1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Cypress Lake High School: "Just Trust Us, suspending kid who stops shooting good idea

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by GhostWriter16, Mar 6, 2013.

1. GhostWriter16

GhostWriter16 Deity

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/51069734

OK the grammar was awkward in that title because I wanted to make sure I could fit it. But yeah, this was my former hometown, so I am kind of sad that something this stupid happened somewhere where I live. This kid who stopped this would be shooter is much more of a hero than anyone our country would normally call a hero. He should be getting praise. He gets three days off of school, which is supposed to be a punishment.

Ugh Ft. Myers:rolleyes: Ugh Cypress Lake:rolleyes: How much dumber can anyone get? Yet another reason I support abolition of government indoctrination centers public schools. Any administrator/teacher who participated in the support of this decision deserves to be immediately fired.

Unless they're "Trust us" is fair, to which I say "Yeah right." Freaking tell us why a hero is being suspended.

Idiots.

Discuss...

2. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

You weren't home-schooled at all, were you? :rolleyes:

3. IdiotsOpposite

IdiotsOpposite Boom, headshot.

I always saw Out-of-School suspension as the kind of reward you give when you can't publicly give a reward. Happened to me when I was in 8th grade and broke a kid's nose when he tried to pick a fight with me. The principal was understanding and told me that while he'd like to let me off, he couldn't do that, so he'd give me an out-of-school suspension for three days. Told me to enjoy it.

Father agreed with the guy, actually.

4. Kozmos

Kozmos Jew Detective

So you know everything because you were there?

5. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

OSS was always better than ISS, by a mile.

No silly, he knows everything because he didn't go to an indoctrination station.

6. GhostWriter16

GhostWriter16 Deity

I was. But my parents don't support the abolition of public schools as far as I know.

Hmmm... That's an interesting alternative possibility that I didn't consider. While I don't really think OSS is much of a real punishment, I also know that its supposed to be, and it could be depending on who your parents are (Although I think most parents would agree that the kid who disarmed a possible killer did a good thing and would not punish them for that.)

7. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

You don't have to know if they support abolishing schools, they've brainwashed you into supporting abolishing schools which is more than adequate for their purposes.

8. GhostWriter16

GhostWriter16 Deity

Was actually near there a week ago, but no, I wasn't. Why would I care? They (Administrators of Cypress Lake) are government officials (Trained liars) and are saying something that really, really sounds like a lie on top of it. If they really had a good reason for this obviously sounding like nonsense action, they would have been willing to say why. Maybe they would have withheld the names, but they would certainly have said what the kid in question did wrong.

I honestly just think some people in the government want another Sandy Hook so gun control will get more public support. That's the only logical explanation I can think of for this. While I can sympathize with the "Secret reward" idea, I don't see why it had to be secret, seeing as how what he did isn't wrong even on paper.

Considering I probably disagree with my parents on about half of political issues and have a similar, but more radical, position on the other half, to say I was brainwashed into my views is kind of absurd.

9. Arakhor

Logical?? You don't need to torpedo your own arguments in the very same post. At least have the decency to wait for someone else to show up first.

10. GhostWriter16

GhostWriter16 Deity

Huh??

11. Arakhor

You refer to government officials as being code for trained liars, spout off a wild conspiracy theory and then have the temerity to claim that that's the only logical explanation. You really don't need someone to debunk that, do you?

12. GhostWriter16

GhostWriter16 Deity

I honestly can't imagine any other reason, other than lack of brain, why Cypress Lake officials will do something like this. There are a lot of viewpoints that I strongly disagree with but nonetheless can understand the reasoning, but suspending a kid for saving lives is not one of those positions.

13. downtown

downtown Crafternoon Delight

I don't see any problem with this at all. All of the subjects are minors and a school administration does not have to justify their internal discipline to the general public. If the suspended students feel they are wronged, they are entitled to an independent appeal of a suspension. This isn't a court of law though, and the same standards do not apply.

I can think of lots of different situations where it would be best to not leak the specific details of the suspension, most of which would be related to the idea of keeping the story out of the press as much as possible to prohibit escalation or retaliation. The idea that the administration secretly wanted more students to GET SHOT so they could pass a particular policy is beyond stupid.

14. GhostWriter16

GhostWriter16 Deity

Governments have done far worse to get things that they want, but I would normally feel like somnething as local as a school board would not be corrupt enough to play that fast and loose with human lives.

I'm curious what your theories are as to what legitimate reasons you can imagine for this suspencion. I really don't see how this could NOT be bull...

15. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

How can we possibly comment on this when there isn't any information for us to base our opinions on?

16. GhostWriter16

GhostWriter16 Deity

The fact that Cypress Lake didn't give us any is telling.

17. downtown

downtown Crafternoon Delight

Of course, the administrators who were previously teachers, dedicated to the education of small children, will gladly sacrifice the lives of those small children to pass gun control...which only benefits that administrator if the govt then steamrolls over the unarmed public to create a dictatorship, where suburban school administration officials will be elevated to glorious state positions. That makes total sense.

Do you have any idea how stupid that sounds?

You can't see any other reasons because you're an overly ideological and melodramatic teenager who has never been involved with any kind of traditional school.

Just based on the news story that you shared, there is a TON of information that we do not know about the event. We don't know why the student brought a gun. We don't know the school's particular discipline policy on fighting. We don't know the backstories behind any of the individual students who were involved. We don't know if gang affiliations or larger fights are in play. If say, one of the students who wrestled for the gun had a previous record of school violence, the district may *have* to suspend him, even though things worked the situation worked out "okay" in this particular instance.

The point is, there is a ton of information that we don't know, and that we SHOULDN'T know, because the students are minors, and it isn't the public's business. The school has a responsibility to be open and transparent with the public about how a kid managed to get a gun on a bus, or why the school bus tape didn't work, or why the bus driver didn't do anything to stop it, but their own internal discipline mechanisms are not supposed to be public (by design), because that would involve leaking personal academic, discipline, even medical data.

It is not uncommon for schools to suspend or discipline students for breaking up fights to protect themselves from potential legal liability.

18. Arakhor

Have they repealed the Fifth Amendment already? I thought that silence couldn't be used against you in a court of law.

19. kulade

kulade Deity

It's interesting that the OP wants us to jump from a lack of public information to an assumed conspiracy. I guess people see the patterns they want to in the dark.

20. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

Have you considered moving to Somalia?

They've abolished public schools there.