D+3 Classic SG: The Future Roman Superpower

Huh? Me again? I thought I was just up a couple of players ago.

Oh well, if you're really looking for trouble...

125 BC -- we have 9 cities, 8 camels-- 5th in Pop. Inadequate/spotless.
100BC -- cash in 8 camels...
75 BC -- We have 1M in population and now three wonders. but the Ides of March are upon us and Caeser gets the raw deal. The new leader decides that a celebrqation is in order -- all must celebrate! And at the same time Nero dissolves the Senate. He calls for increased natural terrain -- no more of these roads. He also contacts the overseas nations and boasts of the new wonder. And then he calls them doorknobs.
50BC -- Nero demands that every city builds a library, no wait, a Great Library! Let every city have one! And build those libraries while the party continues! (Meanwhile Antioch completes the Great Wall)
25BC -- Tlaxacala completes a great library, but it will not match our several great ones ahh ha ha HA!
1AD -- 100 AD not much happens except that the population gets worn down through excessive partying -- oh yes India starts Sun Tsu. Repeated contacts with the overseas nations results in their acquiring new levels of doorknobedness.
-------------------------------------

Yup, you asked for a Kev, and since Nero did show up in the early AD's, I felt that it was rather appropriate. I didn't have the heart to squander the 8 camels waiting, nor smack Germany...but shrinking from 1M in pop down to 130K might make the challenge a bit more taxing for the next player. I thought about donating the sicence away, but I don't think that Nero was that savvy -- mean cruel & spiteful, but not diplomatic.

An interesting turn of events and exactly what we needed to make things much more interesting - great set of turns :D :goodjob:.

Ironically, it's now Kev's turn to play and clean up the mess if his schedule allows. If he doesn't appear in the next 2-4 days it's Duke's turn.

I wonder if everyone is too afraid of the mess Old n Slow left :D, 12 days have passed since he finished playing. I should stress that we are in a really interesting situation with a very low population count, almost no army, a science rate that sucks and no government.

Since Kev hasn't shown up Duke gets to clean up the mess :D.

100AD - (0) – Production for cities changed. Workers changed. 100 gold from Germans.

Germans at war with Carthaginians.
Persians Develop Pottery
India finishes Sun Tzu
India develops Invention

120AD – (1) - A quick check shows the Aztecs have the GL so talks start with them.

Monotheism for Engineering
Polytheism for Bridge Building
Math for Warrior Code
Cease Fire Signed. Peace treaty signed. Updated maps traded.

Revolution ends. Republic picked.

140AD – (2) – IPRB done.

Aztecs government overthrown.
Persians and Japanese declare war on each other.
Carthaginians develop Engineering

Order restored in cities.

160AD – (3) – IPRB done.

Germans deliver Wool to Neapolis
Aztecs change to Republic

180AD – (4) – IPRB done.

Germans develop Medicine
Aztecs and Japanese make peace

200AD – (5) – IPRB done.

Germans start Shakespeare’s Theatre
Persians Develop Medicince
Aztecs acquire Medicine
Persians start Shakespeare’s Theatre

220AD – (6) – IPRB done.

Indians start Leo’s.

240AD – (7) – IPRB done.

Aztecs Develop Invention

260AD – (8) – IPRB done. 150 gold from Germans. More IPRB done.

Indians develop Gunpowder.

280AD – (9) – IPRB done. Settlers start the ‘great road build project’.

Notice Indians are working on Math, which we have. Meet with Indians. They change governments. Not good. They demand Navigation. Given. Trade Math for Invention. Updated maps traded.

Indians change to Monarchy.

300AD – (10) – IPRB done. Dye Caravan built.

Germans develop Engineering
Aztecs start Leo’s
Carthaginians develop trade
Carthaginians and Indians declare war.

320AD – Veii celebrates. Caravel is planned to go to Ravenna and pick up third caravan next turn for delivery to Carthaginians (?). Settlers are planned to build roads to connect cities for faster caravan deliveries.

Attachments

• CA_A320.SAV
    156.6 KB · Views: 124
Nice return from the ashes, Duke. I'm surprised that the dishonorable Romans were able to get gifts! :D

It's my turn to play :eek:.

