1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

D&D 3.5 Play-by-post: discussion (and possibly recruitment)

Discussion in 'Forum Games' started by henrebotha, Jun 19, 2009.

1. henrebotha

henrebotha proud Fender owner

This thread is for the forming of Dungeons & Dragons games, whether they be forum- or chatroom-based. I will keep this first post as up-to-date as possible, so that people can quickly see whether it is possible to start up a new game.

Current Games
    3.5e DMd by henrebotha
    Spoiler Players - final roster :
    Seon (two-sword half-elf fighter)
    Stuck in Pi (human fighter, heavily armed mounted knight)
    kill fire (halfling rogue)
    Tasslehoff (warlock)
    Captain2 (elf cleric)

4e DMd by flyingchicken
    Spoiler Players - to be finalised :
    oyzar
    Methos
    Tasslehoff
    Abaddon

A Brief Introduction to D&D
    For those who are less than familiar with D&D, here is a post from our old thread on the xkcd fora.
    Other Useful Stuff
    Spoiler Links :
    http://www.d20srd.org/ - All of the core rules, including classes, equipment, magic, and combat.
    http://www.nzcomputers.net/heroforge/default35.asp - Comprehensive Microsoft Excel-format character sheet generators. The third link from the top is the one you want.
    http://www.myth-weavers.com/ - A cool site with loads of useful tools, including character sheets.

Spoiler the original post, for reference :
    Hello there, Forum Games! It is very nice to meet you indeed.

I was a player in a play-by-post Dungeons & Dragons game on the xkcd fora, but that game died. However, I enjoyed it immensely while it lasted (partly because no-one in this country plays D&D, so I've never really had much opportunity to play), and since the people on this here board enjoy their games so much (and are just generally nice people), I figger: why not try and start a 3.5 game here?

We would need someone to DM (I could do it, theoretically, but I'd much prefer to play), and around 3-6 players (any more gets crowded, methinks).

Since D&D 3.5, much of the game content has been released under the Open Gaming License, which means it's free to download. So if any of you folks want to rekindle an old spark, http://www.d20srd.org/ is the place to go. :)

Anyone up for some d20 fun?

Personally, I'm up for about a 70/30 blend of roleplaying vs combat. I'm much more interested in developing a character in a fantasy context than meeting in a tavern to slay the goblins terrorising merchant caravans from the nearby hills. I like settings with high magic, and prefer slightly more modern settings than real, backwards Medieval stuff.

2. Neverwonagame3

Neverwonagame3 Self-Styled Intellectual

I'd join it- I wouldn't like DMing either, but on the right terms I'd give it a try (mostly about making my own starting setting- I can promise not to railroad, but little more then that quality-wise)

3. henrebotha

So you mean you'd DM if you could create your own setting?

4. Neverwonagame3

Indeed, although I don't think from past experience I'd be too good at it.

5. henrebotha

Haha, I hear ya. Well, if no-one steps up to the DMing plate, you're welcome to - and I agree completely with the idea of a DM creating his own setting. You just know the setting better if you wrote every bit of it, yeah? I can't even begin to fathom how people DM Forgotten Realms games.

6. flyingchicken

flyingchicken 99 117 110 116 115

I could DM, but on the condition that I be given ample time to prepare (about 1 weekend) and that we use IRC (well, maybe not).

Caveat emptor, though! My entire DMing experience amounts to around five nights (face-to-face games), but a lot of brainstorming tells me that the D&D format is best played in real time. Maybe with one of those online-playing-aids, but those seem to complicated and large to set up... Though there are successful forum ones, and the ones I've seen agree to speed-up rules like 2 game turns per turn in combat for example.

7. Neverwonagame3

Willing to let flyingchicken DM then, although I don't know how to use IRC.

8. henrebotha

It's fine if you need a lot of time to prepare; it takes a while for people to get on board, decide on characters, remember how the game works :p, etc.

I must disagree on the IRC count, though. Two big reasons for play-by-post:
    1) It allows those of us who enjoy an immersive RP experience to take a little time with their responses (my mind, despite being pretty strong, works very slowly at the best of times, and I like playing characters a little more quick-witted than that).
    2) It allows us to play without having to set aside a time that everyone can make.

So I, for one, am not budging: I want to play on the forum. (Another cool part of this is any CivFanatics user can then read the game just for fun.)

9. flyingchicken

flyingchicken 99 117 110 116 115

Well then, a slow forum game then! If anyone else decides to join we could, you know, decide on a theme or something.

