Danmacsch's (Damasc's) civilizations

Just out of curiosity, why'd you end up going for the in-game text as "Imerina" instead of "Madagascar"/"Malagasy"? It's not wrong or anything, I'm just curious since it seemed like either would have worked in context and the promotional banner uses Madagascar.

Well, we did talk about it a bunch. We agreed on going with "Madagascar" for the name of the mod in the workshop + promotional infographics door recognizability and "Imerina" in game for historical accuracy. :)

Updated: DMS' Civilizations - Denmark (Valdemar II)
  • JFDLC support: UB change: Additionally, it provides +2 Faith per turn and a one-time +2 Piety for enemy Units killed nearby. So UB with JFDLC also provides Piety.
  • Art: Slightly enlarged the alpha icon.
  • Decisions: Changed Decisions text to JFD’s formatting.
  • Decisions: Dropped the Missionary spawn of the Castrum Danorum Decision.
  • Decisions: Castrum Danorum decision now costs Captain resources instead of Magistrates with JFDLC.
  • Decisions: Tweaked costs and requirements and generally updated the code of decisions.
  • Misc: Removed internal support for JFD’s TopPanel thing.
  • Misc: Text: Added 10 more cities - bc reasons.
  • Events: Disabled Events and added to DMS’ Events mod instead. They can easily be reactivated in the UserSettings file if one wishes to stick with Sukritact’s Events.
Updated: DMS' Civilizations - Corsica (Pasquale Paoli)
  • JFDLC support: UA: Receive Captains also when expending Great Generals for Citadels.
  • Decisions: If playing with JFDLC, the General Massa decision will now cost Captains instead of Magistrates.
  • Decisions: Massa Decision is now enactable when no Barbarian Units are within your borders (bonus is still increased if there are however).
  • Decisions: Change Decisions text to JFD’s formatting.
  • UU: Admirals increase the damage dealt by the UU now as well (in addition to Generals as before).
  • Misc: Generally updated code.
  • Misc: Removed internal support for JFD’s TopPanel thing.
  • Art: Fixed map so it’s not clipping in the civ selection menu.
  • Events: Disabled Events and added to DMS’ Events mod instead. They can easily be reactivated in the UserSettings file if one wishes to stick with Sukritact’s Events.

I've just finished a game as Sardus and I want to talk about it (and I think this is a good place). I played against other civs of yours and it was quite swell. The Nuraghians fit my usual defensive style well and I managed to live without wars for the majority of the game. Nuraghe is a great UB and it fits well with the culture. I liked suggestion to move it to mining as in it probably would alter my usual strategy, but it works well as it is now. UA's in my opinion unnecessary complicated, but it suggests the path you should take with nurs well.
My biggest struggle with the civ were texts tbh. The pedia entry looked a lot like the article on wikipedia and it highlighted same things. I find it slightly lazy as there are certainly better sources. And the rest of nurs' texts seems unpolished too. Like the introduction:
Introduction: "Welcome to the islands of Sardegna. You stand before the greatest hero of the Nuraghians, Sardus. State your business - and fast if you value your life."
I haven't played against nurs yet, but this is little forced even written.
Ipogeo could have a better model.
But I enjoyed my time with them and the design is good. It gives them an identity, which is quite difficult as they were more of a culture than a civ. And What I like the best is that It brought my attention to nurs. I was glad to learn something about them, Sardinia (if you're migrating to Civ VI, please consider making Guidicato of Arborea) and I even started thinking about visiting the island in the summer.
The new logo is great too. It simpler than the old one and it captures the antiquity of the civ better by my reckoning.
And one lore questions: Wouldn't it better to call them Illienses?

The same could be said about some of your other civs. I'm really enjoying reading about some of these obscure realms. Madagascar, Araucanía y Patagonia...
My favourites are:
Nurs - I like old Civs and they fit my style
Burundi - playing against it was quite frustrating as it was able to rush wonders by sacrificing workers. I loved it. The civ would deserve a new democracy screen.
Kalinago - in this case the leader screen is very pleasant and so are their colours. Caribs being an agressive, yet not really expansive civ is appropriate too. Another good civ to play against.
Araucanía and Patagonia - I think the idea is super clever and I love having such an obscure civ in my games.
Kasanje - I tried to play as Tartaross and they attacked me super soon with Gonzo taking over my second city single-handedly. Both their uus and ua are interesting and change the style you play the game.
Madagascar - My next game will be with them. They made me interested in Imerina, they got great colours and ui is very intriguing. I'll report on the kingdom once I'm finished.
Kanen-Bornu - I love their democracy screen and music. Their uniques make them a very compact civ, which could be used for any type of victory..
Tartessos - UU is a game-changer. UB is making it worse champa, but it fits the theme well. The civ's well suited for wide happy empire, so not really my style.

