Dannebrog - Kingdom of Denmark

Exactly, we have a Norse past thus it is a part of our heritage. It is a part of our culture, our religion stems from Odin and Thor, not Christianity which we imported from other nations. That was my primary grief, if we should call it that. And yes, the rulers may have converted due to diplomatic reasons (Did we want a crusade to the north?), but the people took hundreds of years before they were christians.

Anyway, I may have misinterpreted you. My pet peeve was more that it seemed to me that you denounced the Norse as nothing to do with being Danish and raised Christianity as everything to do with being Danish. Clearly you did not, so apologies.

What do you mean with "it is a part of our heritage. It is a part of our culture, our religion stems from Odin and Thor"? As i see it next to nothing of modern denmark or the denmark of history has anything to do with our pagan past.
In fact most of our knowledge about that period comes through the eyes of early christian scripts.

Christianity on the other hand, has been the only religion of Denmark as a unified state.

Hehe, you do not see the pagan connection to modern society?
I will start you off with an easy one.
The names of the days.
Sunday = Suns Day
Monday = Moons Day
Tuesday = Tyrs Day
Wednesday = Wotans Day
Thursday = Thors Day
Friday = Freys Day
Saturday = Well its Saturns Day in english, but in the nordic language, this day wasn't dedicated a diety, but was named after Lør or Løver or laugar which means to wash, so in the pagan and modern denmark Saturday is called washingday.

Here we have all the modern names of the days of the week, named after pagan gods :)

Balder the son of wotan, was used as jesus christ as a means to convert our people into christianity.
Since we already had a lot of gods in the north, we didn't see it as a problem to add the southern european god called Jesus.
The first churches where build in pagan traditions, it depicted Wotan in the middle, with Thor and Balder on his sides.
Over time Wotan and Thor was removed, leaving only Balder.
And yet again over more time Balder was removed and replaced with Jesus.

Our social and welfare policies aswell as our laws in modern scandinavia all have roots to the germanic iron age.

Christianity however only have a 1000 year old history in denmark, whereas the asatru belief system dates atleast 11000 years back.
You can be the judge over which of the 2 religions have had the most influence over scandinavia.

EDIT: to add a little detail, before christianity, men and women where equal in scandinavia. And it was the woman who owned the material goods and wealth of the family! it wasnt untill after the introduction of christianity, that women could not own land and property, and was in fact themselves turned into proberty!
We could theorize that this has something to do with the reason that we have the highest equality in the world and that this also was the reason for woman liberating themselves up here, before the rest of europe!

I get TXT_KEY errors for every piece of new text in this mod, from cities to leader name...
Any ideas how to fix this issue?

If you ever need an actual Dane to help you with anything, I'm your man ;D Just drop me a PM.

Hehe, you do not see the pagan connection to modern society?
I will start you off with an easy one.
The names of the days.
Sunday = Suns Day
Monday = Moons Day
Tuesday = Tyrs Day
Wednesday = Wotans Day
Thursday = Thors Day
Friday = Freys Day
Saturday = Well its Saturns Day in english, but in the nordic language, this day wasn't dedicated a diety, but was named after Lør or Løver or laugar which means to wash, so in the pagan and modern denmark Saturday is called washingday.

Here we have all the modern names of the days of the week, named after pagan gods :)

Balder the son of wotan, was used as jesus christ as a means to convert our people into christianity.
Since we already had a lot of gods in the north, we didn't see it as a problem to add the southern european god called Jesus.
The first churches where build in pagan traditions, it depicted Wotan in the middle, with Thor and Balder on his sides.
Over time Wotan and Thor was removed, leaving only Balder.
And yet again over more time Balder was removed and replaced with Jesus.

Our social and welfare policies aswell as our laws in modern scandinavia all have roots to the germanic iron age.

Christianity however only have a 1000 year old history in denmark, whereas the asatru belief system dates atleast 11000 years back.
You can be the judge over which of the 2 religions have had the most influence over scandinavia.

EDIT: to add a little detail, before christianity, men and women where equal in scandinavia. And it was the woman who owned the material goods and wealth of the family! it wasnt untill after the introduction of christianity, that women could not own land and property, and was in fact themselves turned into proberty!
We could theorize that this has something to do with the reason that we have the highest equality in the world and that this also was the reason for woman liberating themselves up here, before the rest of europe!
Thanks for saving me the trouble. :p

Doesn't work for me either, I think the TXT_KEY errors makes it crash..

Anyone got a solution?

I ran in to this issue as well. I haven't tried fix on this mod but I have done it on a couple of other mods. I describe my fix in my last post on this thread:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=406550

Hope it helps.

Ok, thx for the tip!

But I didn't really understand the way to go. Should i change the city names in the civilization.xml?

