1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

D+3 Classic SG: The Future Roman Superpower

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Stories & Tales' started by TheViking, Nov 4, 2006.

1. Sharkbait

Sharkbait Warlord

:nuke: ???

2. TimTheEnchanter

TimTheEnchanter I...am...an Enchanter!

Since I follow you, I guess that means I already know what I'll be doing too...

Now, where's that "p" key again?

3. Duke of Marlbrough

Duke of Marlbrough The Quiet Moderator Retired Moderator

Alrighty...

Playing time has been somewhat scarce of late, so I set the goal to get my turns done or take out the Carths, whichever came first.

A quick walk through:

1670: lots of stuff to figure out. I spent at least two hours just looking at everything before moving a single unit.

I saw we had a city set to disband to make some of our Partisans NONE's. With the city cycle the city will disband before it checks for shield requirments (since the Engineer was RB) so another Partisan is rehomed to the city for this event.

I almost forgot to cycle through the cities for builds and such and would have missed seeing a city that was in disorder last turn was left in disorder that would have wiped out our Democracy.

Every city has their productions Rush built.

An Indian Crusader comes out and we are forced into a cease fire with them. So much for my thought to capture Womens Suffrage this round.

1680: Start the push on the Carths. A couple transports and Crusiers that were rush built will aid in jumping past the hills that would take lots of time to get through by foot. A couple cities taken from the Carths. The two unspotted cities they have are found, one by accident of a repositioning ship.

1690: Phase two of the push. Land engineer in the middle of their troops , build city, unload troops wipe out many units in the area. A couple more cities taken. Get a couple ship chains shortened and relocate a couple others.

Surround most of Karachi with troops to force them into a shield shortage for supporting all those Riflemen (currently 8, plus the Crusader). [after the turn cycle they are down to 4 Riflemen in the city]

1700: Take out the last five Carth cities and all the Partisians they got disappear. Overall plan was to build rail lines to connect all the cities for future freight builds and such.

Another square taken from Karachi that should make them lose another Rifleman in the city. Need to get them into war somehow. :(

That's where I stopped.

I had just started to produce Howizters so we only have 7 right now. Most of them are vets since I focused on Barrack cities to build them in. Also, I sold most of the Carth city walls and only left ones where a barracks also existed so they were easier to find. Most of the units on the Carth continent can be pushed up towards the Indians (or whoever we can get to fight us next) or used as seed shields for new rush buys.

I don't really feel like I did a whole lots but it certainly took a lot of time to do it. :crazyeye:

You're welcome to use my unused turns and add them to your set if you like. ;) And, no, I didn't give you nukes but I did clean up the existing pollution for ya. :p

Attached Files:

4. TheViking

TheViking The world is not enough

I've been rather busy recently so it's not until now that I'm starting my turns. I will probably be finished on Wednesday at latest. Warning: There will probably be some fireworks...

5. TheViking

AT LAST!

I apologize for taking several weeks to finish but I was extremely busy, each turn took a huge amount of time and I had a lot of fun. I played one extra turn per Duke's suggestion (and also, without it accomplishing what I wanted would have been difficult :D).

Summary of the turns:

1700 AD (0): Berlin gold -> Monty Python (ND; 600). Buy Manhattan Project for about 2300 gold in Rome. Delhi gems -> Monty Python (ND; 1032). Munich gold -> Teotihuacan (ND; 618). Disband some artilleries and buy howitzers instead. Rush buy about 10 engineers. Adjust production in many cities.

1710 AD (1): Persians develop electricity. Genetic engineering discovered. Manhattan Project built in Rome. Lutetia oil -> Teotihuacan (ND; 1251). Palmyra oil -> Teotihuacan (ND; 760). Canal di Viking silk -> Tetihuacan (D; 388). Cure for cancer bought for almost 2400 gold. Problem: All of the AI civs love us. Rushbuy some freight.

1720 AD (2): The laser discovered. Lutetia discovers Cure for Cancer. Give computers to the Aztecs in exchange for fundamentalism. Delhi oil -> Teotihuacan (ND; 918). Alalia silver -> Monty Python (D; 1726).

1730 AD (3): Japanese develop magnetism. Aztecs start SETI, immediately nearly complete it. Flight discovered. Rusicade gems -> Teotihuacan (ND; 576). SETI bought for almost 2400 gold. Lugdunum dye -> Nara (D; 358). Lugdunum gold -> Teotihuacan (ND; 340). Hispalis gold -> Teotihuacan (ND; 710).