Spoiler :
I've just finished a game as Sardus and I want to talk about it (and I think this is a good place). I played against other civs of yours and it was quite swell. The Nuraghians fit my usual defensive style well and I managed to live without wars for the majority of the game. Nuraghe is a great UB and it fits well with the culture. I liked suggestion to move it to mining as in it probably would alter my usual strategy, but it works well as it is now. UA's in my opinion unnecessary complicated, but it suggests the path you should take with nurs well.
My biggest struggle with the civ were texts tbh. The pedia entry looked a lot like the article on wikipedia and it highlighted same things. I find it slightly lazy as there are certainly better sources. And the rest of nurs' texts seems unpolished too. Like the introduction:

I haven't played against nurs yet, but this is little forced even written.
Ipogeo could have a better model.
But I enjoyed my time with them and the design is good. It gives them an identity, which is quite difficult as they were more of a culture than a civ. And What I like the best is that It brought my attention to nurs. I was glad to learn something about them, Sardinia (if you're migrating to Civ VI, please consider making Guidicato of Arborea) and I even started thinking about visiting the island in the summer.
The new logo is great too. It simpler than the old one and it captures the antiquity of the civ better by my reckoning.
And one lore questions: Wouldn't it better to call them Illienses?

The same could be said about some of your other civs. I'm really enjoying reading about some of these obscure realms. Madagascar, Araucanía y Patagonia...
My favourites are:
Nurs - I like old Civs and they fit my style
Burundi - playing against it was quite frustrating as it was able to rush wonders by sacrificing workers. I loved it. The civ would deserve a new democracy screen.
Kalinago - in this case the leader screen is very pleasant and so are their colours. Caribs being an agressive, yet not really expansive civ is appropriate too. Another good civ to play against.
Araucanía and Patagonia - I think the idea is super clever and I love having such an obscure civ in my games.
Kasanje - I tried to play as Tartaross and they attacked me super soon with Gonzo taking over my second city single-handedly. Both their uus and ua are interesting and change the style you play the game.
Madagascar - My next game will be with them. They made me interested in Imerina, they got great colours and ui is very intriguing. I'll report on the kingdom once I'm finished.
Kanen-Bornu - I love their democracy screen and music. Their uniques make them a very compact civ, which could be used for any type of victory..
Tartessos - UU is a game-changer. UB is making it worse champa, but it fits the theme well. The civ's well suited for wide happy empire, so not really my style.

I am happy you enjoyed playing with the civ :) I definitely agree that the pedias are somewhat lazily done. Yes, they are mostly copied from wikipedia, and yes, with very little attempt to match the style of the game. This is unfortunate indeed, but unfortunately I do not presently have time to sit down and go through a bunch of sources just to edit the civilopedia. I hope you can sympathize with that.
And again, thanks for the feedback :).

In other news, I've updated the Ainu released by the Light in the East team. I'll see if I can get COF to upload the new version, but until then, I'll just link to it here!

Changelog:
  • UA: slightly increased the yields of the Unit Essence.
  • UA: Unit Essence is no longer transferred to cities upon upgrading the unit
  • UA: Added clarification to the UA description “yields through essence”. This only applies to military units (after reports on captured settlers and workers not providing yields)
  • UB: Fixed issue where food on domestic Trade Routes was not working.
  • UU: Fixed issue where the UU was neither weaker nor faster than the regular archer, which it says in the unit’s description it should be.
  • UU: Added missing UnitGameplay2DScripts database entry.
  • Misc: Removed rogue unused Promotions added to the database, which likely were a result of a copy-pasted file.
  • Events: Added images to the events. The events are not converted to CP format, but will be when included in my DMS’ Events mod.
  • Decisions: Changed Decisions’ text to JFD’s formatting and added world event notification.

Btw, I've started my game with Madagaskar and checked some other pedia entries (Patagonia, Imerina) and they read a lot better. Also, reading about Imerina is really fascinating. The civ itself is interesting too as you need to plan and think to use its uniques. You benefit from founding a religion and trade routes (for that sweet foreign influence), building a load of spears and sacrificing them later. It's great that the UU is a pikeman replecemt as I they're the best unit of the era but the whole line becomes obsolete for at least 50 turns. This should make the gameplay quite dynamic as you go faith>domination>culture.
Unfortunately, I need to start again. I tried to run the game in wine with events and decisions, but it was quite dreadful.

