1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Dais of the Eagle

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Game of the Month' started by Zachriel, Dec 8, 2002.

1. Zachriel

Zachriel Kaiser

Aztec
    Dais of the Eagle

The battlefield is the place . . .
    where princes are smashed to bits.

http://www.zachriel.com/gotm13/

Recommended 1024x768 or better resolution
    Rated Mature for Gratuitous and Senseless Violence
    Requires 3-5 minutes per web page

2. cracker

cracker Gil Favor's Sidekick

I was secretly hoping for the title "Montezuma's Revenge" but have really been anticpating your summary of last month's carnage in your own special style.

Congrats on a game well played and thanks for continuing to lead contributions to enjoyable play of "The GOTM".

3. Zachriel

Zachriel Kaiser

:lol: Montezuma gets his revenge at the end of the Second Zulu War when Queen Cleopatra and Shaka Zulu "abdicate".

http://www.zachriel.com/gotm13/bc1325-Wars.htm

I appreciate everyone's comments, especially when directed to the game itself (though I don't mind an occassional pat on the back or someone letting me know I misspelled "Popocatépetl" ;) ). I can't promise a game-story every month. I haven't even started the new gotm, yet. :blush:

If the server is real busy, some graphics may not load. If so, just try later. My server gets hit pretty hard when the game-story first goes on line. :eek:

4. zagnut

zagnut Monarch

I have enjoyed your summaries in the past. This one does not disappoint.

I have a question about your style of play. You obviously believe in overwhelming force. While I don't usually build as many military units as you do I also understand the value of large stacks of combined arms. Do you build most of the military units in your core cities? Do you spend a lot of time building infastucture or do you concentrate mainly on pumping out military units? It would seem to me with the large stacks you have that you must have sacrificed infastructure, but maybe not. I see from some of the screens that you posted that you build Temples and Cathedrals. I'm just curious about whether you usually stop after the basic improvement and then just go for military units.

I played this GOTM and won a domination victory in 1750. I didn't discover the Eastern Continent until about 1300 and then concentrated on a military victory. But I never had the overwhelming forces that you display.

5. Zachriel

Zachriel Kaiser

Nearly every city on the Western Continent is fully developed. The Colonies in the Northern Isles are nearly completely improved. The Roman territory is about half developed. Here is the production for Persepolis, Xerxes' former capital. Note that corruption is quite manageable.

Every single improvement in Persepolis has been completed, except the Recycling Center which was just invented.

The people are happy and productive, Persians and Aztec living and working together.

I try to play each game "organically", that is, the play developing from the position. In this case, I think a Culture Victory for the Aztecs was appropriate. For me, the Conquest/Domination Victory is the least natural. The outer reaches of the World offer only a few beads and spices, hardly worth the bother, unless of course, they offer a military threat.

My general attack strategy is inexorable; with heavy bombardment to weaken the defenders, and strong defenders to hold the hard-fought gains. Standard Tank attacks are almost too easy (though a good game of Blitz the AI can be fun). In a "problem" game, these techniques can maximize your fighting potential. Here's an example with Pike providing the advantage (rather than the typical mounted units).
    http://www.zachriel.com/gotm9/ad0570-Pike.htm

Great game. 1750! I was slow on ocean expansion, too; but I was quite busy consolidating my conquests at home. :D

6. zagnut

zagnut Monarch

Thanks for the detailed reply. With fully developed cities and such a strong military I am glad I am not playing against you!

7. alamo

alamo bang!

Zachriel - some of the links weren't working for me. Please check your site.

For example, the first 'Next' button gave me a 404.

8. Zachriel

Zachriel Kaiser

The links are alright, but the server is under considerable stress. Just refresh, increase your browser's timeout interval, or try again later. (Sorry for the inconvenience.)

:D

9. Moonsinger

Moonsinger Settler Retired Moderator

To Zachriel:

As always, I enjoy your story telling and looking forward to the next one. I wish I have your creativity to breathe life into the story. Well done!:goodjob: May I ask what you are doing for a living in real life? You don't have to answer that question if you don't want to (or if you don't want anyone else but me to know, just PM me).

10. Skyfish

Skyfish Emperor

Great Story as usual !
    I especially like it since our playing style seem to be similar : i.e. have a strong culture and infrastucture while also maintaining a good military.
    I am still curious to know when did you reach your cultural victory though...I guess I'll have to wait for the results (;-)
    As for Moonsinger's question I always suspected you are the musician of Moods in Music no ? AHHAHA

11. Spidoinkel

Spidoinkel Chieftain

I dont play GOTM (im not good enough) but i love your gotm walkthroughs, they are incredibly entertaining and also informative. The only thing id like to request is that you write more :p sometimes you say "we have declared war on france" and in the next shot the french are no more but other then that. You da man, your the best gotm player by FAR :)

12. Plexus

Plexus Architeuthidae puericomedentis

Zachriel, I really love your GOTM stories, they are the best out there by far! :D

13. Walla28

Walla28 Chieftain

Thanks for the story, it was excellent. You certainly brought your game to life. Thanks for all your hard work. :)

14. Zachriel

Zachriel Kaiser

Here's a little more detail on the First Zulu War.

http://www.zachriel.com/gotm13/firstzuluwar.htm

15. Zachriel

Zachriel Kaiser

I'm a Renaissance Man. Plenty of benefits, but the pay isn't too good.

16. Zachriel

Zachriel Kaiser

Actually, the date is part of the webpage address,

http://www.zachriel.com/gotm13/ad1892-Future.htm
    (ad1892)

(Sorry for the delay in responding. I've been, well . . . playing Civ3 -- I, Hammurabi.)