1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

darn patch didn't speed up turns

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Mr_Wonka, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Mr_Wonka

Mr_Wonka Chieftain

what the heck do these guys do all day at work? The patch didn't even address the overly annoying waiting between turns. They want me running 30 gigs of ram for the game? I don't get it.

2. ZimbuTheMonkey

ZimbuTheMonkey King

What's the turn time got to do with your ram?

3. Mr_Wonka

Mr_Wonka Chieftain

I have no fricken clue. I meet the recommended requirements.

I honestly can't play the game anymore because it drives me nuts. I like playing fast.

4. ZimbuTheMonkey

ZimbuTheMonkey King

Well, I'm with you there.

I want to play Civ V, but I can't get myself to start a new game because of the time it takes even in duel and tiny maps.

5. Stuie

Stuie Laudir Agus Mir

Turns are actually faster for me. *shrug*

6. firecat318

firecat318 Warlord

Not trying to gloat, but on standard sized maps even in the late game the most it will take between turns is 10-15 seconds, and I have an average system at best. Intel core 2 duo 4 Gigs of Ram and a HD 4870 graphics card.

7. Dark_Jedi06

Dark_Jedi06 "Deus ex Machina."

Well it sucks to be you then, because I've noticed at least a 50% decrease in the time between turns. The last game I played went all the way through the Modern age with a tolerable time between turns versus what it was pre-patch.

8. ZimbuTheMonkey

ZimbuTheMonkey King

I haven't played with the new patch. I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

9. Mr_Wonka

Mr_Wonka Chieftain

no, its cool man. I got about the same system I think. my computer was like 2500 bucks a couple years ago.

I don't know, I loved zipping through turns early game when playing civ 4. the user interface makes it a pain in the arse to zip though turns. I hate waiting 2-3 seconds early game. I like it instant, like it was in civ 4.

10. Rohili

Rohili King

I really don't get all these complaints about turns taking too long. I play Civ on a thin-and-light laptop that isn't particularly powerful (and which heats up quite a lot while I'm playing), yet turns don't take more than 15 seconds in the late game. I've also never experienced any crashes.

This was pre-patch, btw.

11. dexters

dexters Gods & Emperors Supporter

I don't believe it was advertised as such. There was a fix to worker pathfinding which 2K greg said would have some impact on IBT turn times, but the major issue appears to be the cultural borders issue, which had an ugly community fix (limiting all Civs to 1 worker per Civ).

Not sure if that was fixed.

12. ZimbuTheMonkey

ZimbuTheMonkey King

Did it occur to you that perhaps the problem has nothing to do with the power of your machine?

13. Surgeon

Surgeon Warlord

Did it occur to you that it does?

14. stormerne

stormerne is just a Retired Moderator

The game software software seems to use techniques that allow fast prototyping and fast modding. However, these same techniques cause the game to run slowly. This is a standard early development ploy, and if development is not rushed it's often fixed before release. They could optimize it now but then the game bugs and gameplay issues would then be harder to fix and they still have plenty of those to address. So speed will therefore be one of the last things I expect they'll fix.

15. ZimbuTheMonkey

ZimbuTheMonkey King

Yes, it did.

Which is why I'm not making posts pretending to know why this particular problem manifests itself, like the poster I quoted did.

Spoiler :
    But good try I guess.

16. V. Soma

V. Soma long time civ fan

as to crashes, yes, now on patch 62 I crash more than before...

what I will do is seriously CLOSE all other thngs running, like anti-virus software, other things,
    and check again the game...

17. JustAnother

JustAnother Chieftain

If you can't even wait 2-3 sec , don't play the game. Go play something like sc2.

18. Ighten

Ighten Chieftain

LOngest turn I have ever seen is about 15-20secs late game..Im not sure its been patched or optimized (surely that comes down to processor speed)... One thing that does seem to have been fixed are the micro stutters when you scroll around the map during the AI turn

19. Zenstrive

Zenstrive Ocean King

No, you are imagining things. Things are faster in my rig (Athlon II X2 245, 4 GB of RAM, Radeon HD5770)

20. Rohili

Rohili King

I tried playing Civ on higher graphics settings and turns now seem noticeably longer. So maybe you guys are playing at graphics settings that are too high? Most of my settings are at low or medium (but never minimum - that would be too ugly).