And I inluded LITE civs in this game and Ainu in particular has some interesting mechanics.

You're doing updates for the Light in the East mods??? :o Obviously this kind of thing is up to what interests you and everything, but if you do an update for the Safavids to refurb their mod support, I would worship you as a god. Hear my plea!

Araucania and Patagonia pedias read better because I actually took care while writing them :p No way to extract the text from wikipedia anyways, too obscure.

Araucania and Patagonia pedias read better because I actually took care while writing them :p No way to extract the text from wikipedia anyways, too obscure.
And you know I really appreciate it Hoop! It certainly brings a layer of quality to the civ that some of my other civs lack, but I just don't have the patience to write all those pedias and when I do, they rarely turn out too well.

Just a small update tbh, nothing fancy:

Updated DMS' Civilizations - Dacians (Burebista)

• UA: Fixed issue where promoting Units caused a lua error if no nearest city could be found.
  • UA: Un-hardcoded the way defensive buildings are handled (thanks to JFD!).
  • Misc: Generally optimised some code and rephrased some abilities.

Updated: DMS' Civilizations (with CL) - Madagascar (Ranavalona I)
  • UA/AI: Fixed issue where the game would CTD when AI-Madagascar expended units on Rovas
  • UA/UI: (hopefully) fixed issue where having two units on a Rova at the same time would cause a CTD.
  • Misc: Adjusted some leader flavours - Ranavalona will now focus ever so slightly less on training units and a slightly bit more on science and growth.
  • Misc: Fixed issue where MCIS icon wouldn’t show the amount of XP granted to units trained in cities under foreign religious pressure.

Thank you for these new civilizations. I have not played CiV since February I think so I have some catching up to do lol lol. Is this a new trend with all these more modern leaders (Tymoshenko, Bokassa, Chávez, Indira Gandhi, Lula, Merkel, and I swear there was one more?) or is it just because you have all run out of interesting more historical leeders lol?

In any case thanks for these releases and is there more coming?

Pushed a few updates over the last couple of days:
Kalinago
- rewrote most of the code for optimization.
- fixed issue where the UA stopped working if the unit with the ouboutou promotion was killed
- fixed issue where two different units could end up with the ouboutou promotion at the same time.
- fixed issue where the UU wouldn't provide happiness.
- fixed issue with incompatibility with other civs having a great prophet replacing UU.
- fixed issue where the player would sometimes end up with a regular great prophet instead of the UU.
- changed the logic behind the AI's usage of the UU. They are now less likely to expend citizens after having founded a religion themselves and even more less likely to when no more religions can be founded in the game.
- changed some help texts to make abilities/effects more clear.
- changed the decision text formatting to JFD's style.
- fixed clipping issue with the map in the civ selection menu.
- fixed issue with the decision "The Snake King" where the its bonus would apply.
- fixed issue with the decision "Spirit of the Rock" where the chosen units wouldn't have their health halved.
Syracuse
- Generally optimized code.
- Changed decisions text to JFD’s formatting.
- Fixed issue with two of the Archimedes decisions where the player wouldn’t get engineer and scientist points as intended.
- Changed UA such that you will now also get engineer points when buying siege units, where before this only applied to trained siege units.
- Changed the Syracusia unit to not be a special type unit (great person unit). It should still provide the effects of the great admiral tho, but this will avoid issues where city states can suddenly request or gift the Syracusia unit.
- Changed the flavors for the Archimedian Claw such that the AI is more likely to construct it.
- Tried to replicate reported issue of CTD occuring upon construction of the Archimedian Claw building - but without succes. Fortunately, I have never experienced CTDs happening bc of the UB and have only gotten one report on it.
IMPORTANT NOTE:
- This - and previous - versions contains a bug I have not been able to fix. The issue has to do with the UA and means that under very specific conditions the game *might* CTD. These conditions are that the player must be human (i.e. it will not happen for an AI player) and the player must expend two Great Engineers within only a few turns of each other. I am aware that this sounds weird - it is! - but unfortunately I have not been able to solve the issue.
Venezuela
- Generally optimized code.
- Changed the amount of Culture award from denounced civs and unit maintenance.
- Fixed some typos in the diplomacy text.
These civs - together with India - are the currently most up-to-date civs I have. Next updates are likely Epirus, Dacians (if they even need an update) and Tartessos.

Top Bottom