[BTS] Darius fractal map

jnebbe

Prince
Hi, wanted to share a map I've been playing the past week, probably the most fun I've had playing civ in the past year. Even though I lost (made several very big mistakes) it was still a really fun map and it shouldn't be too hard for a better player.

First save attached is immortal, 2nd is a diety one I made (you must add archery to barbs like in nc saves, sorry this is my first time messing with wb saves)

Leader is Darius
Fractal map
Normal speed, size, 6 ais, no huts/random events
Iso?
Spoiler :

Not iso

Also I played without vassals and AP, diety save should be normal

I heard you like seafood starts:
Spoiler :

Good luck :goodjob:

Attachments

• Darius T0.CivBeyondSwordSave
    35.6 KB · Views: 41
  • darius diety only.CivBeyondSwordWBSave
    376 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Thanks for the save. Would be interesting to see how strong deity players cope with all this food. Add the half price lighthouse you even have more food sooner.
Question: When is enough food enough?

Hunting and agriculture as starting tech, yuck. Do we need the sacred granary early? Do we need wheels at all? When should workers and bw for whipping and chopping fit in? Should we cross the strait early?

Last edited:
Hi josh, Are you sure you added extra settler to neighbour?
Have no clue turn 20, but did you also remember to add barb their deity techs?

Spoiler Turn 20 :

Settled PH east. Went fishing, warrior, boat. Then worker, AH. T20. Plan: settler, mining, bw.
AH also for pigs, and revealing horses and keep worker busy. Not sure if this path is most effective. Sooner or later cities scream for FIN cottages. Gambled on trading wheel, pottery later.

Semi isolation? Might well be. Sury put more spy points on me than my four on him.

Last edited:
Spoiler T40 :

My first thought when seeing much food is always "Oh my, how do I split this up?"
Here is one option for how to split.
Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG

Whenever these forum maps come up, I always think I'm stuck without any land whatsoever, and also lacking strategic resources, so I thought about perhaps settling here for a capital to block off land. It's also in better sync with Darius starting techs. But I decide if it's something super there I can always more more lanter.
Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG

T1 settlement on that PH, or T3 out west... No, can't justify moving.
I also note that there is a offshore island with room for at least 2 cities but likely 3 too, and I have room for 3 on my mainland.
GLH could be supergood here.
Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG

Demographics show that competition for GLH could be stiff.
Have to do a all or nothing attempt.
Darius helps alot here I think, half-price lighthouse and also the financial seafood will act almost as goldmines.
Civ4ScreenShot0004.JPG

Chopping needs to be preserved though, this will be a depressing start expansion wise.
I start with a worker while teching fishing. Reasoning I need a worker eventually, and once I reach fishing I'll go for the PH for 5 hammers total and get a workboat in 6 turns. And after that I want to grow, so better get started with the worker now as the opportunity cost for doing him later is higher I think.

Very good peninsula, easily defended. I should have just gone back with scout and taken up position 1W of pigs here, that blocks all barb entries.
But I was eager to scout...
Civ4ScreenShot0006.JPG

Once the fish was in, I grew to pop2, had time before worker started to decay, but now I have to finish that guy.
Emphasis on commerce here, have alot of tech I need in a short time.
Worker got to stand 1W of sheep fogbusting a few tiles before BW got done and he could start to pre-chop.
He got to finish a chop 1N of wheat, as thats a likely city spot.
Civ4ScreenShot0009.JPG

Scout had danced around that western warrior for ages and then took a chance and died. Luckily no archers. :) (I did add tech!)
Civ4ScreenShot0011.JPG

This seems like a sensible settlement of the west. Vicky is far away and I'm sure to get some of this. Crabs way later when barbs have calmed down though.
Now I'm scrambling to get some warriors out to secure the peninsula.
Civ4ScreenShot0012.JPG

Sailing is in, and will finish it in two turns creating alot of financial oasises along the coast. :)
Civ4ScreenShot0013.JPG

Shuffling around tiles to fill that worker to 29/60, want to start the GLH build with the overflow from him, then he can start chopping.
Civ4ScreenShot0014.JPG

Spoiler T56 :

Revolt now. I should probably have gotten the second WB done earlier and revolted once it was in transit.
Once I had two warriors, they started moving west,
Civ4ScreenShot0015.JPG

Bad luck killed the one on the hill, and the barb didn't get damaged enough for the buddy to retaliate. :/ I did move back here, and then moved 1S of fish.
The barb wandered away and I could take up position on the pigs.
Civ4ScreenShot0016.JPG

Now it's full expansion mode on.
I should get a workboat out to find sury, if he gets writing the traderoutes to him would be superb.
Should probably settle on the horse first to get some immortal out.
Low happycap dictages I should try to do a 4-pop whip of settler every 10 turns, and slow-build another inbetween.
Civ4ScreenShot0017.JPG

Mistakes:
Spoiler :

* Too greedy with scouting, starting scout should have stayed put from the start, blocking of the peninsula.
* Too lean approach in the very start, should have squeezed in a second workboat rather than going full emphasis on commerce (ie, should have worked forested plains hill, rather than clams). The second workboat for the fish would have paid itself many times over.

