Editor Rules - Explained

I just need a bit of help with technologies.
I'm trying to make technologies cheaper. My goal is to make it so that 50% science slider in my mod would be like 100% in the normal game. Any help?
Thanks in advance.

Go to the "world sizes" tab, and half all of the "Tech Rate" entries for each world size. This should halve all costs.

Remember, too, if you're using a fixed map, make sure the value is the same for each - Civ3 has a bug whereby when using a fixed map, its values default to that of the last "random" map played.

Thanks a lot. Actually, my next question was going to be:
How do I make it so that the player can choose the map size and map type?
Thanks a lot. This place is great!

When I go into the "Multiplayer Setup" screen and load a scenario (map) that I want to play in multiplayer, it always seems to have the difficulty locked to Custom... How do I tell what difficulty custom is? Is there any way to allow hosts to set the AI and/or players difficulty from the hosting screen? (ie to make it so that it is not locked to custom?)

You have to choose the difficulty level before choosing the scenario. And it must be the same for all players. A possible AI couldn't be demigod for one player and prince for another one.

I've a question regarding strategic resources. I'm using CIV3 vanilla v1.29f.

When i try to randomly generate a map, and i've read the formulas in this and the linked post, i don't get the allocation i should.

An example would be yesterday i created a standard sized map with each resource given an appearance ratio of 300 (which in theory would have given me 48 of each strategic resource with 16 civs). However, while this was probably close for most of them, 1 resource only had 1 occurence and one was missing altogether.

Now i should explain that i'm using a "heavily" modified .bic, with 1 additional civ, 48 additional units (which shouldn't affect anything), 6 additional strategic resources, 6 additional luxury resources and 6 additional bonus resources (which can't have any values changed).

These new resources are required to build some buildings and almost all new units, so obviously this somewhat affected my testing.

I'm just hoping that someone can explain to me what i'm doing wrong here (and i assume its because there are now more resources than normal).

One other problem i have is with a new unit i've inserted. I'm not sure if this is the right place for that or not, but i can't get it to work the way i want it too. I've basically tagged it as a cruise missile but with infinite bombard range (basically a non polluting nuke) but it doesn't actually "work". I can select targets properly but not actually "fire" it. Wierd :confused:

Any help would be appreciated, and thanks in advance.

EDIT : Just realised that i missed out the 4% total area part of the formula (and the ones that were short were the last on the list, so i guess i ran out of available space). I don't suppose there's any way to change that part of the formula?

bump

since this is where I found the bold text below this is where I am posting my request for clarification.

in the Civ Advances tab of the Civ 3 Editor there is the following flag

Enables Recycling: Determines if the tech causes shields to be generated when you sell improvements.

This is checked for the Recycling Center tech in the default biq for C3C. This is one of the last techs available in the game.

I searched Civ 3 forums and found no explanation of what this flag actually does.

I have never sold off improvements in Civ 3 since I am that desperate I will just abandon the game. So I have no experience in how that works.

Does this flag mean you cannot sell improvements for profit (shields) until the game is almost over and you have researched Recycling? Or is this a broken flag similar to Eliminate Disease from Floodplains?

=============================

I am working on a mod to simulate Civ 4 in Civ 3 (see my sig) and Civ 4 does not have the Recycling tech. So my first inclination is to have no tech use this flag. But improvements should be able to be sold for profit throughout the game.

joelwest

Basically, when you sell an improvement, it gives you a certain amount of gold. With this flag, when you sell the improvement, it also gives you a certain amount of shields towards your cities' current production.

Basically, when you sell an improvement, it gives you a certain amount of gold. With this flag, when you sell the improvement, it also gives you a certain amount of shields towards your cities' current production.
thank you for this rapid response

what does this have to do with recycling? have other modders found this to be useful? in the standard non modded C3C the Recycling tech occurs so late in the game that having a few shields from selling off your improvements is meaningless. earlier in the game this would have more meaning. perhaps this should be enabled with Nationalism, the tech that allows the draft and war mobilization?

joelwest

what does this have to do with recycling?
It's just the name of the flag which allows this effect.

have other modders found this to be useful?
Sure. After all, every little helps!

in the standard non modded C3C the Recycling tech occurs so late in the game that having a few shields from selling off your improvements is meaningless. earlier in the game this would have more meaning. perhaps this should be enabled with Nationalism, the tech that allows the draft and war mobilization?

That could work, yeah.

Update:

Added new discoveries on Charm. And added a note that Plague acts funny.

Update: I have been making various small updates to this thread over the past few months, such as correcting some mistakes, linking new threads that are relevant (notably the Antal 1987 patch for Age of Science), etc.

If anyone is aware of any other useful threads, please let me know, and I can update them to the main post.

To do:
Find that one thread that explained what the AI prioritizes for building improvements/wonders
Re-upload screenshots that died with the fall of Imageshack.

Moderator Action: Re-organized to be in Tutorials, References, & Guides, and renamed to "Editor Rules - Explained" to make it clearer which rules it is talking about (Civ3 rules, rather than forum rules)

Top Bottom