dancing naked through the trees...

minger

Warlord
I missed the personality that was present in SMAC diplomacy. Even though the model of diplomacy was a simple as all other civ games, the rhetoric and the personality that was infused in the diplomatic dialogue was great fun. Especially when you had civics choices that conflicted with other civs, etc.. I hope this comes back.

In civ 3, the unique civ-dialogue for the expansion civs in Civ 3 were MUCH better than the original Civ 3 civs.

Civ 3 had unique civ-specific dialogue, whereas SMAC had unique descriptive phrases attributed to each faction; i hope this can be combined and expanded.

I agree, I hope Civ 4 has diplomacy more like SMAC.

I wouldn't be surprised though if it is like SMAC, they did say the leaders will have their own personalities, and they also seem to be working in a few other SMAC concepts, like the government system.

One thing that really rocked about the SMAX diplomatic system is that you could demand that other powers 'serve' you. This is often better (and often more realistic) than having to actually physically take over the administration of political entities in question. It would also be much cooler in MP, as defeated players could stay in the game by offering to become vassals or satellite states of their aggressor before they are totally wiped out. I remember when I was a kid, we used to play risk this way, and it really added to the fun.

Well, that comment about a certain Egyptian Queen Getting 'frisky' with you during negotiations (from the WorthPlaying Review) seems to suggest that each civ leader will have a very distinct behaviour in the game (for instance, we know that the Chinese Emporer is going to be very 'Inscrutable' in Diplomacy-wheras Caesar will let his feelings known with either a 'Thumbs Up' or a 'Thumbs Down'.)
I, too, hope that Civ4 diplomacy will have the ability to force civs into 'Vassalage' agreements. Given that other SMAC features (like an ability to pressure civs to end a war with a 3rd party, or to pressure them to go to war with a 3rd party-oh and Civics of course) are in the game, I think the odds are fairly good that this feature will be in too.

Yours,
Aussie_Lurker.

i sure hope you are right. when i first played smac..i thought..wow..if they improve on this for civ3...the game will be incredible.....hmmm..looks more like civ4 is going to be what civ3 could have been.

is it wrong to like the thread title more then the thread? :mischief:

It is.
Also, your shift key appears to be malfunctioning.

sorry guys, what is "SMAC" ?

Sid Myers Alpha Centauri

dont feel bad, I've never played it either ;)

Top Bottom