Dainiji Sekai Taisen

kobayashi

Deity
The folks over at Apolyton have been building a TOT scenario about the Pacific War from Japan's perspective. Having no TOT myself, I have decided to cobble together my own MGE scenario, starting in 1937.

In breaking with the Kobi tradition of using new Hi-res graphics, I will be using all the 'fairline type' graphics they gathered (basically because since I shifted to Windows XP, my Adobe Photoshop stopped working).

Tribes:

Japan
Japan 2
Allied East
Allied West
Other Europeans
Others
Chinese
Chinese 2 (Barbarinas)

off the top of my head here are some info/stuff I would like contributed

1. Unit graphic of Vosper Torpedo Boats
2. What kind of Japanese fighters were being used in China in 1937 (Chinese and Japanese)?
3. What British Naval units were operating in the Indian Ocean after Repulse and Prince of Wales were sunk?

Any questions, ideas etc. post here please.

Im pretty sure the Japs were using Mitsubishi Ki-21 and G3M1 bombers, the reconnaissance aircraft Ki-15, shipboard bomber B5N1 and shipboard fighter A5M1 (Type 96) and the A5M fighter in China around 1937.

kobayashi said:
In breaking with the Kobi tradition of using new Hi-res graphics, I will be using all the 'fairline type' graphics they gathered (basically because since I shifted to Windows XP, my Adobe Photoshop stopped working).

:eek: You'll be saying hell has frozen over next (just joking) ;)

Well, in a spirit of reconcilliation, please accept the Nate Ni-27 pic below. :)

I believe these fighters were being used by the Japanese against the Chinese in the '30's. It's an old icon I drew a couple of years ago for Techumseh. I don't think he'll mind if you want to use it, should you choose to do so.

Attachments

• fairline Nate gif.gif
    fairline Nate gif.gif
    1.6 KB · Views: 242
well, here are some ww2 japanese units :mischief:
including what is in my opinion the best d3a ever made, ;)

Attachments

• ww2jap.GIF
    ww2jap.GIF
    59.3 KB · Views: 264
China
the KMT will be resupplied with US units unless Burma is captured.

Pearl Harbour
This will be unit and it will be optional to attack it. If some U.S. unit is attacked it becomes obsolete and will be disbanded, removing the option to attack it. If it is destroyed, it will render all older U.S. battleships obsolete and they will be disbanded. However, it will also allow the U.S. to research new units faster and some wonders.

Trade
Japanese 'resource' units will spawn randomly in enemy objective cities. These 'resource' units are actually low attack amphibious units which the player must ship back to japan to attack two Japan2 (a second tribe) cities which in turn will spawn some high cost 'materials' units in Japanese cities. The 'material' units can be disbanded in Japan to build ships or shipped to island outposts to build fortifications and such. As the production of cities will be low, this becomes essential.

Winning
Negotiations will be enabled between some tribes BUT with the exchange tech OK button removed. Japan wins if it is able to control X number of objective cities and then negotiate peace with the Allies.

Research
There will be a full tech tree and production will need to be converted to science to research items as Japan will be very poor.

Negotiations will be enabled between some tribes BUT with the exchange tech OK button removed.

I never thought of that. Great idea :)

I am thinking to use a new way to randomly spawn units. I want the U.S. AI to get free Essex carriers once every few turns and I want to only start doing this mid-game. This led to the following 'trick'.

One limitation of the MGE event language is the inability to combine different discrete commands. However, it is possible to fine a work-around by combining 'random intervals' with 'if tech discovered'

1. Randomly change (1 in 5 chance per turn) a terrain to ocean.
2. Randomly change (1 in 3 chance per turn) the same terrain square to grassland.
3. Keeping in mind the fact that sea units cannot spawn on land and vice versa, if you combine the above with a 'spawn when tech discovered', you effectively reduce the frequency of the spawning from every turn to every few turns.

BKA said:
Shame that you are not using high-res anymore.

Yes I must agree, I always like to give my scenarios a fresh look. But I currently don't have the means to make the Hi-Res units myself. All other hallmarks of ZWK remian though, including limited negotiations, a full tech tree and freedom to deviate from historical events. Maybe for the next version I will find some software that can do scaling properly.

Perhaps down the road you guys could make a scenario that has the best hand-drawn and best high-res units that you could find, of course that would require a lot of time and effort finding good pics that scale down nicely, :goodjob:
personally i would like to see the best high-res units ever made compared with the best hand-drawn units made and have a debate about it somewhere, :mischief:

Broken_Erika said:
personally i would like to see the best high-res units ever made compared with the best hand-drawn units made and have a debate about it somewhere, :mischief:

That has happened before and there was a thread displaying hi-res graphics but the moderator did not want to make it a sticky thread like the 'isometric' units thread. I've bumped up the thread for you.

see also the closed 'anti-nemo graphics association' thread containing many heated and abusive arguements over the topic

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=41440&page=3&pp=30

Also, have a look at my WWII units collection in the downloads section. Also there is a methodology by myself on how to make Hi-Res units in the reference section.

Keep working kobayashi, I can't wait to play it :goodjob:

some pacific Aircraft

Attachments

• pacplanes.GIF
    pacplanes.GIF
    6 KB · Views: 195
and a cheeseload of infantry and tanks :D

Attachments

• infntnks.GIF
    infntnks.GIF
    82.1 KB · Views: 170
Top Bottom