10. henrebotha

MOARRRR PLAYERRRS GHRARAHG :assimilate:

I'm glad I got such a quick response so far. :D

11. oyzar

oyzar Have quit civ/forums

I can play if we don't start before the 3rd of july. I don't think i've ever actually played D&D3.5 before though.. If that'll be a problem...

As for IRC, there are IRC channels for that. If that is what you want, go play on irc. I think this will be quite slow, but because you can use time to formulate your responses, as well as potentially quee actions I think things should be fine.

It might require a rather active DM though(since the limiting factor is how fast the DM can respond, unless you decide to handle all the players at the same time all the time, instead of individually). A format that might be better suited for forum games than going around in a party(so everyone have to wait for everyone), might be individual set of actions(so two or more peopel can travel together if they want or go individual, and every time the DM posts, he just make actions for those "groups" that have posted since last time). Alternativly we could go with regular updates every 6, 12 or 24 hours(6 hours might be hard as people have to sleep/work, but 12 is probably doable) and the players posting in between that(maybe even player vs player interaction that doesn't actually affect the rest of the game)?

12. henrebotha

If you've played 3rd Edition, you can play 3.5. It's really just minor balance issues, and a whole lotta new content. (The Bard and Ranger changed a bit, but you can read up on it at the Hypertext D20 SRD - the link I posted earlier.)

Also, it's a lot simpler to do than you think. You post when you want to post something. When the DM feels he should describe reactions or whatnot, he posts. It's not necessary to have a "posting order", or to always go DM-player-DM-player etc.

13. henrebotha

...And then obviously, character-specific events are handled via PMs.

Also, we should maybe start thinking of characters. I wouldn't be averse to playing a paladin, for once.

I would suggest we start above level 1. I like my characters to come with a bit of history to them. :p

Because this will be a one-shot adventure and not part of an extended campaign, the rules for buying items change - specifically, single-use items cost five times the normal amount (since they're obviously more valuable).

14. hell_hound

hell_hound Chieftain

I will play but it is coming up to the holidays in which I will be away for a week on 3 separate occasions. I also have little D&Ding ewxperience but have a very basic grasp of the game

15. henrebotha

The cool thing about D&D (and especially when you're playing a forum game) is that you don't really need to know anything about D&D - just roleplaying. :) So, hell_hound, if you can RP, we'll help you out with the details.

16. henrebotha

For those who are less than familiar with D&D, here is a post from our old thread on the xkcd fora.

EDIT: See first post for D&D intro.

17. oyzar

Ok, I have never played D&D 3 either(at least i don't think i have, i might have without knowing it). I have played a bit RP before, but not extensivly. As you said earlier, i doubt i need to know all the rules to play. That said your above post tells me nothing i don't already know(cept the part about red mage being a jack of all trades in final fantasy). One thing i wonder about though, do we get subclasses like for example for paladin; undead hunter, cavalier, inquisitor?

18. Stuck in Pi

Stuck in Pi 3.14159265358979323846...

I'd join this. Couldn't possibly be DM, but I've played D&D in 3.5 before so I know what I'm getting into. Should be fun.

EDIT: I'd like to play as a Sorcerer. Never got to when I used to play.

19. henrebotha

oyzar: There are no subclasses (classes are fairly customisable as is), but there are prestige classes, which are similar. Basically, you have to meet certain prerequisites to take a level in a prestige class (you can take levels in more than one class, by the way, but doing it excessively will mean you gain experience slower than other characters). For instance, to take your first level in the Eldritch Knight PrC, you must be proficient with all martial weapons (meaning everything except the really weird stuff like two-bladed swords and repeating crossbows), and you must be able to cast at least one arcane spell of 3rd level. PrCs are a lot more specific and defined than classes - whereas you can play any number of different types of fighter, the PrCs like the Eldritch Knight represent a very specific character, often with affiliations to a particular organization or religion.

This is another reason I like to start above 1st level - it means we can play PrC characters from the start.

20. oyzar

Ok, i understand how that works. Seems to me that if we start higher than the first level it will be a lot more to figure out for the people playing than it would be if we started at the start though. Might also depend on the kind of setting/world we play in though, as that is definatly affected by level.

Also I see no reason why things have to be limited to one long game? Look at NoTW and how it have evolved, I see no reason why this can't do a similar thing(though starting with the intention that it'll do so might be a bit presumptous.

I would like to play as a sorceror or wizard probably. Magic is just more interesting than smashing face(even if it is probably harder at the lower levels).

Oh and there is no reason why the D&D description shouldn't be in the first post.