1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

DaNES II: When the Stars Fall

Discussion in 'Never Ending Stories' started by Dachs, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Kraznaya

Kraznaya Princeps

Haha "agree not to influence it" what does this even mean?

2. spryllino

spryllino Deity

OOC: They have to do it by proxy of the Amphilochians, Chaonians, Egyptians or Mysians instead.

Moreover, who's the Boiotian basileus and why should the Aitolians agree to the treaty?

3. Dachs

Dachs Hero of the Soviet Union

Since when can the Perseids force the Ruxsalannoi to do anything they don't want to? They had to pay them to induce them to seek more money. Might as well combined military strength for the purposes of armed bargaining power as opposed to blandishments from Syria.
    Quite. It's pro forma more than anything else
    Presumably a local Theban notable with no obvious connections to either side, on whom both the Perseids and the Maks can agree?
    The "League" is a military construct, and the only person totally invested in its existence is being bribed off. Under Chaonian rule, the whole region was one entity, governed from Ambrakia. Makes sense to reintegrate the whole thing.

4. Perfectionist

Perfectionist Angel of Verdun

FROM: Aethelric, Dryhten of the Rygi, the Kimbri and the Rondings
    TO: Kings of Aeron, Corieltauvi and Rheged

I wish to assure you that I bear you no particular ill will, and desire only good relations with you in the future. I have tried to ensure that Cambria will not interfere with your kingdoms for the immediate future; for my part, although I support any plans for the formation of a northern league that you may have, I will likewise not interfere.

5. Karalysia

Karalysia Deity

Good update. Still not entirely sure where the Qypchaqs came from. Whatever its of no importance.

6. The Strategos

The Strategos Thanatos

To: Hunmo of the Houqin

All nations and peoples under Heaven have been placed in our hands by the Heavens. To each tribe and people we gave a prince, so that they might prosper and lift their voices to praise our name. But instead of praises, all we hear from your peoples are the death cries of our loyal subjects, who we had entrusted to you. O foolish man, did you think that we were blind? Did you in your pride forget one stands above you just as the mighty mountains stand over the humble plains? In our bountiful mercy we gave you time to correct your failings. But the thread of mercy is now cut. We will stop up our ears to your pleas. From henceforth you, Hunmo, are stripped of your title of “Prince of the Houqin” and sentenced to perpetual exile.

To: Tuqi of the Right

The unjust stewardship of Hunmo has led to our displeasure and the displeasure of Heaven. As such, we have removed him from his position and hereby grant you the stewardship of the Houqin and the right to be addressed as “Prince of the Houqin.” If there exists rebels inside your lands who wish to fight against Heaven’s decree, make it known to us, so that we might grant you the aide you need to ensure your people live in peace and justice under Heaven’s loving gaze.

7. Thlayli

Thlayli Le Pétit Prince

OOC: Not very good, but something to pass the time.

---

"In each of us, two natures are at war – the good and the evil."

-Robert L. Stevenson, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

---

The leitor stood with his back to the flames, gaunt and thin, black robe clinging to his body. Fearsome smoke rose, swirling about every object. There were men everywhere, screaming and shouting, and I remember the wind whipping through the priest's black hair. These things are burned into my memory. The horse-lord's beast broke into a canter, hooves trampling the ground. He drew his sword, bellowing a word in Greek. "YIELD!"

The leitor half turned to look at me, reflected flames of the burning temple flickering in his eyes. "Run," he screeched. I stood there, clutching my mother's cup, the one from her wedding. He stretched out his arms, like a father about to snatch up his young child running through the long grass. I could not see his face, but I imagine he smiled.

This time had been given over to demons.

The rider's sword sliced through the leitor's neck. Blood sprayed into my open mouth and across my clothes. I must have run forward, because the iron-shod hooves of the beast reared, kicking me in the chest. The headless corpse slumped to its knees, as the decapitated head of the leitor fell backwards to land in the dirt. I had fallen, and my head hurt. It was the last thing I saw or felt for some time. I awoke, some time later, to the taste of smoke in my mouth, and the leitor's sightless eyes staring into my own. They were green. Just as I had thought, he was smiling.

That was the burning of Kipranon. I was either four or five.

---

"Leitor, Leitor!" The children tugged at my robe, smiling and shouting. They were beautiful children, dirty after hours playing in the road, but they would be washed. They all had parents that cared for them. I shooed them kindly away, then brushed the dirt off my sandals before entering the holy sanctuary. I performed the entrance ritual, bowing to each of the four corners of the world, and finally to the Holy Presence around which the tholos was built. A single beam of light shone in from outside, illuminating the central statue of Sophia.

