D+3 Classic SG: The Future Roman Superpower

TheViking

The world is not enough
At last! This is the succession game I promised when the previous succession game ended. This was roughly three months ago but I've been too busy until now. The game requires Civilization Classic.

I considered making this a D+4 game but since I also made some manual modifications to the map I decided not to try D+4 for now since I'm uncertain how strongly these modifications are going to affect us over the course of the game. D+4 can be tried next time ;). The modifications are meant to make the game more challenging - how much more challenging I do not know (the difference may be negligible).

In summary: We play as the Romans at deity+3, barbarian wrath and same rules as last time (if anyone wants different rules feel free to make suggestions). The special rules in effect in this game:

* Must finish with spotless reputation
* No bribes. Exception: Barbarian units (not cities) can be bribed.
* Caravan/freight rehoming not allowed

Since I have some knowledge of the map I will not start the game, I will play last. I will try not to use my knowledge of the map to our advantage when it is my turn, in fact I might be inclined to use it to our disadvantage ;). However, I hope to be able to forget as much as possible, in particular the starting locations of our enemies.

Based on experience from the previous game we may have to reduce the number of turns per player much earlier than we did last time.

The following players expressed interest in a new SG when the previous one ended:

Tim
Sharkbait
Old n Slow
Kev
Duke
TheViking
starlifter

This is also the playing order.

(There might be more, I was too lazy to read the entire thread). There's probably room for more players. Everyone please confirm that you are still interested (those who have confirmed are listed in bold).

I will post the game once we have a list of players.

Duke of Marlbrough said:
Can we be sure to put any special rules in the first post so we don't have issues with them being missed.
I have now added the special rules into the first post. If there are any rules we had in the previous games that I forgot about let me know.

I'm posting the game now - there are only four players at the moment but despite this we can start the game now and then add more players.

There is room for at least two more players, in fact we really need more players! If anyone is interested post in the thread or send me a private message.

The playing order is in the first post of the thread. Tim starts. I suggest we start with 15 turns per player for the first 'round'.

Attachments

• CA_4000.SAV
    145.6 KB · Views: 278
Ok We're back! -- and Starlifter can clean up any of the Barb messes that I spring! :lol:

Great! Playing order modified - I should note that this is reverse alphabetical order with the exception that I play last for reasons already noted (some knowledge of the map).

There's still room for more players. I have attempted to contact Andu, Kev and starlifter but haven't received a reply yet.

OK, I've got the file at home, but haven't even opened it yet. I've suddenly been swamped with RL.

I haven't been first in one of these before...any words of wisdom for the first few turns before I start?

Well, I had a little time this morning and started playing, but still have a few turns to go. Just wanted y'all to know I was making progress.

Remus and Romulus Do Italy

"So tell me again," Remus asked, "why is mom so much hairier than we are?"

"Uhh... She's a wolf, dumbass." Romulus hated his twin brother

"We're not wolves?"

"No!" an exasperated Romulus responded. "For the last time, we're not wolves. We're people. Humans. Mom's not our real mom. She just raised us."

"So who's our real mom?"

"According to the shepherd I talked to, our mother was the daughter of a King. She was a Vestal Virgin named Rhea Silvia..."

"You said virgin. Heh-heh-heh. I'd like to score some of that."

"Shut up, Remus."

Romulus could only take so much of his brother at one time, so he started walking away. But he stopped and turned back.

"Remus, are you cold? It's cold here. I think my nuts are going to fall off."

"I think with all that hair, mom likes the cold. I can try to start a fire. Heh-heh."

"This sucks! I'm getting outta here."

Romulus started walking off in search of a warmer place to live. He headed south-southwest around a large lake shore until he came across a small village.

Meanwhile Remus wandered off to the Southeast around the other side of the lake, trying to figure out where his brother went.

(And with that, I think I just set mythology and history back several decades. I actually hate Beavis and Butt-head so, thankfully, that's about all I can manage. But I just couldn't get it out of my head every time I thought of "Remus and Romulus". It did seem like a sufficiently inauspicious beginning for our founding “twin” settlers.)

4000 (Turn 1)
- Romulus Due South - reveals a second whale in a lake. Could hit both whales from plains square, but probably better off working them in separate towns anyway
- Remus SE

3950 (Turn 2)
- Romulus SW, Remus SE around opposite sides of lake
- Ooh, a 1 square river within reach of the whale.
- Top cities indicate Japan, German, Aztec, and Indians.
- Oops! I hate trying to differentiate the names of the Aztec cities, so I've got an "alternate" set of city names for the Aztecs in my file. Their capital is named "Monty Python". :blush: Sorry about that.

Here they go their separate ways.

3900 (3)
- Romulus south along lake shore
- Remus SE to river

3850 (4)
- What the… I was just about to build a city when I noticed the river is on a mountain square. The river headwater graphic has completely obscured the mountain. I don't think I've ever seen that in a random map…interesting (Some tweaking here?). I guess we'll keep moving. Remus moves south to reveal another river feeding the lake.
- Romulus espies an intriguing location (78,10), but I want to explore a bit more before settling. I'm looking for one of two things to settle (more on that later). We'll be behind for centuries, what's a few more turns.

3800 (5)
Romulus SE spots Hut (81,13)
Remus S to River – it’s only 1 square long. :(

3750 (6)
- Romulus pops hut - Archer
- Archer moves south. Very nice: A riverbed that's more than 1 square long!
- Remus moves south toward this new river.

After a bit of exploring, the Archers told Romulus of a large river to the south which the locals called the Tiber. Remus and Romulus both headed that direction.

