Dannebrog - Kingdom of Denmark

Joschka

Chieftain
Hey guys, I just wanted to inform you that I released my first mod on GameSpy; "Dannebrog - Kingdom of Denmark" I put much effort into it, but it's far from being finished. However, if you always wanted to play Denmark, here we go:

Follow Cnut the Great, a medieval viking King of Denmark and fly the Dannebrog all over the world!

Features:
- Two unique Units:
1) The Longboat. It replaces the Trireme and is able to move on deep ocean hexes.
2) The Viking. A fast medieval infantry unit (3 Move points), which replaces the Longswordsman.
- A new Trait: Maritime Trade. Grants a free Great Merchant when discovering the compass and 75% more citystate influence.
- A lot of self drawn art
- 20 Danish Cities
- Red/white color scheme

Please note that this mod is still in beta!
English translation for the loading screen (It's german right now, I'm not even danish, shame on me!) as well as a finished DoM-Picture will be added soon.

Feedback is appreciated! :D

Checked that ten times, the english spelling is Cnut or Canute, you can say Knut though. I probably change that, it's more danish with the k :p

Knut is also the scandinavian version. :) Looks interesting anyway, will try it out even though I was hoping for a Swedish civ before danish ;)

If you're interested, take v.2, I just released it. Knut stays Knut now and more important, the hide unit icon button now actually works :D

Hey great work!
as for the name, Caunte is the anglo-normal history book spelling and Cnut was probably how it was pronounced at the time and as its recorded by Anglo-Saxon and Anglo-Danish chroniclers. and Knut is how not-english people spell it. also, Cunetes, Knútr and in the 19th century it had about twelve other spellings too, so go with the one you like as well, anything goes.

Anyway, Awesome Work!!

I just wrote the english Dawn of Man text and as I already mentioned, I'm German and my English is just mediocre, so you may help me here a little ;)

"The Danes were a North Germanic tribe residing in modern day southern Sweden (Skane) and on the Danish islands, later they also moved to Jutland. In the 10th century Gorm the Old unified the small kingdoms of denmark. Around 960 his son Harald "Bluetooth" Gormsson converted to Christianity. The danish Empire expanded and reached it's peak in 1035 with the death of Knut the Great. He ruled the British Islands, Norway and Schleswig.
[NEWLINE][NEWLINE]
In medieval times all the people of the Baltic Sea and North Sea feared the fast Pillages of the Danish. Their ships and excellent maritime skills were far ahead of the times and the pagan Norsemen also razed and looted churches as well as monasteries. The Danish were commonly called Norsemen or Vikings, even though just a small part of the scandinavian population belonged to the marauding raiders."

If there are any major mistakes or discrepancies, please write it down here! Thanks in anticipation.

"The Danes were a North Germanic tribe residing in modern day south Sweden (Skane) and on the Danish islands; they later moved to Jutland. In the 10th century, Gorm the Old unified the small kingdoms of Denmark. Around 960, his son Harald "Bluetooth" Gormsson converted to Christianity. The Danish Empire expanded and reached its peak in 1035 with the death of Knut the Great. He ruled the British Islands, Norway and Schleswig.
[NEWLINE][NEWLINE]
In medieval times, all the people of the Baltic Sea and North Sea feared the fast Danish pillages. Their excellent maritime skills and ships were way ahead of their time. The pagan Norsemen razed and looted churches and monasteries. The Danish were commonly called Norsemen or Vikings, even though just a small part of the Scandinavian population belonged to the marauding raiders."

Alright, another one:

"The famous Viking King of Denmark Knut the Great (Knut den Store) was born in 985. After his Victories over Edmund Ironside near London he claimed the english throne and made England to his base of further operations. He married the widow of Æthelred the unfinished, Ema of the Normandy and converted to Christianity. He was the second son of the Danish king Sweyn Forkbeard and an heir to a line of Scandinavian rulers central to the unification of Denmark.
[NEWLINE][NEWLINE]
With the death of his brother Harald II. in 1019 Knut also took the crown of Denmark; he chose his brother-in-law Ulf Jarl as his appointee. In 1028 he conquered the kingdom of Olaf of Norway. At this time he reigned over Denmark, Norway and England. Cnut died in 1035, at the Abbey in Shaftesbury. His burial was in Winchester, the English capital of the time. He was succeeded by his sons but they did not long outlive him. The line of Danish rulers in England came to an end within a decade, although its legacy did not."