This perfect sanctuary. The rush of inner peace filled my spirit, in a way that seemed new and fresh every time, though this sight never failed to transfix me with its beauty.

On either side, the acolytes began to file in behind me, chanting the holy rite of the ritual of cleansing. I remained prostrate while they circled the outer ring of the structure. How long had I waited for this moment? Perhaps since I had stared into the gutted ruins of the old temple, more than twenty years before. Since I had wept to lose the mother and father who had loved me. But I wept far more for the leitor, whose name I did not even know, the man whose blood covered my body, whose blood paid for my life.

Silent sobs wracked my body, as I remained prostrate before the statue. She is waiting, I thought. She has been waiting all this time. I stood, slowly, straightening my body, which had grown as tall and gaunt as the man whom I now tried to replace. A frail temple of wood, now replaced with a ring of stone.

"And by the grace of her hand came the first tree, and the first spring of water. And so all things were made new, a virgin world made of the virgin goddess."

With a roar, the timbers collapsed, my home left to the flames, my mother never to emerge from that raging inferno.

"So did she take the essence of her own self to make all that was good. Of her body came the world, and of her mind, came the mind of man."

My father, holding a spear for the first time in his life, a ragged line of townspeople obliterated by a charge of heavy horse. I could not find him among the bodies.

"In you is newness, for you are the spring and the olive branch, the generative, the ultimate. We ask that you make new again your holy sanctuary."

Everything I had ever known, lost, destroyed...

I took olive oil, and drew the holy sigma upon the statue's marble forehead.

"In your name, Hagia Sophia, this temple at Kipranon is made anew."

8. nutranurse

nutranurse Unlikeliest of Slash Fics

Expressing interest in the Kingdom of Aigyptos. Am going over the entire history of this thing so I can get my bearings!

9. Cannae

Cannae Philosophy of Poverty

Visigoth Facts and Statistics
    5 Sacred Animals: Boar, Wolverine, Dog, Falcon, and the Horse
    Sacred Tree: Willow Tree
    Sacred Materials: Gold, Amber, and Jade
    5 Main Exports: Slaves, Amber, Furs, Timber, and Gold
    3 Main Imports: Ivory, Silk, Jade, Dyes
    Main Food Sources: Rabbits, Deer, Berries, Boars, Fish, Birds, and Crops in more permanently settled areas.
    Clothing Material: For the poor, basic fur coats and trousers are used and for the wealthier or higher up noblemen, they use a combination of silk, dyes, and cloth.
    Building Styles: Mobile Yurts and Tents for the nomadic migrants, while the more sedimentary houses are made of turf (and/or timber or stone for the buildings of higher importance.)

10. Dachs

sweet
    loltransparent
    The Maks are down with that janx. Chaonians aren't signing...yet...
    Deal
    You're a pretty cool guy for doing that :)
    Sweet, you know where to find me if you've got questions.
    Um. Dunno where you guys are getting jade in any appreciable amounts (or any of the other luxuries tbh), where these "visi"goths came from, and stuff. But...okay?

11. nutranurse

Yeah, I may hold off until I get back from my mini-vacation going on from the 14th till the 24th. I really would love to play, however, I don't think it's fair to any of you guys for me to hop in and then just kind of disappear for a few weeks.

12. Reno

Reno The Studio Ghibli Fanatic

Then I hope you don't mind too much if I were to take Aigyptos?

13. nutranurse

No, I would mind. A lot.

14. Ninja Dude

Ninja Dude Sorry, I wasn't listening...

Joining as the Qypchaq Qaganate. Huzzah I guess.

15. Theige

Theige American Baron

I would like to know why I am not allowed to reclaim the Makedonians, besides "mod decision."

16. Dachs

You got yourself killed and replaced, and I don't trust you to play in character, and you didn't do anything of redeeming value like foolish icarus, who at least was funny about the way his country died.

17. Theige

Theige American Baron

My leader died because I was attacked by all 4 nations that border my own. My country isn't dead, and is in a better position than it was 1 update ago. I don't see what is out of character about an authoritarian king refusing to make peace, especially after losing arguably the most important city on the planet.

Also, is a relative of my king not now in power, at least nominally?

As for not being funny, I can work a few jokes into my orders and my diplomacy if that is now a requirement for playing in DaNES.

18. Dachs

Theige, we've been over every single word of this before, and I'm not changing my mind. Stop nagging me about it.

19. Lord of Elves

Lord of Elves Suede-Denim Secret Police

Cambric Confederation open by any chance?

20. Dachs

Yeah, it is. If you want it, go for it. PM me if you've got questions.