3700 (7)
- Both settlers go south toward the Tiber
- Ooh, and a silk. Just what I was looking for!

3650 (8)
- Hut 50g
- Remus moves E toward another expected hut.
- Romulus moves onto River

3600 (9)
- Remus E to Hut - 25g
- Romulus moves along river to nice grassland near the silk and founds ROME
- Lots of forest. Some will eventually need to be cleared, but the river should provide a trade boost while still small
- Start working silk. Shields! Trade!
- Archer explores

And thus the city of Rome was founded by Romulus: rightful heir to the kingdom of Alba Longa, and son of the War God Mars. At this point, he’s supposed to kill his brother, but NON-settlers are too valuable to do that. Instead, Romulus sent him out to the forests to build a road to where the silkworms thrived.

The mostly male population of Rome was going to be very slow to grow and thrive. So Romulus used a bunch of his gold coins to entice the nearby Sabines to attend a festival in his new town. While they were there, Romulus kidnapped the Sabine daughters and the Romans married them, rapidly increasing the rate of growth within the city. This allowed Romulus to send out an early settlement party.

3550 (10)
- Start Research -> Code of Laws
- Remus moves back onto silk
- Archer continues exploring
- Rush 7 shields (16g)

3500 (11)
- Start roading silk
- Rush 7 shields (16g)
- Archer moves east

3450 (12)
- Hut should be close enough to city to suppress barbs, so Archer pops it: 50g.
- Rush size 1 settler for 48 now with plenty of gold to spare (would have been able to afford it without last hut, but now we have some reserves)

3400 (13)
- Rome completes Size 1 Settler - moves westward along river.

3350 (14)
- Code of Laws -> Monarchy
- Silk road completed
- Darn - 2 mountains in my next city location – oh well, its’ still looking like a good spot.

3300 (15)
- Veii founded on two-fish site west of Rome (actually a potential 3rd special is still in the dark)
- Remus moves and pre-charges one turn.

As I said above, my exploration was looking for one of two things: either a River to serve as the “Tiber”, or a site where we could get a size 1 settler to work the Sabine Daughters into the story - which usually means silk. Turns out I found both. And the extra gold made the size 1 settler that much easier to complete.

Various checks of the top5 cities indicate our neighbors are Japanese, Germans, Aztecs, Persians, Carthaginians, and Indians. Sorry about the city name for the Aztecs.

I’m not sure how much manipulation was done to this map, but given how far north we are and the amount of grassland and rivers we are seeing, I suspect the settings were Warm and Wet, and that the middle of the map may be heavy with swamp and jungle. Just a guess.

We have 2 cities (Both in disorder until they can grow to size 2 and support an Elvis) and one other settler who needs to find a home.

Remus (the remaining NON-settler) has one turn precharge in him if you want him to do some work on his way to wherever he settles.

I have Rome's worker on the roaded Silk for the extra trade to get to Monarchy sooner, even though that means slower food growth. Veii is working the river-GL-shield square - it provides the same resources as the fish (until monarchy) and it gave one extra shield on the first turn before the city descended into disorder. Once in monarchy, it should work fish for faster growth to size 2 for an Elvis.

I thought about spending some more of the gold to move production along in Rome, but figured I'd leave a little nest egg for the next player to do as he sees fit.

We have 3/22 beakers towards monarchy. We are producing 4 beakers per turn, finishing it in 5 turns. I think that puts us on track for an Oedo year instant revolution in 3050, but the next player should double-check my math on that.

So in summary, we have 2 size 1 cities plus a non-settler looking for a place to call home. We have 4 techs (3 starting) and should discover monarchy and have a revolution in 5 turns. We have over 50 g in the treasury. The next player gets to determine where Remus will settle, get us into monarchy and probably start doing real work in a city or two (once we can hire an Elvis).

Enjoy.

Hopefully I can get the file attachment right.
View attachment CA_B3300.SAV

Edit: Why doesn't my file show up in the little attachment box?

Hello all:

Sorry for chiming in so late. I was amazed to see Starlifter's name listed on the first post (though later I see he has not responded). Has he been back in the forums?

I would like to give this a go with you all. However, my schedule is very, very bad through the end of the year pretty much. Still, pencil me in as I will surely watch what happens, and when it's my turn I can either pass, play a portion, or jump in with a full story full of comedy and warmth.

does roading a forest square give you one extra trade arrow? I remember you only get the 1/3 move cost bonus. or is that because I play Multiplayer Gold?

Kev said:
Hello all:

Sorry for chiming in so late. I was amazed to see Starlifter's name listed on the first post (though later I see he has not responded). Has he been back in the forums?
Starlifter returned for a few weeks and expressed interest in a new game [this one] should one be started. However, he disappeared again and AFAIK hasn't returned.

Kev said:
I would like to give this a go with you all. However, my schedule is very, very bad through the end of the year pretty much. Still, pencil me in as I will surely watch what happens, and when it's my turn I can either pass, play a portion, or jump in with a full story full of comedy and warmth.
Playing order modified. Sharkbait plays next.

Things are looking good so far...

Just did a write up but I lost it - took too,long I guess! :mad:

Anyway, I can't post the save yet as I need to get to my home computer, which I'll try and do tonight (although i've got a whiskey tasting so I may forget :crazyeye: ). Will also try and rewrite tonite.

A couple of teasers:

The riotous behaviour of our hot blooded citizens makes the chances of reaching monarchy in time for the next oedo year recede.

Our trusty archer makes a couple of discoveries, some of which are decidely unfavourable and affect the rest of the turnset.

What is that large animal pulling that piece of wood with a person standing on it? Who are they?

Top Bottom