How does the leadere head look? i havent seen anthing about leader heads by other people. can you upload some pics?

Hahah, this is great! I never did expect to see my own nation in Civ. :D
Though there are a few things I'd like to comment:

-Cnut is just off. I suppose the Canute (which if even weirder), or Knut might be the correct Anglicized form, but I see no reason not to go with his Danish name Knud?

-Dannebrog is the name of the Danish flag, and even though it has great symbolical and mythical in Danish tradition, I'm not sure you want to name the civilization that?

-It's Skåne, not Skane.

-Harald Blåtand (Harald Bluetooth), is known as just that - not Gormsson, even though he was the son of Gorm den Gamle (Gorm the Old).

-It can be debated when the Danish Realm was at it's largest. Though, yes, by the 1030's we had conquered both Norway and England, and Skåne was in our possession (which is geographically part of Sweden, as well officially being part of Sweden today), though back then Skåne was culturally Danish.
Hundreds of years later we were no longer in possession of England, but through the Kalmar Union all of Denmark, Norway, Sweden and Iceland was under one rule, and we had colonized and assimilated Greenland into our realm, among other areas. Yet later, after the Kalmar Union had dissolved we we were solely in posession of Greenland, Iceland, some minor areas as well as the Danish West Indies on the other side of the globe. So yeah, it's hard to say when we were at our peak. :)

-"Sweyn Forkbeard"? His name was Svend Tveskæg (Forkbeard) - I'm sure that even Svend will be more familiar even to native English speakers than Sweyn ;)

I don't mean to be harsh, I just felt like adding some input. :)
Overall, great job! It's nice to see the Danish in the game! :D

EDIT:
By the way, I simply love your artwork! It's beautiful! :D

Nice to see a Danish here! Knut has already been renamed, I got rid of the C. Dannebrog is just the Title of the Mod, the Civ is called "Kingdom of Denmark" (or just Denmark) as you can see in the screenshot above.

I can't write the circle above the A, the german keyboard only offers ÄÖÜ dots :D Ill bear your historical corrections in mind, thank you very much for the comment.

Hahah, thanks - nice to see a german here too d:
Sounds good, mate - I like how you're dedicated to improving the mod! I'll definitely play it myself, just to hand them smelly Vikings some whoop-ass! ;D

Heh, I understand that your keyboard may be linguistically challenged in the way of Danish. Though you can produce the letters by holding left ALT and then a combination of the numpad numbers.
As a workaround, though, I will provide the special Danish letters here - then you can simply copy-paste them if you'd like. :)
Here goes: Ææ Øø Åå

I'll be sure to stick around in this thread, so if you have any questions about Danes, Danish, Danish culture or Danish history, you can count on me as a your advisor - and I promise to do a better job at advising, than those ingame CiV ones ;D
Also, be sure to check the edit of my last post. Didn't want to repost it, but didn't want you to miss that either. :)

EDIT:
Also, maybe you want to change "Dominions of Cnut(or Knut, or Knud, or whatever he's called in your mod now :D)" to "Realm of Knud", since Realm is probably the closest word in English to the Danish word "Rige", a word that is used in Danish for both the historical realm of Denmark, while today Danmarks Rige (The Realm of Denmark) it refers to not just Denmark, but also the semi-autonomous Greenland and Faeroe Islands. I guess the word "Rige" is almost exactly the same as the German "Reich" - just without the negative Nazi-connotations, of course.
Though, I can understand if you're reluctant to change it, since it's part of a picture - and that might be a hassle to edit.

EDIT2:
By the way, I am also very pleased to see that we get such as peaceful UA! Usually the Vikings are regarded as nothing but brutes - and though they might have been quite barbaric, that's not the whole truth. The Vikings were extremely competent maritime traders, something often overlooked. They sailed all the way to America, and I'm pretty sure they conducted trade past the equator in the old world as well.

-"Sweyn Forkbeard"? His name was Svend Tveskæg (Forkbeard) - I'm sure that even Svend will be more familiar even to native English speakers than Sweyn ;)

Actually Sweyn Forkbeard featured in a Civ4 Vikings mod, so he should be familiar by now. ;)

I've tried adding your civ/mod to my map, but when i do the game wont load, the mod is enabled
any idea why? i dont know what info i can give except this

Top Bottom