1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Dad hndcuffs daughter to himself.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by classical_hero, Feb 19, 2015.

1. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2941325/Cuff-love-Worried-father-HANDCUFFS-daughter-travels-China-following-spate-child-kidnaps.html
    It is sad to see this happen but this is what happens when society loses it way. China has a dramatic female drought which is fuelling this trade in girls, because of the one child policy.

2. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Another drone in the hive mind

And the bad side effects in no way make the policy a bad policy. The world may be able to afford free breeding Australians, but at a certain point beyond a billion the Chinese themselves have recognized there really are enough Chinese. Good on them.

3. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

I'm not sure this has much to do with the one-child policy (which I thought had largely been abandoned edit: in fact it only applies to 36% of the Chinese population).

I'd have thought it has more to do with the growth of the rich middle class and the growth of kidnapping for ransom as a means of making money for criminals.

Still, there you go. If the Daily Mail says it's for criminals supplying the adoption market, that must be what it is.

4. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

This would never do in Alabama - a man has to have at least a second daughter so he can have a third wife.

5. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

If only more Chinese girls were allowed a concealed carry permit, fathers wouldn't be able to kidnap their own daughters.

6. JollyRoger

Good thing China has a one child policy or this poor guy would be handcuffed to a whole brood.

7. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Another drone in the hive mind

Probably just a perv thinking she is his ticket into the ladies restroom.

8. Gori the Grey

Gori the Grey The Poster

Maybe a 50 Shades of Grey thing gone horribly bad.

Evidently there are people showing up in emergency rooms with S&M antics gone wrong.

9. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

Do you remember that thing with the actor (Richard Gere) and the hamster gerbil?

I've never been able to look at him and keep a straight face ever since.

Link to video.

Anyway, an urban myth apparently.

10. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

I didn't see a hamster there, but I fast forwarded through parts.

11. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

:confused:

Is this some urban slang I'm unfamiliar with?

First Knight is the only Arthurian story I've ever seen that has absolutely none of the Three M's: Merlin, Morgan/Morgaine, and Mordred. That's why I enjoy it so much.

When this movie was shown at the theatre here, my SCA group was asked to attend opening night in costume and provide some medieval-style entertainment before the movie. So we had a display set up in the theatre lobby and the fighters did a demo in the front of the auditorium. The audience enjoyed it, and we got to see the movie for free. :D

12. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

No. It's not slang.

But instead a rather unsavoury story (totally unconfirmed, but never denied by Gere himself) about a de-clawed gerbil, and a sexual adventure that went wrong to the extent it involved a trip to Accident and Emergency.

It's freely available on line. Though, if I were you, I wouldn't bother looking it up.

13. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

Then I fail to see what this has to do with First Knight.

14. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

Your failure is completely understandable. It has nothing to do with First Knight beyond the fact that both feature Richard Gere.

15. NetGear

NetGear King

Its not really one child policy that's to blame. Although its part of it. Its emphasis on having male heir in asia that's mostly the culprit. If US had one child policy it wouldnt have the same problem at all.

16. Farm Boy

Farm Boy The trees are actually quite lovely.

There are many regulations in place with the intent to keep Americans from buying children. Even with those protections, waiting couples with lots of spare cash still generally get placed with children for direct domestic and international adoption faster than those of more modest means. The waiting list is a weird, tense, exciting, yet mostly sad place to inhabit. It's totes right there, if not 70,000 abductions a year strong.

News from close enough to home to consider it home is leading on CNN today, and that's both then and now. One pivotal event in my parents' childhoods dusted off and back in the light of day. I don't know how to feel. http://www.cnn.com/2015/02/20/us/cold-case-trial-mccullough/index.html

17. JollyRoger

Adam and Eve:

18. Aleksey_aka_al

Aleksey_aka_al Smiley

One child policy is the best future for everyone. Much better than the conspiracy of the Western elite to force the rest of the world into chaos and death. Instead of controlling their own population growth and restraining resources consumed, the perfect society choses to sterilize African women, sponsor neo-Nazi revolutions in Europe, bomb prosperous Middle Eastern countries...

Uh, sorry, the striked - they do it throw homosexualization.

19. Agent327

Agent327 Observer