1740 AD (4): Aztecs develop electronics. Persians develop communism. Indians demand the withdrawal of our troops - uh, OK. Pisae builds SETI program, Aztecs abandon it :D. Radio discovered. Alalia wine -> Teotihuacan (ND; 626). Heidelberg dye -> Xochicalco (D; 1440). Byzantium gold -> Teotihuacan (ND; 892).

1750 AD (5): Japan unhappy about the presence of our troops but no withdrawal demands. Indians develop tactics, also unhappy with troops. Advanced flight discovered. Kolhapur dye -> Edo (D; 500). Bengal copper -> Calixtlahuaca (D; 888). Prepare to nuke everyone next turn. Caesarea dye -> Teotihuacan (D; 1280).

1760 AD (6): THE MOMENT OF TRUTH. Persians develop democracy. Troops withdrawn (temporarily :D) in Japan and India. Rocketry discovered. Konigsberg dye -> Teotihuacan (D; 1584). Frankfurt gems -> Teotihuacan (ND; 986). Bengal oil -> Teotihuacan (ND; 406). REVOLUTION!! Mysterious nuclear blast in Zohak. Mysterious nuclear blast in Monty Python. Mysterious nuclear blas in Osaka. WOOOOHOOO!!! Our spy caught red-handed moments before a nuclear blast in Karachi. Everyone declares war on us :D. Mysterious nuclear blast in Madras. Madras captured, 166 gold plundered. Karachi captured, 199 gold plundered. Indian government excapes to Bangalore. Monty Python captured, 150 gold plundered. Lots of partisans appear. Nara captured, 290 gold plundered. Osaka captured, 133 gold plundered. Kyoto captured, 232 gold plundered. Japanese government escapes to Kagoshima. Kagoshima captured, 95 gold plundered. No Japanese capital :D. Zohak captured, 41 gold plundered.

Well, I admit it: The situation is a mess. War against everyone and anarchy. I managed to nuke everyone - but only one city per civ with the exception of the Indians (two nukes). Some of our just captured cities may get bribed next turn although the fact that we have lots of cash (9750 gold) may combat this - I don't recommend spending a single coin of gold this turn. The Aztecs are probably our most dangerous enemy as far as this is concerned. Due to the messy situation, immediately returning to democracy may be a bad idea - I recommend communism for a few turns.

There are a few polluted squares that need cleaning but they are fewer than originally planned - rocketry wasn't discovered until my last turn and I didn't have as many spies as I'd have prefered since several of them died when attempting to nuke (a higher number than I expected).

I've started building airports, both for transportation purposes and for building stealth fighters once we discover stealth a few turns from now. There are *lots* of Elvii in our cities to combat anarchy-related unhappiness. Most of them can be fired next turn.

There is quite a bit left of the current turn.

Tim plays next. I hope he has a functioning P key on his keyboard :D.

Attached Files:

6. Schloss Ritter

Schloss Ritter Chieftain

Ah, it's always fun leaving a mess when someone else has to clean it up. :nuke: :lol: :nuke:

7. TimTheEnchanter

:cringe:
    tenchars

8. TimTheEnchanter

I'm really sorry. I haven't had time to even look at this game since it was posted. Someone else should probably go next.

9. TheViking

Looks like I'm not the only one here too busy to play much at the moment (I have to skip probably at least two consecutive GOTMs as well).

This means it's Sharkbait's turn to clean up the mess :D. Actually it's not that bad, only about 20 polluted squares.

10. Sharkbait

Sharkbait Warlord

I've been away in the UK and Spain but am back in Civ-able territory now. I'll take a look and start unless Tim mentions he wants to step in.

11. Sharkbait

Sharkbait Warlord

I've finally started. Oops - "Mysterious Nuclear blast in Edo!".....:lol:

12. TimTheEnchanter

I bet it was those pesky Aztecs!

13. TheViking

It seems you are going to have (even) more fun than I did during my turns :nuke:. Due to lack of the necessary techs I wasn't able to nuke anyone until my last turn so I didn't have as much 'fun' as I wanted to. An obvious proof of this is the fact that I left only about 20 polluted squares to clean up :D.

BTW I will be more or less away from my computer for the next 10-15 days. Old n Slow plays once Sharkbait has finished (or Tim should he wish to since he didn't play the last time it was his turn).

