[GS] Dams/Flooding video

I know, but they fill a spot on map, and that is not that good. That is what I meant.
They've been padded out to fulfill a function. If housing and amenities matter, then dams matter. If they don't, then that's less a problem with dams than something more fundamental, and begs the question of what does matter enough to make something worth a tile.

I don't know. The district increased housing and, oddly enough, amenities, so perhaps something along the lines of a marina for more amenities?
Yeah, to some degree there's contrivance. Dams provide amenities because people like to come take postcard snapshots of them or something? They're happier at the prospect of not being flooded? I dunno. The way rivers work in Civ, they don't really suit themselves to representing reservoirs or a means for making land more available for use. Certainly you don't build dams just to prevent some random event that only happens centuries apart, if ever.

It'll be interesting to see if people try to use Liang to play some kind of meteorological shell game.

happier at the prospect of not being flooded?

Wouldn't you be happier at the prospect of not being flooded?

Maybe they were thinking dams are good tourist attractions in later times like the dam near where I live. But then that should provide tourism, not amenities. Either way, It seems like a sensible incentive to build them, at least in some situations.

Also wanted to mention the restriction of one dam per river. The river near where I live has at least 4 dams on it that I know of. I know they did it for gameplay purposes, but I had to point that out. (edit: It's actually more when including irrigation dams- it turns out there are 15 dams on my river, wow)

Last edited:
Seeing as the neighbourhood only gets 1 (of 2) buildings. I doubt we will have any other buildings in the dam district other then the Hydroelectric dam/power-plant.

Oddly enough, I am hoping they increase the total number of buildings a Neighbourhood can have. Maybe a Park (Amenity) or Police Station (reduced risk of spy attacks) or Public Transport (Amenity) or Freeways (-Amenity, bonus gold) that kind of thing.

More city center buidlings are desperately needed too.

Police Station (reduced risk of spy attacks)
I think this is more suited to +2 local amenities, happiness comes in seeing a man with a large helmet.
upload_2019-1-9_1-13-39.png

Wouldn't you be happier at the prospect of not being flooded?

Maybe they were thinking dams are good tourist attractions in later times like the dam near where I live. But then that should provide tourism, not amenities. Either way, It seems like a sensible incentive to build them, at least in some situations.

Also wanted to mention the restriction of one dam per river. The river near where I live has at least 4 dams on it that I know of. I know they did it for gameplay purposes, but I had to point that out. (edit: It's actually more when including irrigation dams)

IIRC it is one dam per floodplain area. Obviously there is code to work out what constitutes an area of certain terrain (see the naming of deserts etc.), so that will be used to determine how many dams a river can have as well.

Oddly enough, I am hoping they increase the total number of buildings a Neighbourhood can have. Maybe a Park (Amenity) or Police Station (reduced risk of spy attacks) or Public Transport (Amenity) or Freeways (-Amenity, bonus gold) that kind of thing.

I've always felt the Neighborhood would be a perfect place for buildings that boost yields based on the city's population. A public school, for example, could increase science by .5 for each citizen in the city.

I've always felt the Neighborhood would be a perfect place for buildings that boost yields based on the city's population. A public school, for example, could increase science by .5 for each citizen in the city.

That also makes sense :).

It also would add an interesting mechanic into the game (or actually emphasize it, as this feature is already implemented):
A "repeatable" district with only one possible building instead of single districts with a building hierarchy: food market OR shopping mall OR public school in one district, but potentially three neighborhoods in a city with one of those buildings each.

Top Bottom