Darker Clouds for Fog of War?

Deliverator

Graphical Hackificator
In the early days of Civ 5 you could reskin the FoW clouds to a more blackish Civ 4 style by overwriting files directly in ..\Resource\DX9\ as described in
this thread.

The files in question are: fogcloudtile_dif_01.dds, fogcloudtile_dif_02.dds, fogcloudtile_dif_03.dds and fx_fog_dif.dds. The Zyxpsilon's darker versions look like this:

I've copied these darker cloud dds files into my resource folder (overwriting the existing ones) but it doesn't pick up in game. Overwriting game assets directly in the resource folder doesn't seem to work anymore. Anyone know why?

The only reference to these dds files is inside CivilizationV.exe so I'm guess it is not possible to swap them using SQL or Lua or something.

Even if there was a non-Mod way to change these I'd be happy to find it as I think darker clouds would suit a lot of mods.

Attachments

• fogskins.jpg
    fogskins.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 1,879
In config.ini, try changing the following

Code:
; Set to 1 to have loose files override PAK files if the loose file is newer
LooseFilesOverridePAK = 0

In config.ini, try changing the following

Code:
; Set to 1 to have loose files override PAK files if the loose file is newer
LooseFilesOverridePAK = 0

That sounds like exactly what I want thanks.

Also discovered an intriguing CSV file called fogcolor.csv that just has a single RGB value in it that is pale blue. I'm going to try setting that to black to see if does anything.

It works! I also had to put the files under the Assets folder as per this thread. Now to make the textures look more storm like...

Attachments

• dark_clouds.jpg
    dark_clouds.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 1,507
Does LooseFilesOverridePAK = 1 allow these to be added by VFS=true?

Even if not, it's still worth it to tone down the Civ5 overly sparkly atmosphere. Any chance that plots could be toned down too? This could all be packaged together into an installer to include with a mod.

Even if not, it's still worth it to tone down the Civ5 overly sparkly atmosphere. Any chance that plots could be toned down too? This could all be packaged together into an installer to include with a mod.

It doesn't work with VFS=true. Only putting the files somewhere under Assets works.

Yeah, it was your "Ponies and Unicorns" that made me think I should look into this! Yes, the plots can be made darker easily enough. I'm going to play around with the lighting textures that could be the easiest way to globally affect brightness.

Excellent! (Edit: that you are working on lighting; not the vfs answer)

Just curious: will these files be deleted when steam updates for a new patch? I'm guessing No because the unpacked assets aren't there in a "base install" and these haven't been deleted.

Here are my tweaked dark fog files. Just unzip to within Assets.

You do get the occasional dark straight lines - it might be possible to fix these. I think you get them with the white clouds but it's more obvious with the dark.

Attachments

• darkclouds.jpg
    darkclouds.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 1,075
  • Texture_Overwrite_DDS.zip
    2.2 MB · Views: 187
Okay, here is a silly idea, but the kind of thing that sometimes takes off. Is it possible to change the color of the clouds based on the time of day (the humans day, not the mythical 'game day')? Later = darker? :) BTW this is a great, somewhat simple to implement idea (not mine, yours - darker fog of war) because it adds a hole new look and feel to things. Imagine, for example, combining it with a total conversion mod set in a dark fantasy world. The dark clouds would be a great atmospheric effect.

I think LooseFilesOverridePAK has no effect at all.

Just curious: will these files be deleted when steam updates for a new patch? I'm guessing No because the unpacked assets aren't there in a "base install" and these haven't been deleted.
They'll stay with new patches.

Top Bottom