Attachments

• T56 - jnebbeDariusMap_Krikav BC-1760.CivBeyondSwordSave
    100.6 KB · Views: 31
Spoiler T56 :

Revolt now. I should probably have gotten the second WB done earlier and revolted once it was in transit.
Once I had two warriors, they started moving west,
View attachment 591652

Bad luck killed the one on the hill, and the barb didn't get damaged enough for the buddy to retaliate. :/ I did move back here, and then moved 1S of fish.
The barb wandered away and I could take up position on the pigs.
View attachment 591653

Now it's full expansion mode on.
I should get a workboat out to find sury, if he gets writing the traderoutes to him would be superb.
Should probably settle on the horse first to get some immortal out.
Low happycap dictages I should try to do a 4-pop whip of settler every 10 turns, and slow-build another inbetween.
View attachment 591654

Mistakes:
Spoiler :

* Too greedy with scouting, starting scout should have stayed put from the start, blocking of the peninsula.
* Too lean approach in the very start, should have squeezed in a second workboat rather than going full emphasis on commerce (ie, should have worked forested plains hill, rather than clams). The second workboat for the fish would have paid itself many times over.
Good call with TGL, Krikav. Looking forward to see how you play this out. For once I went normal mode fast rexing towards nice spots. Also on turn 56, 3 cities, 4th a few turns away. Have sailing and just finished writing. Lacking fantasy these days so perhaps the standard aesthetic route and continued rexing. How far west would you expand before crossing the strait with settlers?

Somewhat standard is, one offshore first, then alternating cities untill 3-3. (Maximizes domestic traderoutes.
If I get OB earlier, things change.
Haven't opened the game yet, was going to play another game I have on hold this evening but could play this one abit further. :D

Played till turn 100. Fun map!
Spoiler :

Settled 1E, Fishing > Mining > BW > Masonry > Sailing > AH > Writing. Starting location already hinted at GLH being strong play here, built it on T78 (1080 BC). No problems with barbs luckily. 3 cities by T64, 4 by T72, currently at 6 cities. 2 settlers soon + 2 nice barb cities west should bring my cities to 10 before 1 AD (hopefully).

Civ4ScreenShot0012.JPG

Civ4ScreenShot0013.JPG

Sury to the west will be a problem. If I can convert him to Buddism (which Victoria is spreading) I should be fine.

Horses secured and iron nearby, so domination victory with Cuirs seems most likely.

Played till turn 100. Fun map!
Spoiler :

Settled 1E, Fishing > Mining > BW > Masonry > Sailing > AH > Writing. Starting location already hinted at GLH being strong play here, built it on T78 (1080 BC). No problems with barbs luckily. 3 cities by T64, 4 by T72, currently at 6 cities. 2 settlers soon + 2 nice barb cities west should bring my cities to 10 before 1 AD (hopefully).

View attachment 591706

View attachment 591707

Sury to the west will be a problem. If I can convert him to Buddism (which Victoria is spreading) I should be fine.

Horses secured and iron nearby, so domination victory with Cuirs seems most likely.
Very nice :thumbsup:
I went the colossus route and settled on the copper to the west, probably not as viable on diety.
I think one of my biggest mistakes was that furthest I expanded was the copper city and only had 8 cities by the time I made cuirs, looks like you'll be doing that better

Spoiler T100 :

Sent the first settler (OF from the whip finished galley) to the PH that could hold fish+clam.
Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG

Had to leave capital to secure this town. Only one warrior died so I could redirect chop to capital.
Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG

Sury had an archer standing in this forest, so I wanted to scout abit further east, but when I saw these I just settled.
Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG

I sent out two workboats, in either directions to find the other AIs and get yummy traderoutes. No such luck, both coasts are covered in barb cities, and both boats got gibbed by barb galleys. :|
Civ4ScreenShot0004.JPG