Nice set of turns but our situation is bad. There's an awful lot of things I want to do but extremely limited resources to do anything major. We really need to expand and found more cities but we also need more roads. I haven't decided what to do, maybe some compromise where three of our five settlers build roads near Rome and the other two settlers found cities.

Also two of our cities can't grow at present which is very bad.

Delivering caravans to our enemies is also important; fortunately we have two of these aboard a caravel. I'll probably send them to the Carthaginians. It takes a lot of time so sending them to the Germans is also an option despite a lower delivery bonus. Hmmm...

Some screenshots would be nice.

Nice set of turns but our situation is bad. There's an awful lot of things I want to do but extremely limited resources to do anything major. We really need to expand and found more cities but we also need more roads. I haven't decided what to do, maybe some compromise where three of our five settlers build roads near Rome and the other two settlers found cities.

Delivering caravans to our enemies is also important; fortunately we have two of these aboard a caravel. I'll probably send them to the Carthaginians. It takes a lot of time so sending them to the Germans is also an option despite a lower delivery bonus. Hmmm...
I haven't looked at the game in a while, but I dare say taking the time for the bigger delivery bonus a bit later is usually more valuable than getting a puny one (Same continent, short distance, no connection) sooner.

I wasn't sure of the extra trade that the Germans would have by them being in a Republic versus the extra distance/different continent of the Carth's.

After doing some quick checking it looked like the Carh's would be the best bet. However, we may have some issues with our standing with them to actually be able to deliver the caravans. I set it up to have 3 caravans ready to go on the caravel the next turn.

With no roads and only one diplomat, we are one boat load getting dropped near us away from losing some cities.

I was hoping the Settlers would help address the roads while the deliveries gave us the gold to help rush buy more units. I do also agree that more cities need to try and be built, but the roads seemed a bit more important right now.

Some screenshots would be nice.

Here ya go.

On the world map, I added colored squares to try and highlight where the AI civs are.

Attachments

• Romans.jpg
    Romans.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 238
  • Main Continent.jpg
    Main Continent.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 227
  • Carths.jpg
    Carths.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 222
  • World.jpg
    World.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 243

How's it looking? Conquered the world yet?

One of my hard disks was causing problems a so I haven't started playing (this also prevented me from finishing and submitting GOTM72 :-(). This problem is now resolved so I will play this weekend.

Regarding caravans, I'm leaning towards a 'compromise' by delivering one of them to the Germans and the other two to the Carthaginians. The payback by delivering to the Germans is much lower but getting some $$ quickly can be advantageous if it's spent wisely.

The only problems is that I don't know in advance how much I'll get by delivering to the Germans. At less than 50 gold it's not worth doing in my opinion, 50-100 gold is probably worth doing and 100+ definitely worth doing, at this stage a lot can be done for 100 gold.

The only problems is that I don't know in advance how much I'll get by delivering to the Germans. At less than 50 gold it's not worth doing in my opinion, 50-100 gold is probably worth doing and 100+ definitely worth doing, at this stage a lot can be done for 100 gold.
At home I have a spreadsheet where you can enter the relevant parameters and it will calculate the bonus payout for trade deliveries. You will need to enter the trade arrows in the target city but given the size of the city, the AI government, and the surrounding terrain (And your knowledge of the stupid way the AI assigns it's workers) It's usually not that hard to get a pretty close estimate (being off by a few arrows doesn't usually change the payout too much). A few days ago I looked at the possible payouts and I'm pretty sure Berlin would only pay about 60-70g. Anything closer than berlin would likely pay even less. Anything under 100 hardly seems worth it to me, but what do I know?

I think I got the spreadsheet from Apolyton because I can't seem to find it here. I believe it's called tradepayoffcalculator.xls or something equally creative. I would guess it's in the one of the threads where the payoff calculations were identified, so if you check the GLII, you would probably be able to find the original thread. Poly is blocked for me for some reason so I can't look for it now.

Here it is. Chofritz created this. It's listed as a .TXT - I think that was to get around filetype restrictions. I think you just rename it to a .XLS and it will work in excel.

It is part of samson's Calculating Caravan and Freight Delivery Payments thread.

Top Bottom