrael

k5aphrael Chieftain

I had a similar issue with a copy I got from BestBuy on Thursday. I'm reasonably convinced that it was a bad disc:

(a) "cyclic redundancy check" represents an error in verifying the integrity of data after a transfer. (There's a technical explanation at wikipedia that goes above my head, and i'm a computer programmer. :)) This usually means either (1) the data on the cd is corrupt; (2) the data on the cd is unreadable due to physical damage to the cd; (3) the cd drive can't read it because of some issue (dirty lens, etc).
    (b) in my case, I eliminated option #3 by trying in other drives with the same result.
    (c) there are tools you can get (do a google search, unquoted, on data error cyclic redundancy check) which allow you to check the integrity of cds. I downloaded one of these and it verified that the data on the cd was invalid.
    (d) i tried copying data3.cab off of my cd, to see what would happen; the copy failed with the same error.
    (e) i tried a friend's cd in my machine; it worked.

Given the frequency of this error, I'm convinced there is a burner in the manufacturing facility which is generating cds with corrupt data. Your best bet is to take the thing back to the store and exchange it for a different CD.

3. diffusionx

diffusionx Chieftain

this problem happened to me on two seperate games (Rome Total War and Half-Life 2). At first I thought it was the disc, and all the FAQs out there for each game said as much, but it wasnt the disc - it was the drive. My drive was very old and I think it couldnt handle the copy protection. I bought a new DVD-RW drive and both worked fine.

4. Greek Plunder

Greek Plunder Civvidy-doo.

If you have anything like Alcohol 120%, Daemon Tools, etc, uninstall them. Any virtual drives, uninstall them.

5. oldStatesman

oldStatesman Cybernaut

CRC failure is a copy error. It can be caused by

1) A defective CD
    2) A scratched and/or dirty CD
    3) A dirty CD Rom Drive
    4) A CD ROM drive that is not up to spec
    5) A faulty hard disk
    6) Faulty/loose Cables connecting said drive to Mainboard

Best way to check is to make sure the CD and drive are both clean. If possible, borrow a friends copy and see if you have errors. If not, it's your CD. If so, it may be the CD Drive. You can try your copy in another CD drive - (on another computer or replace the one on yours). If it works, then the original Drive had issues. You can keep trouble shooting this way until you identify the bad component...(note: rarely is it the hard drive. Most common is simply a dirty CD or CD Rom drive.) ( On Edit: Important to check the Label side of the CD for errors too - hold it up to a bright light and see if the Label is defective from both sides- you may not see any scratches on the data side, but if the 'mirror' on the inside of the label is flawed the CD may not be read properly.)

6. Snooters

Snooters Chieftain

clean the disc and try on another computer. if it doesn't work, exchange the game. i've had this happen a couple of times over the years and it was never my cdrom drive. every now and then you get those bad discs.

7. AsnoT

AsnoT Mostly Civilized

cute, but that's NOT the cause of that error, the game runs fine here on a computer with both daemon and alcohol virtual drives. that only causes a problem if you actually INSTALL the game from those drives - and we wouldn't do that would we?

8. smtv

smtv Chieftain

Got the same error on 4 different machines. Have to assume it's a faulty batch (Australia) Have returned disk and awaiting response.

9. AsnoT

AsnoT Mostly Civilized

if you got it on different machines, it can confidently be assumed it was a faulty disk ;)