Like for example:

<Civilization_CityNames>
<Row>
<CivilizationType>CIVILIZATION_DENMARK</CivilizationType>
<CityName>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_KOPENHAGEN_DEN</CityName>
</Row>

I added "DEN" after Kopenhagen, is that what you mean?

//Thx, South

Solved it. (I thought)

Here's what i did:

#In every xml-file, (with search and replace function) search for "txt_key_" and replace with nothing (blank) just to delete it.
#Same for "Civilopedia".

Tested and it works!

Edit: Worked fine when only playing as denmark, but when i played as Sweden, then Sweden had the Denmark flag. So deleting the txt_key(s) maybe weren't such a good idea...

Ok, thx for the tip!

But I didn't really understand the way to go. Should i change the city names in the civilization.xml?

Like for example:

<Civilization_CityNames>
<Row>
<CivilizationType>CIVILIZATION_DENMARK</CivilizationType>
<CityName>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_KOPENHAGEN_DEN</CityName>
</Row>

I added "DEN" after Kopenhagen, is that what you mean?

//Thx, South

Sorry I didn't answer sooner. Haven't had much time to play lately. That's was exactly what I meant. You only really have to to do it for the duplicates but I did it for all of them to assure later added cities wouldn't conflict.

Hey Joschka, nice to see a German wanting to do a Danish mod.

Hvide Ørn was originally the Swedish Hvita Örn, taken as a prize by Tordenskjold (he was of Norwegian descent). Nice find, if I may say, as it was a much feared frigate in the Baltic waters somewhere around 1710. But if you want to match the timeline with Margereth I, I suggest you look towards one of the twin-sister kravelbuilt ships Maria and Engelen. In the wars against Lübeck and the Hansa-league around 1500, they were described by the surviving seamen as "hen-mothers protecting their Danish chickens against every attack the Hansa ships could assimilate" and much feared far down Europe. Although Margareth 1 died (probably from plaque, on a ship) in 1412, this kravel shiptype could easily look like the caravel already in the game.

And I agree with the "Soundtoll" being one very successfull and unique building.
Dont put in any landunits, we´ve always sucked and lost on land :)

Oh, and Copenhagen was not always our capitol, our ancient kings lived in cities called Lejre, Jelling, Ribe and Roskilde before 1400.

in the playable civs list.

I have downloaded and installed it, and I can see that I should be able to use it in single player. But it doesn't show up there.

Z

disregard this...I was stupid and didn't notice the "enable" option

><

I don't know if this is just me installing it wrong, but my Orlogsskibe comes with a hefty naval attack penalty, just like a land unit attacking over a river. This is kind of a problem, since they rarely leave water! :D

Are there any way I could fix that myself?

-Cnut is just off. I suppose the Canute (which if even weirder), or Knut might be the correct Anglicized form, but I see no reason not to go with his Danish name Knud?

How ironic, considering "Cnut" is how his name was spelled during his lifetime. The letter "k" was not used in Old Norse spellings until standardizations in later times. The later Danish spellings "Knut" and "Knud" are much more modern, as is the English "Canute." :)

See below, where the Latin is rendered "Cnvt":

Danish empire Dlc is out

I ran in to this issue as well. I haven't tried fix on this mod but I have done it on a couple of other mods. I describe my fix in my last post on this thread:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=406550

Hope it helps.

I also have the TXT KEY issue posted: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=10823545#post10823545. However, I don't know anything about changing xml files etc, so I can't apply your solution. If you want to give me a step-by-step from start to finish, feel free to do so! :D

Harald Bluetooth has never ruled over Norway, not even parts of it, just Danish brawling or at least a huge simplification of what really happened. At the best he claimed taxes from some Norwegian chieftains around Viken.

To make a long story short; when Harald, supported by the famous Norwegian renegades known as the Jomsvikings finally tryed to put power behind he`s words and attacked Norway (who didn`t have a king after Haakon the good`s death in 963) he was beaten in a seabattle at the Norwegian westcoast.

The Danish version of this doesn`t even mention this battle, only that Harold didn`t meet the Norwegian chieftains again after this "visit".

Old topic, but none the less:

While the known facts about the Jomsvikings are sketchy at best, there's nothing to suggest they had anything to do with Norway. All legends suggest them being created either by Harald Bluetooth or Palnatoke, both distinctively Danish.

Back in those days, it was rare that a single person could claim rulership of a nation or region. Most often you'd have several people claiming to be king/ruler of the same place.
For a period of a few years though, no one had the power to truely dispute Haralds claim of Norway, and as such he could rightly be called the ruler of Norway for those few years, even if most people in Norway wouldn't agree, and that the area in question didn't actually consist of all of Norway. Rulership in those days was a fairly loose term. His claim was to the title of "King of Norway" - a title which he did hold. He did not hold actual power over much of Norway, that is true.

Finally, let's not make it out as if Harald Bluetooth and his feats are some sort of Danish propaganda. In fact, Harald is generally portraited in a rather poor light.

Top Bottom