Really really feel the hungover from the speedy GLH rush. Cities are underdeveloped and it was quite a struggle getting worboats and warriors up.
Looks like immortals could have quite a feast on barb archers in the west, gaining a bunch of cities there.
Happines is problematic, have not gotten monarcy yet.
Gave a city to Sury to get him pleased. Think going OR just to befriend him is a good idea, it does look like he is on his own island, and defending those cities would be close to impossible if he gets any ideas.
Civ4ScreenShot0005.JPG

Attachments

• T100 - jnebbeDariusMap_Krikav BC-0375.CivBeyondSwordSave
    164.2 KB · Views: 36
@mscellaneous and @krikav
Spoiler :

What was your tech pat after writing?
msc are building research already, so straight to alpha?
krikav go aesthetic route?

I am always torn after writing. If marble aesthetics is more appealing, extra failgold in addition to trade value. Alternative, math or alpha then currency and civil service eventually. Here in addition organised religion is something to keep Sury calm.

@Major Tom
Spoiler :

I saw that Willy wanted to trade away math pretty early, so I just went for aestethics right away to get into the trading game for alpha/math/IW.
I was behind alot in my game, so would have to remain in slavery a long time yet to get new cities granaries so CoL wasn't that interesting I thought.
Going drama next to possibly get monarchy, and maybe part of currency?
Abit screwed by GLH here as I'll get a GMerch so won't really be able to bulb philo.

If continuing from here, I would almost certainly just abandon ambitious hopes of bulbing philo, or going music etc.
Would just continue to expand rapidly, probably going compass next for the next good tradebait.
Sink hammers into immortals to get the barb cities.

I almost never go for math/alpha in my games, except in construction rushes or math-bulb assisted HA rushes.
It's either aestethics, CoL, MC or Compass.
Depends on what company you got ofcourse.
Perhaps I should consider math->currency more? Currency is a really nice tech and it's not always you get it in a trade until much later.

@Major Tom
Spoiler :

I saw that Willy wanted to trade away math pretty early, so I just went for aestethics right away to get into the trading game for alpha/math/IW.
I was behind alot in my game, so would have to remain in slavery a long time yet to get new cities granaries so CoL wasn't that interesting I thought.
Going drama next to possibly get monarchy, and maybe part of currency?
Abit screwed by GLH here as I'll get a GMerch so won't really be able to bulb philo.

If continuing from here, I would almost certainly just abandon ambitious hopes of bulbing philo, or going music etc.
Would just continue to expand rapidly, probably going compass next for the next good tradebait.
Sink hammers into immortals to get the barb cities.

I almost never go for math/alpha in my games, except in construction rushes or math-bulb assisted HA rushes.
It's either aestethics, CoL, MC or Compass.
Depends on what company you got ofcourse.
Perhaps I should consider math->currency more? Currency is a really nice tech and it's not always you get it in a trade until much later.

Turn 100
Spoiler :

Oh, I wish I had scouted map more to find more trading partners.
Wanted to beeline Currency, just to take alternative path. Started out with alpha, but soon Vicky had it so switched to aesthetic. Finished that just to see Sury had it. Anyway, got something out of it. Turn 100 just finished CoL so have math, monarchy and start CS. 7 cities, 2 across strait. Will crash immortals into barb cities to the west and take it from there.

would be cool to see what date you are ready for courier rush.

I think on deity with access to trading partners, you should very rarely tech alpha or maths. They are just so easy to get via trade and delaying them doesn't hurt much.

I think on deity with access to trading partners, you should very rarely tech alpha or maths. They are just so easy to get via trade and delaying them doesn't hurt much.
Right, Sampsa and I rarely do. But since Krikav took an early wonder and aes path and mc another twist, I thought it would be interesting to compare a currency/CS beeline. Give the map a go Sampsa, until you are ready to clean the map. Think you will have good and interesting points for this actual map.

Sorry @Major Tom I think this is as far as I go on this map. Starting to move into a micro intensive period now and I personally don't expect different games to diverge too much.

If not GLH, then currency is really good (currency is still good though).
CS i'm not as sure about, with GLH and with a larger empire (which this map should result in) the relative gain from burocracy isn't as large.
Ofocourse it's good, but not sure a beeline is worth it.

I think @mscellaneous took the immortal save? Good to compare our two games abit since one is "Get GLH at all cost" and one is "Sure, GLH would be awesome, but let's not completely disregard early expansion for it."
Often the first approach is needed on deity, whereas the second approach is better whenever you can get away with it.

Top Bottom