Cyrus the Great leads Persia in this Mod of Civilization VI

Cyrus the Great leads Persia in this Mod of Civilization VI 1.4

DreadHerring

Chieftain
DreadHerring submitted a new resource:

Cyrus the Great leads Persia in this Mod of Civilization VI - This mod adds Persia as a playable civ

screenshot.37.jpg

The First Persian Empire

Leader / Cyrus the Great

Civilization Trait / Gate of All Nations
Each Envoy sent to a city-state counts as two, if its Suzerain has a different government than Persia.

Leader Trait / The Cyrus Charter
+2% Gold per City-State you are the Suzerain of.

Unique unit / Immortal
Persian unique Ancient Era Unit that replaces the Spearman. It is cheaper to build and heals at the end of its turn, even after moving or attacking.

Unique District / Apadana
A district unique to Persia for Housing and Economic Growth. Replaces the Commercial Hub District. It provides housing as though it were an Aqueduct, and yields +1 Culture in internal trade routes. It must be built adjacent to a city-center.
---
This is the first edition of the Persian civilization. This civilization is fully playable!
Persia was an incredible civilization that used taxes, irrigation, wages, art, and war to create a stable multicultural empire.
As a CIV, Persia manipulates the rivalry of governments to free them from the tyranny of their neighbors.
There's something in it for you too. City-State allies are powerful, especially when Cyrus is skimming a little off the top.

I'll be updating this once we get the SDK, and I'll be looking to add alternate leaders in the near future.
---
Installation Instructions
Unzip the files into your Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Mods directory
In order for Art to work correctly, Unzip the contents of "DreadHerring's Icons" into

Program Files(x86)/Steam/Steamapps/Common/Sid Meier's CIVILIZATION VI/Base/Assets/UI/Icons
This will replace the current files to accommodate my icons, so backing up your files is always recommended.
The most current version of all my mods contain the same collection of icons and artdefs. A copy from any mod will suffice for the others.
This is a workaround for a lack of an SDK, and a copy of the files without my modifications is supplied should the original files be desired.
---
Credits
Mod formatting thanks to @Rob (R8XFT)
Civ Loadout Screenshot thanks to @sukritact and his CIV Selection Screen
Thanks to @mbl for pointing me towards the icon fix.
---

Known Issues:

Apadana District appears as a tiny house and a largely empty field.
Immortal appears as a warrior unit (all modded uniques do, by default.

Last edited:
That looks pretty cool, but I'm not sure if it's not a bit OP. Anyways, I'll for sure have fun with it!

That looks pretty cool, but I'm not sure if it's not a bit OP. Anyways, I'll for sure have fun with it!
Thanks, I hope you enjoy it!
Out of curiosity, which part sticks out to you as a bit op? I always try to avoid that in my work, so please let me know if your suspicions prove true.

Thanks, I hope you enjoy it!
Out of curiosity, which part sticks out to you as a bit op? I always try to avoid that in my work, so please let me know if your suspicions prove true.

I think that Apadana's culture might be too much. It's balanced though, as I misread it that for some weird reason UA gives you +2% Gold per Envoy, not Vassal. Good job! Sorry for misunderstanding!

No need for an apology! You might be completely right about the excess of the Apadana's culture. I'd happily trade the commercial hub's natural production for it, which could be a better trade. With the likely passive culture from city-states it might not be a good idea to have another source of passive yield. Playtesting ahoy, right? Thanks!

Immortal does not have a consistent icon/flag.

there is a fast fix for this in unit icon files in the icons folder (Base\Assets\UI\Icons) add the same index as the unit you are replacing.
in this case spearman with immortal name.
ex:
<Row Name="ICON_UNIT_PERSIAN_IMMORTAL" Atlas="ICON_ATLAS_UNITS" Index="30"/>

same goes with Portraits and Flags ...

Attachments

• imm.png
    imm.png
    487.3 KB · Views: 582
This MOD is compatible with YAEM ?
I have never tried YAEM, but I don't think their codes will interfere with one another. Does it require special map placement coding in order to be compatible?

@mbl I've gone ahead and made the changes in my files. Thanks for the fix! A modified file will be included with minor text changes in the next update.

DreadHerring updated Cyrus the Great leads Persia in this Mod of Civilization VI with a new update entry:

Icon and Text Fixes.

This update includes icons for everything. Fixed up the language here and there for clarity and grammar.

New installation instructions on how to update your files to use my icons.

Persia's Civ Icon is that of the city-state Jakarta
The Immortal's Icon is that of the Polish Hussar
The Apadana's Icon is that of the Commercial Hub
Cyrus' Icon is that of Gilgamesh
---
Installation Instructions

Read the rest of this update entry...

This is very cool, New Civ mods already thats great...I really like the Unique District however I don't quite understand why 2% gold bonus for every city-state you are suzerain of. That's the only part that kind of repels me of trying out this civ, it feels a bit flavorless. I get that persia was an economic monster on its era by sort-of buying off / conquering smaller nations but It feels a bit too simple to me. Anyone?

