Damage per turn, AI and route evaluation

Blitzconfusion

Chieftain
Hi. As this mod is de facto only way I ever even play civ anymore, this is my question for AI behavior specifics.

I intend to alter Jungles to cause 3% damage per turn (as in xml damageperturn, animals would have March). Fall-out would cause 12% damage per turn. However, does anyone know whether or not AI will comprehend how this works, avoiding these pitfalls:
1: Will AI evaluate this when planning where to move troops?
2: Will AI waste every other turn in Jungle Area healing instead of getting out first in presence of no immediate threaths?
Further, When giving a unit destination, will the game prefer Forests over Jungles when calculating route to take?

PS. I also intend to make a feature, that always spawns on Peaks (having move cost 3 and 35% damage per turn, +75% defense). Then I would make (unitinfo xml) Melee, Archer, Gunpowder and Explorer types and War Elephants capable to use peaks. Now, basically the same question: Would AI know to avoid Peaks when there is no benefit in doing so, or would high feature defence lure them like moths to flame, and they would heal themselves to death on said peak. Also the same for route planner.

PPS: Does damage per turn affect workers or Settlers? Hope not.

I haven't done any testing with damage per turn, but I can tell you that there are a few parts of the AI that do at least consider it. In particular, AI stacks won't try to heal on a damaging plot, and the pathfinder will try to avoid ending turn on a damaging plot.

But I wouldn't count on the AI being really smart about it, because in most places it isn't taken into account. For example, I don't think the AI would take it into account when deciding which plot to bombard a city from, and so they might well be hurting themselves on a damaging plot while they are bombarding.

Although the pathfinder does take it into account, I'm not sure if it has the right weight. i.e., maybe the AI only cares about the damage a tiny bit, or maybe it cares too much. I'm not sure, because I haven't given it a lot of thought and I've never tested it.

Thank you, karadoc, for taking time to answer my question personally. This was indeed helpful. Now I just have to test and find out whether or not AI gets wonky because of the cluster---k that are passable Peaks for some unittypes beyond Helicopter units (does it affect the way AI uses scouts and so on). Seriously, why put peaks in Terrain if altering their xml values does nothing and they just spawn on terrain 0 as graphic.

But I am rambling, thank you for your answer again.

Top Bottom