1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

damn these new maps!

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by montalaar, Feb 14, 2019.

1. montalaar

montalaar Chieftain

as if with these stupid lakes on pagea maps was not enough, now we have increased amount of mountains and other "features".
    started play as hungary. pangea, standart size. of all maps i generated up to 40% of tiles were unusable. lakes, mountains, deserts, "features". just great!

i wish id make screenshot, but one of maps of hungary starting position was settler on shore of 4 tile lake, after one tile to east was river, other side of river ALL mountains, other side of lake ALL desert. so, i would have city on lake with 4 workable tiles, few hills with jungle on west side of river and mountains block all east riverside. atrocious starts. oh, and geysers were somewhere. its absurd.

now mods are only option to play. sad, very sad.

2. ExemplarVoss

ExemplarVoss Chieftain

Hmm. I like seeing lakes and mountains on maps.

Jungle hills are usually decent starting tiles and can be chopped and mined later, so don't see a problem there.

3. Chefofrats

Chefofrats Chieftain

I actually got a very good spot for my capital on my very first try in GS, and there were plenty more good sites for cities further out. The world looks much more natural and realistic with more mountain ranges and terrain features.

4. montalaar

montalaar Chieftain

it is ok, if few tiles would be unusable. but if around third and it is pangea, then no.

plus it is hungary. with its ability to reduce district cost on other shore of river. and there is no such thing, despite there is a river.

rolled like 20 maps. one finally was acceptable.

5. Onii-chan

Onii-chan Chieftain

Eh I think the new map generation is brilliant. Feels so much more dynamic and interesting compared to the old maps that kinda ended up feeling same-y a lot of the time

The only map of GS I've played thus far immediately had this crazy mountain ridge creating a whole subsection of a continent to the east that was locked away from the south until I got tunnels, mixed in with the new tectonic activity and volcanoes and whatnot it's pretty interesting

6. Cerilis

Cerilis Not Warlord

I like mine. I control both ways over the continent separating mountain range :D

7. montalaar

montalaar Chieftain

and why the hell switch buttons of acceptance and decling? why???

8. UWHabs

UWHabs Warlord

To me, that's a beautiful map. And with tunnels opening up the map for late game, it makes all the areas actually usable.

9. ehecatzin

ehecatzin Chieftain

I've still yet to play it, but from what I've seen, the new map generation looks awesome. Makes me hopefull that we could someday get a couple more biomes (savannah and mangroves), waterfalls, deltas and navigatable rivers.

Alexadamz and Elhoim like this.
  10. Onii-chan

Onii-chan Chieftain

Yeah exactly, it feels a lot more unique and dynamic this way

11. djvandyke

djvandyke Chieftain

The new maps are fantastic.

Quintus of Mund likes this.
  12. montalaar

montalaar Chieftain

sure, its all nice and dandy, but map generator tries to squeeze these features in too few tiles. one city can have desert in northern tiles and tundra on southern. mix in all mountains, jungles and whatever and i do not see how dropping so many different terrains in one city perimeter makes maps more natural.

got finally nice map, made globe old, so have less mountains, but! now literally all my rivers are floodplains. all of them. every single river. how is that natural? and mind you, it is hungary.

13. djvandyke

djvandyke Chieftain

Less mountains? are you a flat earther?

Kjimmet, Rup, Elhoim and 1 other person like this.
  14. Shorlin

Shorlin Chieftain

They are great for simcity. Unfortunately when it comes to difficulty they given an even greater advantage to the human. I still prefer them to the bland old maps though.

15. Elhoim

Elhoim Iron Tower Studio Dev

Well, it's the classic dichotomy between the players who admire the maps for the exploration, visuals and narrative, or the ones who see them as a backdrop for the important thing: the yields. I'm more of the former, though, so the maps are great for me.

16. ExemplarVoss

ExemplarVoss Chieftain

I can't parse your categories. I like maps for exploration and yields. 'Civ' and 'narrative' don't sound like related concepts.

Victoria likes this.
  17. rastak

rastak Chieftain

I'll add my two cents, I think the new maps are also brilliant. Outstanding job Firaxis!

18. Red_warning

Red_warning Chieftain

I love the new maps as well, looks way more natural this way and provides some interesting choices.

19. anandus

anandus Errorist

I really love the new map generator, I think it creates great maps :)

20. Wizard-Bob

Wizard-Bob Always remember to Find Your FUN!

More :goodjob::thumbsup::goodjob: for the new maps!

ChocolateShake likes this.