14. Sharkbait

Sharkbait Warlord

OK - I finally got round to finish my turns. I started turn zero and did some then didn't get back to it for another few days, and didn't want to waste yet another weekend so I played my turns quite quickly without too much of a definite strategy. The end result is less pollution than when I started, as I had a change of heart as to the terrible effects of nuclear fallout (yeah right).

The anarchy made things progress somewhat slower than maybe otherwise, but when oedo came around in 1756 I went for Fundy as it was a lot easier than worrying about happiness, gave me loads of shields to build stuff and I had sort of got the nuke thing out of my system already. I started to get a bit paranoid about global warming with 30 or so skulls staring at me - I haven't ever looked into how much pollution triggers it. So the next player is left with 6 (3 at Zohak, 2 at Punjab and 1 at Palmyra back on our home continent).

I ended going for a bit of a buildup of howitzer numbers, although by that I only mean we now have 30. Lots of engineers have been shipped south or are en route to help in case the next player's finger touches the nuke button by accident.

Alas the Japanese, with their fine origami and sake, are no longer a part of our brave new world. Their attacks using paper cuts did sting but the brave artillery and howitzer units somehow overcame their sore fingers and smashed them flat.

The Indians are down to 4 cities, of which we can only see 2. The Aztecs have 7, and I didn't touch the Persians so they still have 16.

I have tried to beef up the southern ship chain a bit, but lost one empty transport to the Aztecs which put me back a bit.

There is still quite a few units to move this turn.

Here's the brief log.

+1752(0) - As previously mentioned, my spy nukes Edo:nuke: , and we take it for 42g. Jaipur taken by troops +52g. Hut - NONE rifle.

I decide to spend gold and see if the AI will bribe any cities back. I spend to 6500g mainly on vet hozies, then hit Enter by mistake!:rolleyes: Oh well, wasn't going to spend too much more anyway.

Aztecs steal Tactics, no cities bribed back.

+1754(1) - Calcutta taken by arms +135g. Lose 2 spies trying to nuke Bangalore. Hut - AT (Treveri). A few barbs around to keep the town amused.

Nuclear blast in Satsuma!!!!:nuke: :lol: All nations declare war on us (they're already at war - oh no - we're now at Double War with everybody!!!):rolleyes:
    Satsuma taken +89g. Nagasaki taken by arms +117g.

Sirmium founded (why not?).

Punjab nuked!!!:nuke: 44g on capture. Engineers and units heading south.

Spend a bit of cash.

+1756 (2) - Fundamenalist government established. TSL 80/20/0 +2100g per turn, 10 turns for tech.

Bangalore taken by army +498g.

Persians learn Conscription.

+1758 (3) - Combined Arms --> Recycling (only choice).

Teotihuacan taken by army +390g, RB mass transit. Tlacopan falls +52g. Hut - 100g. Spent down to about 2k gold.

+1760 (4) Izumo taken +211g, Nagoya falls +101g and thats it for the Japanese. Atzcapotzalco falls +169g.

+1762 (5) Tlatelolco falls +108g, Calixtlahuaca falls +97g.

Here's the save - enjoy!

Attached Files:

15. Old n Slow

Old n Slow Emperor

I'm up again?

16. TheViking

Yes - Old n Slow plays next. Have fun!

Obviously a fun set of turns by Sharkbait with lots of hi-tech warfare and nukes. Adding stealth to our techs is going to be fun.

It's pretty late but apparently I forgot to mention that during my reign before Sharkbait I renamed all cities containing airports by prefixing their names with an asterisk (*) in an attempt to simplify logistics.

I notice we have some redundant Elvii that could be eliminated. And if we really want to perfect things irrigation near our oldest cities would be nice. And please rush buy freight in the two cities producing uranium ;).

17. Old n Slow

Old n Slow Emperor

I hope that you can tell by the delay that I thought someone else actually had the ball. My bad.

Will look at this tonight.:blush:

18. TheViking

Any news of our glorious, peaceful empire?

19. Old n Slow

Old n Slow Emperor

I've played a couple of turns and can say that I've met one of my goals: I've stopped by to visit Persia. I'll think I'll make another goal in a turn or two -- discovery of the last couple of cities. Should be able to pass this on soon.

20. Duke of Marlbrough

Duke of Marlbrough The Quiet Moderator Retired Moderator