This is very cool, New Civ mods already thats great... however I don't quite understand why 2% gold bonus for every city-state you are suzerain of. That's the only part that kind of repels me of trying out this civ, it feels a bit flavorless. I get that persia was an economic monster on its era by sort-of buying off / conquering smaller nations but It feels a bit too simple to me. Anyone?

I can understand that recieving gold is a little passive. It'd be nice to upgrade to something a little more interactive, though going for levying militaries is also a little one note and Gilgamesh has it.

Keep in mind it's not a bonus you always have. Persia's abilities have a lot to do with tracking your and your opponents choices. Persia was more than an economic powerhouse, Cyrus invented the idea of taxes as a positive, peaceful operation. Up until that point, taxes were just a way of bullying small states into paying for protection. Persia's taxes and wage system paved the way for their multicultural society, and their art reflected that combination of disparate styles.

There's flavor there, it may just not be as flashy as say Xerxes, who could be able to build the unique improvements of any civ. I do hope you try out Cyrus, as feedback is always appreciated.

Last edited:
I can understand that recieving gold is a little passive. It'd be nice to upgrade to something a little more interactive, though going for levying militaries is also a little one note and Gilgamesh has it.

Keep in mind it's not a bonus you always have. Persia's abilities have a lot to do with tracking your and your opponents choices. Persia was more than an economic powerhouse, Cyrus invented the idea of taxes as a positive, peaceful operation. Up until that point, taxes were just a way of bullying small states into paying for protection. Persia's taxes and wage system paved the way for their multicultural society, and their art reflected that combination of disparate styles.

There's flavor there, it may just not be as flashy as say Xerxes, who could be able to build the unique improvements of any civ. I do hope you try out Cyrus, as feedback is always appreciated.
Alright Ill give it a shot since you ask, and Ill give you some feedback. I know its a bit blunt to just say that Im not a fan of the Leader Ability but its just how it strikes to me at first glance, Im sure it fits pretty well with what Persia stans for as a civilization but for a game it just feels a little uninteresting, it doesn't feel like it changes the play style that much. Anyhow I will give it a shot and see if i get a feel for it.

I'm going to apologise in advance for the nitpicking.
I'm working on using your mod in YnAEMP by putting in a True Starting Location for your civ and then noticed that you have the capital set as Persepolis when I tried it out in game.
While I was researching (read: using Wikipedia and google) the correct spot to put Cyrus's capital I however found either:

Anshan: Capital of the Persians from the 7th century BC up to and including Cyrus's rise to power.
Ecbtana, capital of the Median Empire which Cyrus took over from his grand-father Astyages of which the Persians were a vassal until then.
Pasargadae: Capital of the Persians after Cyrus ordered it's construction but died before it was finished, his tomb was build here. Persepolis was build by Darius I as a continuation of the work Cyrus did here but if you would have asked Cyrus about Persepolis he wouldn't have known what you were talking about, the locations are around 40-80 kilometers away from each other.

I wouldn't suggest Ecbtana as a capital but both of the others would work brilliantly, with Pasargadae being the centre of power until Persepolis was built and still remaining important for later rulers in ceremonial aspects.

I hope this doesn't annoy you, I just wanted to weigh in what I just learned when I got drowned in some new (for me) history :)

I'm going to apologise in advance for the nitpicking.
I'm working on using your mod in YnAEMP by putting in a True Starting Location for your civ and then noticed that you have the capital set as Persepolis when I tried it out in game.
While I was researching (read: using Wikipedia and google) the correct spot to put Cyrus's capital I however found either:

Anshan: Capital of the Persians from the 7th century BC up to and including Cyrus's rise to power.
Ecbtana, capital of the Median Empire which Cyrus took over from his grand-father Astyages of which the Persians were a vassal until then.
Pasargadae: Capital of the Persians after Cyrus ordered it's construction but died before it was finished, his tomb was build here. Persepolis was build by Darius I as a continuation of the work Cyrus did here but if you would have asked Cyrus about Persepolis he wouldn't have known what you were talking about, the locations are around 40-80 kilometers away from each other.

I wouldn't suggest Ecbtana as a capital but both of the others would work brilliantly, with Pasargadae being the centre of power until Persepolis was built and still remaining important for later rulers in ceremonial aspects.

I hope this doesn't annoy you, I just wanted to weigh in what I just learned when I got drowned in some new (for me) history :)

Great! Yeah I was so focused on making the rest of it I sort of blanked on which city to make the proper capital. It doesn't help that I was working on Darius for a hot second too.
I think Pasargadae may be more recognizable for most folks, but I have a soft spot for Anshan. Thanks for catching that! I too tried to get a TSL working and couldn't so if you could show me how it works I would absolutely include it in an update with credit where credit is due. I'm glad you tried it out!

Top Bottom