1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Darius the Great and the Endless Age of Gold

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by AbbieRevo, Jul 30, 2012.

1. AbbieRevo

AbbieRevo Non-Voting Delegate

Hi All,

So, as my first full game of G&K I decided to try Darius, because I was interested to see how his UA was affected by Artists being the only great person who can pop a golden age, and the fact the golden ages from great artists no longer decrease in length the more of them you use.

Managed to get Chitchen Itza, and spent the rest of a game in a constant golden age.

I'm sure this was possible in Vanilla, but it seems a lot easier now, just keep popping artists and let the good times roll (and the bad times for your enemies, because now all your units have 3 moves instead of 2 for the rest of the game, and a 10% bonus to combat)

Anyone else tried this? Any one try it in Vanilla?

Do you think they should patch this somehow? Maybe make the great artist golden age a little shorter? Or maybe get rid of Darius's +1 move during golden age?

2. Smokeybear

Smokeybear Emperor

With Chichen Itza and completed Freedom tree, you can do that with any civ. Particularly with a small cultural empire. Just a bit easier with Darius. He's fine the way he is. If it was greatly overpowered, you'd see the Persians being runaway victors all the time. I rarely do.

3. HelloGoodbye123

HelloGoodbye123 Warlord

No, should not be patched....
    Also, Greeks can be be allies and never be out of ally status, with religion, pledge to protect, and patronage..

some guy discovered this on the other forums..

the decreasing rate was 0% he also posted a picture, thought was kind of neat..

also, aztecs, with 10% food pantheon, and another 15% food from follower belief, and floating gardens, thats +40% plus tradition, thats what 50%-60% extra food?

just because you think somethings overpowering, doesnt mean it HAS to be patched, its their unique routes, in a good players hands civs WILL feel overpowering.. you seem like the good player who decided to take the good route, obviously artists arent coming into the empire every single turn..

4. Scarpa

Scarpa Prince

I had over 80 turns of golden age to end a recent Byzantine culture victory.

It got me thinking about a late renaissane or early industrial Persian domination game, go heavy culture early to generate the artists then rampage.

5. Esperr

Esperr King

The endless GA was easier in vanila I think, just because any GP could pop the GA for you, but I havnt tried it yet in G & K so I could be wrong.

6. Glassmage

Glassmage The Desert Flame

not really, focusing on GA is better than ever. Before, you have everyone make Golden Age but the Golden Age turns reduce for each great people usage until 3 turns. Now, you spam Artists and get 8 turns for each. The only obstacle if you go to war is Great General and Admiral spawn too much.

7. GenjiKhan

GenjiKhan Emperor

If any GP could start a GA at G&K,then Persia would become insanely overpowered for Domination victory . At G&K,Persia seems to be better suited for Cultural victory than Domination,which wasn't the case of Civ5 Vanilla .

8. Lyoncet

Lyoncet Emperor

Actually, Persia is probably one of the most frequent runaway AI out there on high difficulties, and one of the few who can power his way well beyond any other civ without even having to war with anyone. But that's not because Achaemenid Dynasty is broken, it's just because the AI happens to get tons of happiness on those settings, and the Persians are in the best position to take advantage of that. It's a case for rethinking the bonuses the AI gets on high difficulties, not for diminishing Persia's UA.

9. budweiser

budweiser King of the Beers

Maybe its just the way I play but most of my games end with me in a GA for 75% to 80% of all turns after about 200 to 225 no matter who I play.

10. HelloGoodbye123

HelloGoodbye123 Warlord

so...., is everyone forgetting that china HAS MORE % strength gain from a general than a persian golden age?

and that great generals dont dissapear after say a X amount of turns? as does the golden age.. ?

if you should be complaining it should be about china...

China with a general = +30%
    persia with general and golden age = +25%

11. Lyoncet

Lyoncet Emperor

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you've forgotten that Achaemenid Legacy does more than give a strength bonus.

12. PhilBowles

PhilBowles Deity

I quite often do (although they're not too strong in my current game), though I certainly wouldn't call them overpowered. Darius' UA takes work to keep it going, and doesn't give you any advantages while you aren't in a GA - which is exactly what you'd want with a strong UA.

13. cman2010

cman2010 King

I was going to say the same in one of my recent gods and kings games persia was in the lead for most of the game.

14. Smokeybear

Smokeybear Emperor

::shrug:: Different players, different experiences. I've had Darius in a number of my G&K games, and he always ends up as either an also-ran or a speed bump.

15. AbbieRevo

AbbieRevo Non-Voting Delegate

+10% and more importantly +1 move for ALL units, not just military.

16. HelloGoodbye123

HelloGoodbye123 Warlord

What I was really trying to say, yes persia is quite strong in their golden ages, as china is with their great generals. Both civs have strong advantages, of course one has a 5% trade off with the +1 movement. and you can agree both civs can completely destroy their neighbors, persia with their immortals and china with their chu ko nus ..

I just dont like that ppl go posting around that just because a civ gets this one advantage, that they should be nerfed... I find that a popular trend at these forums..

if everything was nice and balanced.. like SUPER BALANCED.. wheres the fun?

17. Babri

Babri Emperor

Well Darius is called 'the Great' for a reason. :p